Tyre Pressures?

Started by 85db, February 8, 2011, 10:32

85db

Hi all, just bought a nice mk3 a couple of weeks ago and it's very nice but i think it could handle a bit better.

Had a four wheel alignment done and have set the pressures to the recommended settings, but when i get up to about 100+ on the motorway things start to feel quite vague, any undulations or bumps round mellow turns can give a very poor steering feel.
The tyres are yokohama a043's, and they have a fair bit of life in them so it's not really an option to change them right now, I was thinking of upping the pressures on the front to 28 instead of 26, will this help do you think?

muffdan

Welcome to the club. Are the tyres equally worn across the axels and is the size staggered front to back? Where about in Oxfordshire are you?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

85db

Tyres are equally worn, the sizes are standard (185/55/15, 215/45/16)

tbh it feels safe, just not very reassuring at high speeds when you could do with a bit more feel for what is happening, i'll try some different tyres when they're done just wondering what some pressure changes might do to give a bit more feedback.

In banbury btw.

roger

Hi db. More than happy to have a meet up somewhere so we can divulge the mysteries of the Roadster to you (as I'm sure Jason is)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Unfortunately not had experience of Yokos, but certainly play around with pressures. When I had Bridgestone I actually dropped them a couple of pounds at the front. I know there are bits of the M40 that have very bad lorry grooves, and my experience with them is that the 2 is always a bit more skittish over them than our Civic.

P.S. We cannot of course endorse any speeds in excess of 70 on the motorway, that's where track and airfield days come in.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

85db

Quote from: "roger"P.S. We cannot of course endorse any speeds in excess of 70 on the motorway, that's where track and airfield days come in.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Obivously i would never exceed 70 mph on a motorway, when i mentioned 100+, i was talking about km/h.

I would never break the speed limit ever.

Tags: