Tyres & Handling ??

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2010, 14:06

Anonymous

Good afternoon all, i need some help please i have had my Mr2 02 plate since april this year and i have been realy happy with the it though i noticed the other day that the tyres on all 4 corners were the same size : pirelli 6000 185/55/15 and i remembered reading on this site a while back that the rears should be 205/50/15 and as i was due to go on a long journey last weekend i decided to change the rears to Toyo T1rs 205/50/15 and now the handling feels dreadful, at one point whilst on the M1 the car started to "speed wobble/snake" that's the only way i can describe it but i nearly lost control and my bum is still twiching now, this seemed to happen a couple of times and the car also seemed to pull to one side, is this beacause i am running two makes of tyre ?  or could it be the balancing ? i am realy confused and i don't want to go out a change the fronts to Toyos if i don't need to, any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  Dean

ad_car_08

I'm not 100% sure about whether your tyre size/stagger is correct, but I can tell you that running mixed tyres (e.g. Pirrelli & Toyo) is a "monumental" No No!!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

don;t mix tyres brands or models,

toyos always take 500 miles for teh release agent to wear off
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

E

Also I believe you have to increase the pressure in the T1Rs t counteract the very soft sidewalls, the good news is I think Camskill are still doing a very good deal on the fronts.

Anonymous

The pressure in the rear tyres is 31 psi is this enough ?   also is my stagger correct ?

Wabbitkilla

Your stagger is ok, I always found the Toyos much better with 36psi in the rears.
Try it and see what you think.

I can also reiterate it's very important to keep the same brand and model tyre on all four corners.
And the Toyos do take around 500miles to be at their best.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Thank you all for your advice i will order my fronts now

Anonymous

Good morning all, me again sorry to be a pain but i have just orderd my T1rs for the Fronts from Camskill at quite a good rate, though i am now reading mixed views on these tyres and i am wondering if i have made the right purchase can you please give me your views on these tyres and can someone please tell me what psi i should have in front and rears

fronts: 185/55/15
rears:  205/50/15

once again cheers for sharing your knowledge

Wabbitkilla

I suggest you have a read here;
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3313 l

They aren't the best tyres ... but they're far ahead of the worst tyres.
I always like the grip I got from them in the wet and the dry, they are a great tyre.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

carl_evs

For the price the Toyos are a very good tyre - a large proportion of the members on here use them and find them to be more than adequate. I've just had a new set on the rear and they are a bit skitty but I was expecting this for the 1st few hundred miles!!!
The sizes you have should be fine as aitianed a stagger - although a lot of members here do tend to go with wider - I am running 215/40/17's on the rear.
Pressure differences in the tyres is a bit of a can of worms on here to be honest with people tending to run on what they feel comfortable - at the moment I am running 28 front and 32 rear - however I used to run the fronts at 26 and may go back to this as I'm not sure  I'm happy at 28. I have also had the rear between 30 and 34 and change it up quite frequently trying to find what is best for me.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

skinz

Quote from: "stargazer30"Dude if you look back at my posts about 1 week after I joined here, you'll see what happened to me when I had bridgestones on the rear and a non bridgestones on the front.  And I wasn't booting it either.  Don't do it dude its not worth the risk unless you have cat like reflexes and stig driving talent (I don't)

Just had a wee flick through these, are bridgestones worth money or would I be better with the toyos all round? - dont mind spending a bit of cash now - considering the winter months are approaching. Just if bridgestones are considered to be a good enough tyre it means I could get away with just replacing the rears.

Cheers
S

Anonymous

What Bridgestones? RE050s are awesome, RE040s are gash.

skinz

Will double check these @ lunch,

Just wondering what tyre sizes should be, as I read on a site that the factory 15's have 185/55/15 front & 205/50/15 rear...  which seems strange to have the larger profile on front?

if theyre the shit bridgestones ones i dnt mind replacing them - found toyo t1r's for £205 all round incl p&p from camskill
185/55/15
205/55/15

Decided that if replacing all the the profiles should be same front and rear and keep the same stagger as factory?
Cheers
S

newboi

Quote from: "skinz"if theyre the s**t bridgestones ones i dnt mind replacing them - found toyo t1r's for £205 all round incl p&p from camskill
185/55/15
205/55/15

Decided that if replacing all the the profiles should be same front and rear and keep the same stagger as factory?
Cheers
S

Factory stagger is 185/55/15 front, 205/50/15 rear
[size=85]2000 Roadster
Amuse lightweight manifold, AEM Cold Air Induction, eBay exhaust, Tein S.Tech springs, Lenso RS5 alloys, Toyo T1Rs[/size]

skinz

Quote from: "newboi"Factory stagger is 185/55/15 front, 205/50/15 rear

Ahh right cool, well the 205/55 & 205/50 are same price so no biggy - I take it in terms of 15's then the best option is to keep the factory sizing or are there even better setups? cheers

newboi

Quote from: "skinz"Ahh right cool, well the 205/55 & 205/50 are same price so no biggy - I take it in terms of 15's then the best option is to keep the factory sizing or are there even better setups? cheers

I don't know if anybody has tried other setups with 15's, but the way I see it is that there's a reason the manufacturer sold them out of the factory with that stagger and I'd much rather trust their many hours of research.

Keep the standard stagger and you'll have no issues  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2000 Roadster
Amuse lightweight manifold, AEM Cold Air Induction, eBay exhaust, Tein S.Tech springs, Lenso RS5 alloys, Toyo T1Rs[/size]

roger

The stagger front to back is the important thing.

The profile ratio is there to give you information on the tyre depth, and if you cannot get an exact match then "playing" with the numbers gives you something close. Generally speaking if you up one, you drop the other - to a point, aiming for as close a match as possible.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

skinz

Right had a look at tyres at lunch - turns out my bridgestones are actually bfgoodrich profiler 6 - my bad lol

anyway, would ok to replace the backs with goodriches or better changing to t1r's all round? - apologies for my not so great understanding of tyres

Will just stick with the 185/55/15 front & 205/50/15 rear - considering the factory spec

Cheers
S

markiii

personally in your shoes stick with T1R all round
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

newboi

Not meaning to totally hijack the thread (it may be of interest to the OP)

What kind of pressures are people running with T1R's?
[size=85]2000 Roadster

markiii

I used to add 4 psi to stock pressures

so 30 front 36 rear and then see how they feel

frogger

Agree that for the price you're probably best off with T1R's as good all rounders.

Quote185/55/15 front & 205/50/15 rear... which seems strange to have the larger profile on front?

The profile figure is a ratio, and the aim is to maintain a very similar diameter/rolling radius front to back.
So when the back is wider, it is to be expected that the profile figure will be smaller on the back than the front, unless the rim diameters are different front to back, then the profile will be different again to compensate.

i.e. 55% of 185 = 101.75 on front and 50% of 205 = 102.5   (so less than 1mm difference in diameter, a pretty good match)

There's a load of tyre calculators available online to help you out, but on stock wheels I'd stay with stock sizes.
I also like stock pressures with T1R's, though can understand why others go higher - all down to personal preference really, have a play around (within a reasonable range), but use a digital handheld gauge, not a petrol station gauge or an analogue gauge strapped to the end of a footpump (they're crap and often miles out!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "frogger"but use a digital handheld gauge, not a petrol station gauge or an analogue gauge strapped to the end of a footpump (they're crap and often miles out!)
It doesn't matter which one you use as long as you're consistent. The free one in your local petrol station may be 2psi out, but as long as you keep using that one and make any adjustments relative to that you'll be fine.

carl_evs

I'm with Dan on that one   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I use the Esso one near where i'm living at the moment. It may well be out but it will be reading the same wrong output across all 4 corners so won't make much difference. I do have a handheld guage - it however is not anywhere near were I am living at the moment.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

creamykiwi

cheers guys, just tripped over this thread (one day i'll learn to use the search button!) and page 1 is incredibly helpful  s:) :) s:)

Tags: