standard audio, what is it?

Started by Deadmanwalking, December 31, 2011, 22:44

Deadmanwalking

getting my mr2 in a week from now. I have no idea what the standard fit hu is.

car is registered jan 2006, does anyone have a link so I can download the hu manual please?

cheers in advance.
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

VVT-i

m http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/ ... s=16700343 m

That should pretty much cover it m8.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "VVT-i"http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/fisherprice/72777.html?idRes=16700343

That should pretty much cover it m8.

well thank god I have found a forum which is good humoured as well as being technical. thanks for making me smile.

any more suggestions? if someone can give me the make and model number then that will be appreciated. cheers

Wabbitkilla

The reason why everyone refers to it as Fisher Price is because it's a non-descript thing that no-one can identify.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

its made for toyota by matsushita
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The reason why everyone refers to it as Fisher Price is because it's a non-descript thing that no-one can identify.

that's as funny as heck, you guys are cracking me up  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  no one knows.......um........why am I getting the distinct impression that next week I will be showing my mates my new fisher price sing-a-long  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

AmeR

Remove and replace

Anonymous

Id give it a try first. A lot of money gets spent on car audio, which is a complete waste IMHO. A car isnt an ideal listening environment, and louder isnt necessarily better.

The pre facelift unit is better looking, but still unattractive compared to the latest fashion. Sounds fine to me though.

Get your precats and service sorted takes priority.

Wabbitkilla

I wasn't being funny!

It's an odd machine that has no clues of its origin anywhere upon it, believe that or not.

I replaced mine as the CD kept jumping and it was silly money to get an iPod adaptor. Probably the best improvement you can make is replacing the speakers with better units and crossovers. If you want iPod or memory stick compatability then replace the HU. Be aware though that it uses specific brackets that fit no other double din HU so you would need to get bracketry for a new one.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

markiii

you mean other than the big clue MATSUSHITA on the label at the back?

s:D :D s:D
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Doh  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Matsushita Graphics Corporation own many companies, most notably Panasonic.

stargazer30

I thought the fisher price was a micky take on the hugh baby style buttons.

Back on topic standard HU and speakers are junk, remove, replace  :-) :-) :-)
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

HodJay

It's funny how I'm getting an 06 next weekend too (if all goes well anyway!) and my biggest worry also seems to be the hu and how I'm going to get my iPod connected to the car without spending £400 lol.

Never realised no one really knows exactly what it is!
Finished hunting for my first MR2, Any advice is still MORE than welcome!! \":D\"

stargazer30

Quote from: "HodJay"It's funny how I'm getting an 06 next weekend too (if all goes well anyway!) and my biggest worry also seems to be the hu and how I'm going to get my iPod connected to the car without spending £400 lol.

Never realised no one really knows exactly what it is!

You can pick up a half decent double din HU for under £200 these days JVC do some decent ones.  Then all you need is a wiring adaptor for about £6 off ebay.  Changing the HU in an MR2 is a pretty easy task too so I wouldn't let this worry you.  It only starts to get more complicated once you start adding amps, sub and aftermarket components.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Deadmanwalking

Thanks for all the info, its greatly appreciated.  s:D :D s:D  

I would very much like to be able to get into my MR2 once I have him/her (haven't looked under the car yet  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  ) and for my iPhone to instantly connect via blue tooth or wire so that I could make and take calls and listen to music.

I am rubbish around cars and can barely inflate a tyre,  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   can someone let me know what size hu I should be buying. Better still, if someone could recommend a hu and the appropriate wiring adaptors (or list of hu's) then that would be great. I just need something that will work well, tried and tested.

Cheers

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I wasn't being funny!

It's an odd machine that has no clues of its origin anywhere upon it, believe that or not.

I replaced mine as the CD kept jumping and it was silly money to get an iPod adaptor. Probably the best improvement you can make is replacing the speakers with better units and crossovers. If you want iPod or memory stick compatability then replace the HU. Be aware though that it uses specific brackets that fit no other double din HU so you would need to get bracketry for a new one.

Sorry Nic don't like saying this but you are wrong as my double din Kenwood uses the stock brackets. Most HU'S have m4 holes on the side for fixing

Anonymous

Just an idea, dont bin your old unit. I regularly get requests for them. Only got one pre in at the moment.

Keep it for "back to stock" or pop on ebay.

HodJay

Quote from: "stargazer30"You can pick up a half decent double din HU for under £200 these days JVC do some decent ones.  Then all you need is a wiring adaptor for about £6 off ebay.  Changing the HU in an MR2 is a pretty easy task too so I wouldn't let this worry you.  It only starts to get more complicated once you start adding amps, sub and aftermarket components.

Thats good to know! Thank you  s:) :) s:)  Most of the threads about what to get and do are from 5 years ago, so as I just said on a post to NathanMR2, review reading time I guess!...unless as Deadmanwalking asked, any hints of what we should get? Guess ill start with JVC!

I think i'll plan to do this as my first Mod...then when the HU is sorted I'll think about getting a dash sub box, upgraded speakers and amp etc.

Oh and I'll definitely keep the standard HU for if I ever need to return it to stock!

Thanks again everyone  s:) :) s:)
Finished hunting for my first MR2, Any advice is still MORE than welcome!! \":D\"

stargazer30

Here you go, heres an old old thread of mine showing the double DIN I put in my first MR2;
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28259
Theres a how to guide on here somewhere but basically you need to remove the heater surround and the side pillars (which clip open first) to get the stock unit out.  Can be done in 30 mins or less if your used to it.

Heres a link to the unit I have in my current MR2
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kwxr811-double-cdmp3wma-stereo-ipod-ready-with-front-auxin-p-15817.html

Under £200 to buy new and it has USB, iphone friendly and handsfree calling all built in.  Also what I really like about this HU is the variable colour display so you can match it exactly to the MR2s dial colours so it looks more OEM.

Fatbloater

As D2S says, whack your old one on ebay, I got £60 for mine. I only paid £100 for a Clarion USB/Bluetooth stereo on there.
So for £40 diference I went from rubbish stock stereo to quality kit...alas it didn't improve my choice in music lol
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

HodJay

Thats great guys  s:D :D s:D  Thank you Stargazer for so much info! Ive read your thread and it looks good! It is a bit worrying that people still want to steal stuff out of cars  s:( :( s:(  But covering it up with some draws like I've seen on here somewhere sounds like a good idea!

That definitely does do everything I want at a really good price! Probably smarter than spending over double that just so I could have a reversing camera haha..bit pointless, but funny to show off to people  s:P :P s:P  

Quick question though, if you put a single din in...ive seen everyone have a little shelf/cubby hole thing under the single HU to put iPod or whatever in. Is that a part you have to get off eBay or something? Is it part of a Celica..or am I way off?

And if money gets tight it is very tempting to sell Fatbloater (brilliant name btw  s:P :P s:P  )

HodJay

Oh is it something like this???

m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... -9511.html m

Thanks again guys....and sorry for the take over of the Thread, sure its interesting for you too though David  s:) :) s:)

Treboeth

that thing that sits in my dash and rarely gets used  s:D :D s:D

uktotty

Quote from: "HodJay"Oh is it something like this???

m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... -9511.html m

Thanks again guys....and sorry for the take over of the Thread, sure its interesting for you too though David  s:) :) s:)

Exactly that and you need the surround tooo

HodJay

Cool! Thanks  s:) :) s:)  

I need to start making a list and add up how much money I'm going to need to do everything I want to do :/

First you have to buy the car....then insure it.....tax it....buy the petrol.....Service it.....THEN spend the same again Modding it hahaha, what have a gotten myself into!?  s:P :P s:P

Tags: