Flip Keys!

Started by mr2andy, February 15, 2012, 21:14

redarrow

russw69 does your key still flip the same way as the original.

QuoteI ordered one of the flip keys from ebay, and knocked out the roll pin filled and drilled my old key to same shape and fit into flip case, job done!

Be nice to no what drill bit you used and size, also how you shape a key via a file what type of file.

regards redarrow.

can you type a how to cheers.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

russw69

Think drill bit was about 3mm just tried it the origanal hole to check, and used a 8mm round file with the the 2 keys clamped together in the vice. I would be willing to do this for other members by return of post if they supply the flip key and old key for there car.

Anonymous

A dremmel would probably do the job quicker than a file.

iPap

Doesn't look too tricky!

Think I'll order one, thanks!!!  s:) :) s:)
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

redarrow

russw69, i done my flip key, come out perfect today was fun.

You no the little badge on the back, did you make that or was it standard.

Regards redarrow.

ps.Your probably notice the pin that holds the key in, get lost or drilled out, i used a old brake spring and snipped to size, fitted very well.(just letting you all no)

1.I got the flip key in the post.

2.I took the flip apart ,then took the key pin out of the existing blade bracket end.

3.I pulled the blank key blade off, then i taped my own car key to the blank key.

5.Put them both in a vice taped,i snipped some metal off the top with pliers then used a file to replicate the blank shape onto my car key edge.

6.put my key in the metal bracket hole,drilled a small hole 8mm, from the blank bracket tru to my own key, then added a new pin to hold the key on the bracket.

7. added the transponder, then added the end keyring bracket, closed altogether and added the new screw to the back of the flip, then tested all perfect.

hope that helps good luck.
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Anonymous

Sounds good, Redarrow! Can we see some pics please?

Andy, thanks very much for the flips. Im going to have a go as soon as I get 5 mins!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

E

Cheers Andy, apparently mine is waiting for me when I get home, all I need now is some spare time to get it sorted.

russw69

the little badge on the back was just very quickly made at work by printing it out and laminating it!

Dyn-Evo

Looks like this is the latest "must-have" accessory on the forum...?!   s8) 8) s8)
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

redarrow

Quote from: "russw69"the little badge on the back was just very quickly made at work by printing it out and laminating it!

russw69 can you kindly get the image you used, and put it on a free image/photo website, then we can all print of the back cover Toyota sign,ready made and sized via you, so we can do the same cheers.

regards redarrow.

ps. di ck sky so sorry got no camera to post pictures, i will get one soon.

E

Sorted Mine this morning, well happy. Cheers agan Andy

[youtube:24e5zbwp]33Of2s_C3Xw[/youtube:24e5zbwp]

russw69

Quote from: "redarrow"
Quote from: "russw69"the little badge on the back was just very quickly made at work by printing it out and laminating it!

russw69 can you kindly get the image you used, and put it on a free image/photo website, then we can all print of the back cover Toyota sign,ready made and sized via you, so we can do the same cheers.

regards redarrow.

Sorry dont have the pic any more. It was just one I found on google and just experimented with the size till it fit.

Dyn-Evo

E: how come your key is vertical, whereas Russ's is horizontal......?

Are there 2 different types on Ebay, then...?   s:? :? s:?
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

E

Yes there are about 3 or 4 different ones available on E bay including this one which I got from *andy* so just different styles.

iPap

Quote from: "E"Yes there are about 3 or 4 different ones available on E bay including this one which I got from *andy* so just different styles.

Is yours the same as this?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-2-BUTT ... 649wt_1071 m
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

E

Yes thats the one.

Dyn-Evo

So..question is:

Which style requires the least fettling to implant our OEM keys into them...?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

E

I wouldnt think there would be a lot in it, the space where the blade goes when folded hadto be widened on mine where I suspect it didnt on the other one, in all from starting with the two keys to having the fully built flipkey took me around 1 hour 45 mins using a dremmel.

onion86

Here's a couple of photos of one of the 'other' styles that I used:

Cut down to size with Dremel.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

mrivett

Here mine. Took me about the same time (1hr 30ish) with my dremel. Quite easy to do and looks great  :-) :-) :-)

"I'm holding the wood with one hand, juggling a bottle of Lucozade with the other, and the Cadbury's Mini Eggs are making a bid for freedom. It's not easy being me!" - Martin Rivett

drayid

was reading this fourm about 2 weeks ago as i intended to get a mr2! Bought one on sat and when i put one of the keys in the plastic snapped   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Perfect excuse to get the flip key, ordered, arrived today and installed works like a charm. Great mod thanks!!! now on to my speakers, amp and headunit   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

dkirkwood89

Hi there, only relatively new to the forum and only seeing this now. Is the work to the actual key something I could just get done where I get my keys cut?

Sorry if that's a silly question lol
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

E

I wouldn't have thought so buddy, they are pretty much set up to do their job which takes a couple of minutes compared to this which is more by eye, wouldn't hurt to ask I suppose, and thinking about it with the amount of cars coming with flip keys now shouldnt someone be selling flipkey blanks. As a foot note mine is still going strong.

dkirkwood89

No problem. I'm in no rush to get it sorted so I'll have an ask about a few places in town and see if they could do anything
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

to666ny

I know this is an old thread E how did you widen the plastic on yours to accommodate the key blade
Thanks

Tags: