Mstation Vs This?

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2004, 19:42

Anonymous

I have looked at a few options & I think I have narrowed it down to:

Mstation as discussed here:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=mstation m

OR

m http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Dens ... units.html m

However, I have never heard of Dension  s:? :? s:?   but it seems to have almost everything that I would need.

If I went for Mstation then I would have to also upgrade the Head Unit as I still have the stock Sony unit.

I spoke to my usual ICE fitters/suppliers & they could only recommend the Sony MEX-HD1 which as well as being £1250 from them (I have seen them from £899 elsewhere) seems a bit expensive considering I believe that they don't support MP3.

I also thought about Sat Nav (i.e the standard Honda CRV unit) which would fit but to be honest I don't think that I would use it!

Any ideas/advice, I think that Hard drive based is the way to go because I hate changing CD's & end up listening to the same one for Weeks.

markiii

Dension have been going for probably as long as teh mstation. Though I've never seen or heard one. It looks like it uses a 2.5" drive which while good for shock resistance does have storage limitations at teh moment.

Why would you need to upgrade the head unit though?

You can get an adapter that allows line level input into the sonys cd bus. coupled with the external remote on the mstation shoud be fine.

if it was me though Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer head unit (it doesn't need to be top end) and teh mstation with cdc adaptor would be the way I'd go. And have come to that.  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Why would you need to upgrade the head unit though?

Simply because I don't like it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  No other reason.

Thanks for the advice, I am leaning towards the Mstation, as there are a few who have it & I haven't heard any bad things apart from the power required to run it.

MRMike

I have actually seen the Dension one..it's in those 'innovative ideas' catalogues that come sanwiched between various papers..not sure if thats a good thing or not..I remember trying to find reviews on it but never got very far.

How much storage are you after? because Kenwood do a small HD that is compatible only with Kenwood HU's, but like you say If you need to change the HU could be a viable option..Would be a lot cheaper as well..

m http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/khdc710.asp m

Music Keg. £379.99 @ CEL leicester-http://www.cel-direct.com

Might be worth considering..
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

I looked at teh music keg a while ago Mike.

there are 2 version available teh one we get in teh Uk is the old one. V2 is in teh US and much better with higher capacity.

They are very expensive for what they are though that is teh best price I've yet seen. they were £800 last year.

they are made for kenwood by Phatnoise  w www.phatnoise.com w

though they are nowhere near as good as the Phatnoise original and can't handle dynamic playlists.

Thats why I prefer teh mstation as while it supports playlists you don't need them. you can just navigate by directory structure.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

The Dension is pretty much the same beast as the M-Station, and takes a standard 3.5" HDD (or certainly the one I was considering did)

One really nice thing about the Dension is the ability to redesign the screen layout on your PC, and then upload it to the unit (you can also create a power on logo too - MR2ROC branding anyone?)

The only problem with the Dension (at the time I was looking anyway) was it was nearly twice the price of the M-Station as it ships without the HDD.

SteveJ

I should also point out, I was considering the DMP3, not the all in one unit referred to above, which has far more functionality than the M-Station.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"The only problem with the Dension (at the time I was looking anyway) was it was nearly twice the price of the M-Station as it ships without the HDD.

The one on Ihavetohave.it ships with 20 gb HD for £399 (I think)

Tags: