How to stop the beeps on a late model MR2

Started by alfajerry, January 16, 2012, 15:03

SteveMK3

I had another go at this today,I took the binnacle apart again and got the PCB off this time. I filled the hole in the centre of the speaker with a little Black silicone and after letting it dry put it all back together. The difference is massive! It's lovely and quiet now but at the same time can still be heard,it's just a lot more subtle IMHO so I'm very happy with the results  s:D :D s:D   Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.

rudycob1

Hi. M R 2 said that he wired a switch on this. Can I have some advise as to we're and how you wired this up. Which wire?

Anonymous

Hi Rudy, i removed the coin holder, drilled through the back of it and added a switch. I found the wiring details on spyderchat iirc. Basically you take off the instrument binnacle, locate the correct wire, cut it then wire the cut ends to the switch. 10 min job, once you identify the wire.

Markb

I don't mind the reverse beeping......out of the 4 cars i have here the MR2 is the only one with the reverse in the wrong place lol.

rallycross2

for such a small car this reverse beeping is maddening!
how long does it take to do this mod ?

paulfjr

I would like to stop the beeps on reversing - but not sure if it is just me but I cannot see the photos. Does this happen to everyone?? Is there another link somewhere where the photos are? Thanks

alfajerry

Sorry about that Paul, the ones in my original post were hosted somewhere no longer active and I no longer have the car or the photos.
Jerry

trevsmr2

Quote from: "paulfjr"I would like to stop the beeps on reversing - but not sure if it is just me but I cannot see the photos. Does this happen to everyone?? Is there another link somewhere where the photos are? Thanks
Quote from: "alfajerry"Sorry about that Paul, the ones in my original post were hosted somewhere no longer active and I no longer have the car or the photos.

have  a look at my reply in the thread

Mike G

To silence the reversing beep Its a white wire you snip, about 3 in from the right on the top right multiplug of the three going into the rear of the dash if viewed from the front
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

robincm

Just put some sellotape over the sounder on my mk3, all in it took me about 20 mins including reading up on here how to do it, and cleaning the instrument panel clear plastic. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in about five. The most scary thing is that you're pulling some sensitive electrical guts out of the vehicle, and I was slightly worried about it not working when I put it all back, but it was fine.

gazza1286

robincm (and anyone considering this method)

Opening up the actual binnacle is not for the faint hearted and doesn't need to be done. There's two options which are described on this link for which the assembly isn't opened :-

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54025 l

As previously mentioned the beeper is a necessary safety feature and shouldn't be (totally) disabled. I wouldn't be happy with muffling it either.

robincm

In my case, I have just finished fitting reverse parking sensors, which also beep when reverse gear is engaged, so making the built-in "you are in reverse gear" noise quieter was necessary.

dgreaves

maybe I am missing something on this thread but is it possible to isolate the reverse beep only leaving the lights and door etc warnings intact , is there a switch on reverse gear that can be isolated ?  excuse my ignorance but I am an old person ( 72)  appreciate any advice as I also want to fit reverse sensors.

Dave Greaves

gazza1286

The thread only relates to the reverse beep. All other warning tones are unaffected.(or more precisely the alternative solution I suggested above has no effect on the other tones).
If you intend fitting reverse sensors check when they give a activation tone. On mine there is a couple of seconds delay. So you may not be able to totally rely on this if considering deactivating the stock reverse beep.

M.R.

Any downsides when completely removing beeper? Already taped beeper and it still annoys me.

ihs61

Hi
I have a 2005 car that used to bleeb, yes it is annoying but prevented me from reversing into a car at a set of lights so I put up with it
However I changed the clocks to a set from Germany as the speedo registers kilometres (I have the car in France) With these clocks I don't have the bleep anymore, is this because they might have come out of a pre-facelift car ?
If this is the case, can I fit my speaker from my original clocks ?
thanks Ian

Petrus

Quote from: ihs61 on November 24, 2019, 10:15With these clocks I don't have the bleep anymore, is this because they might have come out of a pre-facelift car ?

My continental PFL beeps...

105e

Quote from: ihs61 on November 24, 2019, 10:15Hi
I have a 2005 car that used to bleeb, yes it is annoying but prevented me from reversing into a car at a set of lights so I put up with it

Me too, Hated the bleeping at first, but did once prevent what could have been a very red face, so now i like it..

Tags: