Heater Control Bulbs

Started by andibell, December 2, 2011, 12:32

andibell

Hello oh knowledgable ones!

I noticed the other day that one & a half of my heater control dials isn't lighting up.  A quick look on here told me that it wasn't uncommon and how to get the control facia off, which I managed... so far so good.  What I can't figure out is how to remove & replace the faulty LED! There's an arrow showing which way to turn to loosen it, which I've done, but I can't get it to slide in or out of the housing.  I don't want to apply too much pressure in case I break something I can't see, and I can't figure out how to remove the whole heater control unit to get to the back.  I suspect from looking on here that involves removing the entire dash, which I'd rather not do if I can help it.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong with the removal of the LED bulb?  And if anyone happens to know the code for the replacement that would be really helpful too.  :-) :-) :-)

Thanks
Andrew
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

andibell

Figured out where I was going wrong.   s:D :D s:D  

For future reference an incase anyone's interested.  Once you have the facia off, there's a white plastic square which the LED's are mounted in, held in place by a black surround clip and 2 screw.  Remove the screws and the black plastic piece, you can then gently lever down the white plastic square, from the top and remove the LED's from behind.

I can add some photos later when I put it all back together if anyone is interested...

All I need to do now is identify the replacement part.  The LED and it's connector are all one piece.  Anyone know how to find the part number?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

lozf1

One of my bulbs has blown too... anyone know the part no.?

trevsmr2

Try,
 55910B   BULB, HEATER CONTROL
90010‑05124

lozf1

Quote from: "trevsmr2"Try,
90010‑05124

Thanks Trevor, can't seem to find anywhere online thought (in the UK anyway) take it this particular part will have to ordered through Mr T?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "lozf1"
90010‑05124

Thanks Trevor, can't seem to find anywhere online thought (in the UK anyway) take it this particular part will have to ordered through Mr T?

You can change them yourself ,think i read it on here?

lozf1

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "lozf1"
90010‑05124

You can change them yourself ,think i read it on here?

Yeah no problem with that, just need to source a new bulb!

trevsmr2

Quote from: "lozf1"Yeah no problem with that, just need to source a new bulb!

Sorry what i meant is that the bulbs come fitted to the plastic holder from Toyota, and are about £5 each ,
i did read you can remove the LED though and replace

lozf1

Is anyone in the process of breaking and can kindly provide one of these bulbs?

dj2k21

There about 80p from Toyota lol, get urself there
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Russel Nash

Got these blue LED bulbs off ebay. Had to adapt blue holder to get enough tail through. Also this type with the mushroom head are not the best as they are too wide to fit thro the PCB aperture so assembly thro the pcb was required. Worked in the end! (remember they will only work when fitted to the correct polarity.  There are ones similar on ebay with small glass lens which I have also ordered for the inst cluster. £2 for 10

carlclarke

I just replaced the bulbs for the speedometer/rev counter etc. I purchased 'T5 286' 1.2W, 12V bulbs on eBay. The old ones take a bit of force to pull them out from the plastic base, I ended up using a small piece of fine wet & dry paper to wrap around the bulb to get enough grip.

I considered using LEDs but I like to be able to dim the lights if I am doing any long night driving and I think that the dimmer will work with LEDs.

Tags: