cheap OBD2 reader and flashing ABS howto fix..

Started by Mr X, January 15, 2012, 18:29

Mr X

well, I got my new toy put in (finally)

anyhoo... Just to test it out, i brought the cheapo obd2 reader off fleabay. (blue and orange one with the lights)
Torque's site says you can have problems with the build quality of these units and they are cheapo components! Kinda have to be for a little over £12!
so, you plug it in and the ABS goes bananas! After a bit of digging, I found out that the reader (maybe not others) scans all the pins looking for the ecu.
 Problem is on turning on the ignition the ABS ecu wants to talk to something and throws its toys out of the pan when it sees something it cant talk too.
I tried the flicking the ignition on and off trick others have been doing but wouldn't work for me.
so, not wanting to unplug it all the time i decided to remove the pins the OBD2 reader doesn't need.

Below image is the 2 pins that are needed to be taken out. Also a good use for the passenger window on/off switch (OMG how pointless)
 is to loop the +12 feed to the port through it. have a nice little reader on/off switch then   s:) :) s:)

remove the pins by using a little screwdriver to open the side flap then you can pull the wires out buy holding back the little plastic clips on the inside of the port connector.

put tape round the ends so they wont earth out, Job done!
This has the bonus of if you need toyota to look at your ABS at some point, you can just put the pins back in within 10 mins.

Must be a little off? I know it will never work out bhp accurately..
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

AmeR

Looks good!!

What unit is that? What's it capable of? (I'll google for that bit if you have a model name?  s:D :D s:D  )

Mr X

Thanks  s:) :) s:)
its an acer iconia a100. Took ages to find a tablet with BT,wifi,GPS and android 3.2
you need at least 2.3. If you have 2.2, market place wont be installed without hacks. It's 2.2 as that it lacks in memory/cpu spec for google to give the manufacture rights to android 2.3+
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

E

Ooo! I will be trying this next weekend, if it does work I will be able to start my car without having to do the 3 key flick trick.

dcod

Hi Mr X,

Just what I needed. However, I'd like to take the pins off my cheapo bluetooth OBD2 connector rather than modify my car. Can you tell me the pin numbers that you removed?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

roger

I got a cheapo Bluetooth/OBDII reader/transmitter off ebay a few months ago, that works perfectly Ok with Torque on my HTC straight from the box without any pin hacking.

I'll post the make (or what I can find of it) tonight should it help anybody.

<edit> This is it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Diagnostic-tool-Bluetooth-Wireless-CAR-Scanner-B15-/290431516867?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item439f1140c3
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

I get the error message too, sometimes but not all the time
ABS warning light

dcod

Quote from: "roger"I got a cheapo Bluetooth/OBDII reader/transmitter off ebay a few months ago, that works perfectly Ok with Torque on my HTC straight from the box without any pin hacking.

I'll post the make (or what I can find of it) tonight should it help anybody.

<edit> This is it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Diagnostic-tool-Bluetooth-Wireless-CAR-Scanner-B15-/290431516867?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item439f1140c3

That looks exactly like the one I have .... but mine thinks it's 'chico time' and communicates to me through my ABS light   s:( :( s:(

Just noticed that one is version 1.3, do you know your chipset version? Mine is 1.4 ... I think.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

roger

Quote from: "dcod"Just noticed that one is version 1.3, do you know your chipset version? Mine is 1.4 ... I think.

I'll check the box, but bought it from the same guy 15 months ago!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Mr X

This is the one i have, its v1.5 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220917196679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_5347wt_944
maybe the versions before 1.4 don't try to scan these pins for an ecu. From what ive read on other car sites (non mr2), the pins are normally plugged into ecu can bus for but with toyota, they used them to comm with the ABS ecu instead hence ABS wobbler.
here is a pic of the pins on the reader:

I will double check the earths but i'm sure that's correct.

dcod

Thanks, I take it that it's the ABS pins to remove.

When I have time, I'm going to put a multimeter in series to find out how much current the thing draws when the ignition is off.

Mr X

yeah, is the abs ones. might be an idea to pull the wires from the plug fist to double check. Or wait till sat so i can take the plug off mine to confirm. wouldn't want you to bust a good reader  s;) ;) s;)
also, i made a little video on youtube
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60dEhflEuuw

dcod

Quote from: "Mr X"Or wait till sat so i can take the plug off mine to confirm.

That would be kind of you, don't want to waste £12!   s:D :D s:D  

It does look cool in your vid, wish I had the money to do it.   s:( :( s:(

Mr X

haha well, the £12 would buy the fiberglass and the filler to make the pod. All you need then is leather cloth, glue and some cardboard to make a template/mold  s;) ;) s;)
not that expensive to make mate. Just the cost of what you want to put in it really. my sis just got an android tablet off ebay for 35 quid! yeah, its pants but would run torque ok!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

E

s:D :D s:D  Pulled these two wires today and no more flashing ABS light and no need to flick the key on and off three times before I can start the engine, all is well so well worth the few minutes it took to do, so thanks Mr X

Mr X

no probs mate  s:) :) s:)  glad someone else now hasn't got to have an epileptic fit with their key in their hand every time they want to start their car! lol

Tech

I've been reading a few threads including the 'getting started' guide and that says to buy one of these OBD2 readers when you are looking to buy. I have seen a few on eBay for like £20 but unsure if they are any good, they look kinda cheap but I suppose they are! What is the best one at the best price that can do the stuff I would need when looking to buy and maintenance?

Would I use it when I'm looking for a car even when no engine management light comes on?

Where is the ECU / connection in the car to plug it into??

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

Mr X

Its is true, you get what you pay for. The ebay ones like I have, the quality of the components inside are not the best. but you save a packet! There have been reports of them not working correctly and there is an "obd errors" screen in the app that tells you if it is broken. Just send it back if it's faulty!
Some codes are hidden and don't cause the light to come on so it would be a bonus. Saying that tho, if the seller does know about them, a simple battery disconnect would clear the errors and you will be none the wiser.
The plug is under the steering wheel to the right, you can't miss it  s:) :) s:)

Tech

What one do you have?

I have an iPhone so I take it I can't use the bluetooth ones as they work with Android...

On eBay:
I can see the orange and black ones for ~£17
Or a stubby black and silver one for ~£23
Quicklinks T40 yellow and black one for ~£25
Black one with a blue sticker for ~£25

etc etc..!

What ones are good?

dcod

iPhone   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Sorry but I find them the most useless restrictive POS ... anyway ...

This is the bluetooth one I bought :

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150688389743? ... 1497.l2649 m

This is the non-bluetooth I bought.

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Car-Auto ... 19cb57393f m

(The U380 will also work with your 2, the U480 also works with cars with CAN-BUS)

Both cheap. Both do the job.   s:D :D s:D

Mr X

Quote from: "Tech"What one do you have?

I have an iPhone so I take it I can't use the bluetooth ones as they work with Android...

On eBay:
I can see the orange and black ones for ~£17
Or a stubby black and silver one for ~£23
Quicklinks T40 yellow and black one for ~£25
Black one with a blue sticker for ~£25

etc etc..!

What ones are good?

mine is the orange one for £17. They should work with anything that has BT and can run apps/software. Obviously i know Torque works on android, i don't know if there is a version for iOS. The adapter itself comes with windows software xp/vista/win7 and i'm also pretty sure you can get WindowsCE software too...

jhothersall

Followed guide from Mr.X and working great im using the LapLogger app on the iphone via Wifi its not perfect, and the MPG fuclates .. which might be the software or the reader. Any other software I could use on the iphone ?? DashCMD and Reve are £30 each  ... way too much !!!
KV02 XDJ  - 2002 -  Blue - Black Leather Seats - Chrome Pack Installed - Non-working Air Con - Sony Bluetooth Stereo - Owned Since Dec 2012 http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=270

jhothersall

Just got a great bit of Software was £3.99 called Engine Link seems to do the job right and the MPG Calculator is better but my average was only 26mpg today but for 10miles + warm-up I suppose that aint that bad.
KV02 XDJ  - 2002 -  Blue - Black Leather Seats - Chrome Pack Installed - Non-working Air Con - Sony Bluetooth Stereo - Owned Since Dec 2012 http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=270

Vrooom

I got the same OBD2 reader as op.   What you mean by looping the 12v+ live?  I don't want go fiddle around under dashboard and break something!

Cant you do the same job by opening obd2 reader and remove the pins?  how did I find this out? I broke mine!  there is 4 screws under the sticker.  

I ordered new one.

Vrooom

Actually I had a look inside the obd2 blue tooth reader,   you need to remove 1 'abs' pin which is #14 in obd2 pinout in OBD2 reader by opening it up and remove the pin '#14' in connector connecting to board.  don't forgot to tape it up or cut it off.   other ABS pin #9 is not connected in this obd2 blue tooth reader.

Tags: