TV / DVD / radio issues

Started by Anonymous, May 23, 2011, 13:14

Anonymous

Hi,

I am trying to install a TV / DVD / Sat Nav system. unit fits in perfectly... HOWEVER... I do not know how to connect or bypass the brake so I do not have any image on the telly because it thinks i am driving.

also... the ariel is now permenatly up where as before with the standard 2 din sony the ariel was only up when the radio was in use

and finally... none of my radio stations are saved which annoys me, every time i start the car i have to re-tune because i am welcomed to the lovely sound of static

Please help, an answer to any of these issues would be very much appreciated!
Thanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "reppod"I am trying to install a TV / DVD / Sat Nav system. unit fits in perfectly... HOWEVER... I do not know how to connect or bypass the brake so I do not have any image on the telly because it thinks i am driving.

connect the cable to go to the handbrake to earth

Quote from: "reppod"also... the ariel is now permenatly up where as before with the standard 2 din sony the ariel was only up when the radio was in use

you will have to wire a switch in to the arial wire or this will stay the same

Quote from: "reppod"and finally... none of my radio stations are saved which annoys me, every time i start the car i have to re-tune because i am welcomed to the lovely sound of static

you have the batt live and ignition leads round the wrong way

hope this helps

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply...

Any chance of a idiots guide to this? As I am a pretty much a mechanical idiot

Thanks again

cclarke99

The battery lead is coloured blue/yellow and the ignition lead is grey. Although if your headunit has a security code, then you will loose this if the leads are the wrong way round. For the aerial the black wire from the existing wiring loom should go to the aerial control lead from your new radio - there are a number of other posts on this subject in the forum. To be legal I think you should wire the wire that controls the television to the handbrake, which is a black/white wite that you can find if you remove the handbrake/gearlever cover. Wire colours are for an early car, they may be different for later models, again there's some posts elsewhere.

JiMR2

Handbrake bypass you want a crimp clip thing that allows you to piggyback into an existing earth.

This wasnt what i used but will do the job. Cut the earth, crimp a male end of one bit and one the below piggyback crimps on the other and connect, making the earth whole again. Then crimp a female on the end of the handbrake cable and hook it up o the piggyback.

That will "trick" the HU into thinking that the handbrakes on all the time. Done it with mine but never actually used the function accept to test that it worked... meh.

The arial switch is easier, just ascertain which wire = aerial, blue/white if i recall, best bet is to have a mess around with a multimeter in the ISO block, then cut the wire, extend the wire and fit a switch thats accessable. My ISO with the Pioneer unit was all labelled up as to what cable did what so was real easy to work out which one did the aerial. Just poped the rocker switch into my kickpanels i made up. Again, never actually used bar to test that it works, it does and the car doesnt look like an RC no more... meh.

Probably doesn't need to be said but please don't watch TV/DVD's whilst driving...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

uktotty

Here is the wiring for the handbrake

Anonymous

Also if you your new HU does not have the facility to control the up/down functionality of the aerial you can find details on how to better use the window isolation switch here.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17670

very simple to do  s:) :) s:)

Tags: