Rear bin audio build...

Started by JiMR2, April 10, 2011, 19:28

JiMR2

Hey all,

Hoping to build and install something similar to this next weekend;

Images are from a site that build these custom units @ about £200 for each side, without any sub   s:o :o s:o  

Anyways, ordered some of the bits i need already for the construction of the boxes;

3 metres of acoustic carpet - ordered
Polyester wadding (Duracon) - ordered
Speaker box terminals - ordered

So now I'm at the important bit, I'm conscious that I need to get subs that are suitable for small volumed enclosures. I've been having a google n have no real idea what i'm looking at re: cu:ft and Vas.

My questions are;

Does any one know what to look for when looking at subs to make sure its suitable for small enclosures?

Is it really worth worrying about? Not looking for audio winning quality etc, just crisp clear bass, yes Nelix, to impress the girls.  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers in advance guys.

Jim
AKA Cinnamon Jim

JiMR2

Ahhh also, are power caps worth messing about with?
AKA Cinnamon Jim

loadswine

I've got just the one sub driver in my 2 Jim, its a JL Audio 200mm driver in an enclosure like the ones shown and provides as much bass as you could need without painkillers!  s;) ;) s;)
I intend taking mine out soon and going for an underdash sub instead. Got a JL Audio 165mm for that.
I have seen some sites that calculate volume for given drivers and provision , or not, for passive ports, but can't find them at the moment.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

deadmau5

Get in contact with Stargazer, he made a custom sub. It was for sale in the classifieds.

tomcoolj

Yeah, its my mr2 now. Want pictures, or dimensions?

JiMR2

Heya Tom - a pic and the name of the subwoofer would be sweet if poss pls mate.

Theres a million and one different subs/amps on th enet - other than 10" i have no other idea what im after.

Nige/Tom - your boxes ported or not ?
AKA Cinnamon Jim

loadswine

No, mine's not ported Jim. Does the job though.

AmeR

I've got the 6 inch JL sub under my dash and it's fantastic!!! Been out in it all day with the roof down and the bass is still good even at motorway speeds!!!

Anonymous

a ported box requires a bigger encloser also the jbl gto series are good for money

nathanMR2

But where are you going to put all your make up Jim?!?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JiMR2

In the frunk!!!!!!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
AKA Cinnamon Jim

tomcoolj

I've got a 8" sub in my enclosure. The original speaker given to me by stargazer blew up about two weeks ago, I've got a 'Fury' 250w off eBay at the moment, put its pretty bad, I'm currently on the look out for a 8" JL Audio one.

In relation to the original one blowing - does this mean the box needs to be ported? Thanks

PS I'll try and get you a picture tonight

Anonymous

Quote from: "tomcoolj"I've got a 8" sub in my enclosure. The original speaker given to me by stargazer blew up about two weeks ago, I've got a 'Fury' 250w off eBay at the moment, put its pretty bad, I'm currently on the look out for a 8" JL Audio one.

In relation to the original one blowing - does this mean the box needs to be ported? Thanks

ported requires less volume of air within the enclosure. if you go ported the box will need to be bigger. if the sub went it could be down to age / power put into the sub ie to much / box to small in the first place. problem with the 2 is that there isnt much space so the box is normally on the small side. my 12" which does just fit has a box that takes up most of the rear bins just to get the volume. for the 8" you dont need as much volume as a 12" has a larger displacement.

when you do get your new sub read the specifications of it and it will tell you the requirements for volume of air within the enclosure.

richard

JiMR2

All bits n bobs for the build recieved now, just got to go grab some MDF on saturday n get to it.

Side note query; can i run the Focal crossovers i have on a small 250w 2ch amp? Where to they wire in, direct the speaker wires from the crossover to the amp itself like normal????

Decided to build the boxes and let an audio shop near me worry about the type of sub/amp to get once built!  s:P :P s:P
AKA Cinnamon Jim

loadswine

Question, why 2 sub boxes? Bass is omnidirectional, so I don't see why you'd want to lose all the bin space.
I see no reason why the crossovers shouldn't be wired to the amp in the normal way. Instructions for the speakers themselves should give you a bit of direction Jim.

uktotty

+1

2 subs no better than 1

JiMR2

To be honest, 2 subs purely as i think it'd look better as opposed to sounding better.

As per bin space, never use the space as it is so wont really miss it as such. 2 boxes means if need be i "can" remove one.

Curiosity now, why do people have 2 sub setups in their cars if it doesn't sound any better? Is there a reason other than cosmetics?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
AKA Cinnamon Jim

AmeR

What about one in the middle with either speakers or space either side!? Gives you bass and space without looking lobsided!?

nathanMR2

Looks far better with 2 subs in there IMO. Will also help the weight distribution   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

One other thing to consider Jim is weight. Sub boxes can be heavy. Be sure you want all the extra kit slowing you down before you add it all. Be like adding another person in the car!
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JiMR2

Ok, taking all advice/opinions/feedback on board and decided to opt for just the 1 sub woofer/enclosure. Thank you guys for the ideas and information   s:) :) s:)  

Will now be making one for the middle area, so the sub is positioned between seats, in a small enclosure. With 2, reduced sized, rear bins available. Considered placing 6 x 9's either side of the sub but will possibly kill and cheapen the finish, IMHO.

Not sure on dimensions/subs etc yet still so very much a work in progress still. However, will still knock something up this weekend and see how it looks. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

Watch this space...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

AmeR

Remember to measure the space in there with the roof down!!!!

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "JiMR2"Ahhh also, are power caps worth messing about with?

Iv wondered about this too in the past as i have two subs, aftermarket front speakers and alot of added lights for effect on the car
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

stargazer30

Quote from: "deadmau5"Get in contact with Stargazer, he made a custom sub. It was for sale in the classifieds.

I'm here   s:D :D s:D    One sub is enough for an MR2 unless you want heavy bass with the roof down.  For the size enclosure your building a recon a 10" is pushing it.  My box was using an 8" and I just made the volume needed for the sub.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

stargazer30

Quote from: "tomcoolj"I've got a 8" sub in my enclosure. The original speaker given to me by stargazer blew up about two weeks ago, I've got a 'Fury' 250w off eBay at the moment, put its pretty bad, I'm currently on the look out for a 8" JL Audio one.

You got the cheapy sub off me right? not the JBL one?  I'd be impressed if you blew up a JBL lol
Oh porting the box makes it easier to blow up the sub.  Sealed boxes stop the sub moving so easily and produce tighter/cleaner bass.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

stargazer30

Quote from: "JiMR2"All bits n bobs for the build recieved now, just got to go grab some MDF on saturday n get to it.

Side note query; can i run the Focal crossovers i have on a small 250w 2ch amp? Where to they wire in, direct the speaker wires from the crossover to the amp itself like normal????

Decided to build the boxes and let an audio shop near me worry about the type of sub/amp to get once built!  s:P :P s:P

You can run the focals off a 2ch amp but I'd suggest you use a 4ch amp and use the same amp to drive the sub as well.  That way you can set the crossover on the amp to separate out the Sub freqs vs what the focals get.  Don't bother trying to send bass to focal's in the doors, it just won't work well in an MR2.  What I found is the focals vs the crappy tin can MR2 doors and sound deadening sounded really aweful, until I sound deadened the doors.  Once the door was sealed with flashing tape the focals sounded much more natural and it really helped cut out the ear splitting treble those aluminium tweeters can kick out.

Oh you really should build your box to suit your sub.  Subs of the same size can have different volume requirments.  A local shop will prob not check and your sub may not sound too hot if the enclosure is not matched to it.

Don't let this put you off, anything is better than the stock audio, you can't make it worse  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: