aerial crunching all of a sudden

Started by zen200, November 22, 2011, 10:15

zen200

Morning all,

Before you say (use the search) I already have and read all of them and still not really sure where to start.

Simple thing im sure.

Today, after driving to work my aerial didnt go down when I turned of the ignition and the aerial motor was crunching away. I tapped the aerial and it went down part way.

Then I turned ignition on and the aerial went up fully I think but then the crunching sound came back.

After trying different things with radio and ignition, the aerial goes up and down but always ends with the crunching sound for a few seconds afterwards.

What is it.....????

Thanks

uktotty

lubrication may help?

Wabbitkilla

It sounds like it may need a bit of a clean up and lubricating.
Inside the mast there's a nylon toothed chord (for want of a better word) which a cog in the motor housing engages with.
If the aerial is sticky it can ride over the teeth and chew up the chord, or even the cog.
You could actually dismantle it to check all the teeth are there and lube it, but if they're chewed off then best bet is for a new mast. Masts can be replaced without replacing the whole aerial motor and all.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Quote from: "uktotty"lubrication may help?

wd40 or something else?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Steve Green

In my experience of Toyotas with crunching aerials, once the noise has started, the toothed cord, as wabbitkilla describes, is on its way out.
It is possible to clean things, but you have to take it all apart. Even then you cannot be sure that you will have solved the problem. Better to do the job properly, just the once.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

zen200

Ok thanks all.

Will be taking it off this weekend and cleaning it up then I guess.

Bloudy cars... pain in the bum.

So far in last 8 months Iv had gearbox issues, lambda issues, front tyre wear issues and now this.. what next ? a new engine. And all this from a one previous owner car with FSH.

Wabbitkilla

Proof that FSH isn't a guarantee of a well cared for car  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Unfortunately cars age and bits wear out, I can feel the sane happening to my body  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

uktotty

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "uktotty"lubrication may help?

wd40 or something else?

Very good question, not WD40 as it dissapears.
I use vaseline on mine but Comma grease would also work

StuC

What would you clean the old stuff off with?
Some alcohol based liquid/spray?

uktotty

Yeah anything alcohol based, or fully extend it and wipe it with a KFC wipe  s:) :) s:)

StuC

Quote from: "uktotty"Yeah anything alcohol based, or fully extend it and wipe it with a KFC wipe  s:) :) s:)

Must... resist... temptation to go off topic with lurid comments!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: