Radio mast motor not working

Started by tracystann, July 26, 2011, 18:10

tracystann

Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted before but couldn't seem to find an exact post.  When I brought my mr2 w plate, the radio aerial was broken and I assumed it was just a broken mast.  Having brought a new mast though and followed the instructions - the motor doesn't appear to be working as even with the nut off there is no movement in the broken end of the mast.  

I thought it might be the fuse but the only fuse option I can see is radio2, cig fuse and I'm guessing this is ok as the the cigarette lighter works??

Do I need a new motor or is there anything I could check first?

Thanks
Tracy

wbarrwebster

It's usually the whip end of the mast that breaks,  with the radio on and the nut off, can you pull the mast up and out? The broken mast normally leaves a bit of the  white plastic tail inside.
Before thinking about replacing the whole thing, I would check your wiring to the aerial from the back of the HU, ideally put a live wire to what should be the live wire of the antenna to see if the motor is working, also check the earth wire.
If nothing, I suggest your aerial is gubbed!

There are several threads on fixing the aerial which can be used as a guide for replacing it....no huge issue just  a wee bit time consuming, wheel off, under plastics off.....  

Methinks the aerial is quite expensive via Mt T and only a few come on E Bay at any time. but you could hang out for one.......or better yet check out some of the guys in the FOR SALE/ or Wanted  ads on here, one of them  might have one cheap!,

B
W. B. Webster

Steve Green

Silly question.
If the antenna motor makes a noise when you turn the radio on and off, then its an antenna problem with a broken long white mylon gear, the usual problem.
If the antenna motor makes no noise, then its an electrical problem. Stage one is to check that the head unit is providing the live feed. If it is then check that feed makes it to the antenna motor.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

tracystann

It doesn't make a noise at hence, hence why I assumed it was the motor which had broken or burnt out if the aerial had got stuck and it had kept trying to put it up and down.  Will look at the electrical side of things, thanks and sorry to ask silly questions, I'm new to all the car problem fixing stuff   s:D :D s:D

Steve Green

It was my silly question, simply wanting to conform that there were no noises from the motor.
Good luck.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: