How to stop the beeps on a late model MR2

Started by alfajerry, January 16, 2012, 15:03

alfajerry

It seems from this thread

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15371 l

that later cars beeper may be more hidden than earlier ones.
I decided to silence mine today and on my 2006 car there is no black cylinder external to the clocks, the beeper speaker is inside the clock assembly.
It's still quite easy to get to.
My wife insisted that I didn't silence it completely so I stuck a piece of sellotape over it which made it too quiet, but putting a couple of pinholes in the sellotape has given her enough volume without it driving me mental.

Seven screws to undo here:

Takes you to here:

The speaker is the black circular item top right:

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Jerry

onion86

Thanks for the pics, there was something on spyderchat with pictures etc. but handy to have it here too. Will be following this once I stop working on the old car and have a bit of time.

Quote from: "alfajerry"It seems from this thread that later cars beeper may be more hidden than earlier ones.
From what I have seen before I think the speaker was in the place that yours is on all of the facelifts (i.e. you have to unscrew the 7 screws and take clocks apart), the stavros fella with the TF300 may have misunderstood.

Quote from: "alfajerry"My wife insisted that I didn't silence it completely do I stuck a piece of sellotape over it which made it too quiet, but putting a couple of pinholes in the sellotape has given her enough volume without it driving me mental.
How quiet is too quiet, inaudible? I was thinking of using the blu-tac but that may be similar to sellotape without pinholes, I don't want to disable it completely because after driving a 5-speed for 3.5 years I'm bound to put it in reverse at some point, especially with the short shifter it seems a lot closer to when I first drove it!

What were the noise differences in terms of a percentage of original loudness between the sellotape and sellotape + pinholes?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

alfajerry

One layer of Sellotape made it almost inaudible.
With two pinholes it's something like 30/40% of original.
As long as you use something 'reversible' you can experiment.

Anyone know if I should have a bulb in that empty holder, fourth from left in first photo?
Jerry

onion86

Quote from: "alfajerry"Anyone know if I should have a bulb in that empty holder, fourth from left in first photo?
I'd say no as there's nothing there on your dials. From an educated guess it might be for SMT shift lights, I'll see if I can find a pic.
*EDIT* found a pic (number 3): http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/bwaftersales/downloads/brief/MR2.pdf#page=9
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

alfajerry

Thanks Stu.
Jerry

rory57

Thank you for posting this Stu: no bleeps at last - bliss.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

bigwillcv36

I kind of like the beeping  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

HodJay

Ahhhhhhh I JUST wrote a thread and mentioned how desperately I want to stop all the bleeping! I just hope that one day I  dare to take it apart!
Finished hunting for my first MR2, Any advice is still MORE than welcome!! \":D\"

onion86

Did this today at last after my 1st trip out in the new car with the roof down  s:D :D s:D  I went for the sellotape and 2 pin holes. I made sure I kept some sound as I'll no doubt end up leaving the lights on otherwise!

SteveMK3

I need to do this on my car which is a 2005 model so the presumably the speaker will be inside the clocks as mentioned. I can't seem to open the images at the start of the thread so can anyone tell me how the clocks come apart please? I've had them out today and took the screws out that hold the rear plastic cover on but still couldn't see the speaker. Does the printed circuit board just pull off so you can get to the other side of it? I didn't want to force anything and risk doing any damage so I just ended up putting it all back together for now  s:( :( s:(

trevsmr2

Quote from: "SteveMK3"I need to do this on my car which is a 2005 model so the presumably the speaker will be inside the clocks as mentioned. I can't seem to open the images at the start of the thread so can anyone tell me how the clocks come apart please? I've had them out today and took the screws out that hold the rear plastic cover on but still couldn't see the speaker. Does the printed circuit board just pull off so you can get to the other side of it? I didn't want to force anything and risk doing any damage so I just ended up putting it all back together for now  s:( :( s:(
(on my 2000 model)

After removing the white cover ,the circuit board justs pulls off

(this is also how you change import dials to UK ,and keep the original mileometer readings )

SteveMK3

Thanks for that Trev that's really helpull:) I presume the speaker is the Black circle in the top left in the last picture?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "SteveMK3"I presume the speaker is the Black circle in the top left in the last picture?
as far as im aware ,yes

SteveMK3

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "SteveMK3"I presume the speaker is the Black circle in the top left in the last picture?
as far as I'm aware ,yes

Ok cheers

onion86

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
as far as I'm aware ,yes
Yes it is

SteveMK3

Thanks Stu  s:) :) s:)   I don't suppose you know if it can be removed without damaging the board do you,or can I only mask it with tape or blue tac to muffle the noise like others have done?

onion86

Well it's the same beeper for if you leave the lights on, don't have your seatbelt on, etc. so I wouldn't kill it completely, go for one of those options. If you do want to remove it completely I would assume poking it with something would do less damage than trying to remove it.

SteveMK3

You might be right there  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Pavett1990

The beeps are to tell you that your in reverse, left your lights on, left keys in ignition?
I don't understand why you'd want to stop the beeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

JudoKilli

Quote from: "Pavett1990"The beeps are to tell you that your in reverse, left your lights on, left keys in ignition?

Cos its f*cking annoying!

Pavett1990

Well it's literally 20 seconds while you get out of car? Or 20 seconds when you reverse out of space or drive? Seems a lot of work for something that's rarely used? In my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

alfajerry

It's not much work, and the car bleeps for so many things it's bloody irritating.
The reverse bleep in particular, because it is an unnecessary distraction while manoevring, and people think you're driving a lorry as it's easily audible to passers-by when the roof is down. A couple of initial bleeps to warn you would have been enough.
Jerry

SteveMK3

Quote from: "JudoKilli"
Quote from: "Pavett1990"The beeps are to tell you that your in reverse, left your lights on, left keys in ignition?

Cos its f*cking annoying!

Exactly!  s:) :) s:)

SteveMK3

Quote from: "alfajerry"It's not much work, and the car bleeps for so many things it's bloody irritating.
The reverse bleep in particular, because it is an unnecessary distraction while manoevring, and people think you're driving a lorry as it's easily audible to passers-by when the roof is down. A couple of initial bleeps to warn you would have been enough.

I totally agree Jerry,apart from being annoying it is definitely a distraction when you're reversing,one or two beeps is all that was needed....

Anonymous

You can wire in a switch, which i have done, that allows you to turn off the beeping when reversing. This still gives you the initial warning when going into reverse but allows you to cancel it whilst reversing and simply switch it back on when you go into first gear.

Tags: