Double din unit fitting help for this weekend

Started by Curlytoppz, April 8, 2012, 09:08

Curlytoppz

Have now got the JVC unit and wondered if anyone was good at fitting these things and is going to the Peterborough meet.????

( Ian will kill me if I ask him to do any more work on my car!!)

Another member has the same unit and said it was a standard fit with no added extras apart from the wiring loom, which he advised me on and I have purchased.  I also wanted to have the ariel wired up so it only comes up when I switch the switch on but this would be a bonus... the really important thing to me would be to get the stereo installed.  

Would be really grateful and happy to pay someone or provide some beers for the weekend.  

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Yours beggingly  - Curly

Am thinking of having an aftermarket double din unit installed.  Any suggestions please?

I want it to have:

bluetooth connectivity to iphone so I can play music/switch to phone mode to make a hands free call via the iphone
Be good for security so have a removable face or some other way of hiding the screen
Blue back lighting

Anonymous

And what sort of figure of cash you looking to spend up to.

Curlytoppz

I don't want something stupidly expensive.  A few hundred really.....

Curlytoppz

Halfords have a big sale on at the minute but not sure if any of them would fit the MR2

Curlytoppz

This looks like it might fit everything I need... is the unit any good do you know... seems a bit cheap.  Would this fit easily into the '2'?

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KW-XR811-Bl ... pd_cp_ce_1 m

JiMR2

Yeah that'll fit... will have to bare in mind you may/will need the spacers for the surround on the stereo, ISO connector harness (Toyota - JVC).

Is actually a very stright forward swap over, theres a great guide in the How To section that i followed!  s:) :) s:)

Do your aerial whilst your at it to!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Curlytoppz

Jim this is me you are talking to ..... can barely change a fuse!!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I shall be paying the local audio centre to fit.  Am needing to get the ariel sorted as I had a new one and apparently the ass that fitted it cut the wires to connect it via the rear of the car rather than connecting it properly to the stereo.  I am also wanting a switch to stop the ariel activating unless I want it to.  Another huge bill coming my way   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    You guys are lucky being car minded and handy with your hands   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Am confused as the description states it is a face off model but a review on amazon says it is not.   s:? :? s:?

onion86

Quote from: "Curlytoppz"Am confused as the description states it is a face off model but a review on amazon says it is not.   s:? :? s:?
Doesn't look like it would come off to me. Usually they have a little 'eject' type button on one corner, but I'm not massively knowlegeable about double din units (like the bottom left corner of this KW-AVX640)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Curlytoppz

I was wondering what the top right hand side button is for.... will see if I can find an online manual

onion86

Quote from: "Curlytoppz"I was wondering what the top right hand side button is for.... will see if I can find an online manual
It's a 'DISP' button so it'll adjust what appears on the screen (i.e. artist name, track name, album name, etc.).

Here's a manual http://www.jvcmobile.co.uk/documents/products/KW-XR811%20EN.pdf
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Just to give you an idea but I used all my old mounting plates etc from the stock. So it became neat and tidy and looked like it was ment to be in there.

Curlytoppz

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "Curlytoppz"I was wondering what the top right hand side button is for.... will see if I can find an online manual
It's a 'DISP' button so it'll adjust what appears on the screen (i.e. artist name, track name, album name, etc.).

Here's a manual http://www.jvcmobile.co.uk/documents/products/KW-XR811%20EN.pdf

Ahhh, thanks.  After some research I can't see any evidence the front flips off so back to the drawing board. Shame as I like the look of this one.  Not giving local scroats something to wreck my roof for by leaving this on display.

Curlytoppz

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Just to give you an idea but I used all my old mounting plates etc from the stock. So it became neat and tidy and looked like it was ment to be in there.

Thanks RB

Deadmanwalking

Hi you may want to consider one of these:  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Security-Dumm ... 395wt_1270 m

NOTE: I have no idea if they are any good.
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

Anonymous

Ask les what he did as mine is the same for security. Plus if you use the old mounting plates its bolted in so its a little person to get out quickly.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JiMR2"Yeah that'll fit... will have to bare in mind you may/will need the spacers for the surround on the stereo, ISO connector harness (Toyota - JVC).

Is actually a very stright forward swap over, theres a great guide in the How To section that i followed!  s:) :) s:)

Got the spacers only for mine (already had the connector) they finish it off a treat   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Jepson246

I have just put in the same JVC HU as you have seen on amazon except it is the model down and it fitted perfectly in the original fittings of my pre-facelift mr2. All i needed was the wiringg harness. i was scared about people seeing it and ruining my roof for it but on looking through the window at it, it does look fairly understated  s:) :) s:)

also or double din HU's try DynamicSound.com they do a great range for really great prices, thats where i got mine from!

Hannah   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

AckersMR2

I think you'll need to spend £250+ and into the realms of full out touch screens to get one with a detachable faceplate. Have you thought about a Mechless head unit as it sounds like your not likely to be playing any CDs?
My only car is a Ducati 

loadswine

I have a Clarion double din unit that works really well. I am a fan of the double din units generally. They do look good.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

JiMR2

Quote from: "Les"Got the spacers only for mine (already had the connector) they finish it off a treat   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

There the ones Les!!!!!

Just reminded me I need to buy/fit the reverse cam!!!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

stargazer30

Quote from: "Curlytoppz"This looks like it might fit everything I need... is the unit any good do you know... seems a bit cheap.  Would this fit easily into the '2'?

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KW-XR811-Bl ... pd_cp_ce_1 m

I have this HU in mine, its a good fit and a nice bit of kit for the price.  The local scrotes will not bother stealing it I recon, they go for LCD screen ones not cheapys.  You can match the display colour to the MR2 OEM dials too with the variable colour.  Lastly it has a fairly clever (and advanced) graphic equaliser on it which you can use to setup your speakers just right.  Thats very handy in the MR2 as it has really crap acoustics.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Curlytoppz

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful   s:D :D s:D    Now I know what I am asking for in a months time for my Birthday   s:D :D s:D  

Have emailed these folks for a quote on coming to fit it  m http://www.wefit4u.com/ m

Curlytoppz

Quote from: "JiMR2"Yeah that'll fit... will have to bare in mind you may/will need the spacers for the surround on the stereo, ISO connector harness (Toyota - JVC).

Say I did decide to try and blow myself up... would these be the harness thingy you speak of?

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC2-1 ... _ce_text_b m

Curlytoppz

Actually, forget that.  I have just looked at the 'how to'   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Curlytoppz

Bump for update in main post

Tags: