single din conversion?

Started by Zonda_, December 15, 2011, 18:32

Zonda_

I have a cheap dvd player in  the car at the moment and its rubbish. Obviously with the digital switch over happening soon I don't want to buy a unit with am analogue radio and I've not been able to locate a double din one with digital radio. How easy is it to convert to single din and can anyone recommend a good head unit with digital radio?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Steve Green

Underneath the search button you can find loads of info if you just type in 'single din' and press the button.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tech

As far as I am aware the UK are not making DAB mainstream and maybe using a different system altogether for DAB so I think you will be fine with an analogue radio?

It shows in the lack of DAB head units on the market!

uktotty

There is no digital switchover happening soon, unless you have analogue TV in your car?

Steve Green

DAB is generally fine for a static location but it is a long way from being mobile friendly, and coverage is patchy in many counties.

There are no current plans to expand the network, I guess because Freeview Radio provides the same general services to static locations and that many local FM stations provide excellent traffic news and combined with RDS EON is really useful when driving in a strange area.

The demand for DAB is also much lower due to the portability of music on iPods and othe mp3 players.

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/futuretransmitters/
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36407 l

I wrote a condensed 'how to' after doing mine a couple of weeks ago....

Tags: