Double din unit fitting help for this weekend

Started by Curlytoppz, April 8, 2012, 09:08

Anonymous

Hi mate,

Head units are very easy to fit.

I think the hardest part was taking the pillars off at the start. It felt like they were going to break!

I am sure there is a how to guide on here.

If you fancy a drive, then I would quite happily help/show you out and fit it for you for free.

I shall try and find a link on how to remove the unit and install a new one.

Couple of tips:

-look on youtube and google for "how to install new head unit in mr2" should produce a guide. I think there was a good one on spyderchat - you wont need to be a member to log in either.

-Keep all your screws safe!

Prepare for a long job. - I am confident with what i was doing, but a couple of things slowed me down. It took me about 4 hours to replace mine. (wont take this long the 2nd).

If you cant find any guides PM me and i will give you step by step guides of what i can remember - but seriously - the job is easily doable by urself.

Curlytoppz

I didn't realise it was such a long job... I was thinking 30 mins tops   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Thanks for the advice DJ.  Alas I am a woman who struggles to change a fuse in a plug and I feel no shame about that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Am hoping one of the gorgeous helpful wonderful people going to the Peterborough meet tomorrow will assist if I agree to be their slave for the day.  If not then it may well sit in the garage for the next year like most new parts do.  Woe is me woe is me

manchestermatt1986

i fitted a double din jvc years ago, could someone please send a link for the spacers? iv just got the original ones flapping about and double sided sticky tape to the side of the unit

thanks
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Anonymous

Quote from: "Curlytoppz"I didn't realise it was such a long job... I was thinking 30 mins tops   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Thanks for the advice DJ.  Alas I am a woman who struggles to change a fuse in a plug and I feel no shame about that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Am hoping one of the gorgeous helpful wonderful people going to the Peterborough meet tomorrow will assist if I agree to be their slave for the day.  If not then it may well sit in the garage for the next year like most new parts do.  Woe is me woe is me

Had mine in and out several times (Double din unit before any smutty comments appear   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), if there's time and tools I'll have a look for you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Curlytoppz

Thanks Les   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

On any other car - it takes me 10 mins. 2 pins to pull the head unit out, then swap them over... with the mr2 - u have to dismantle some of the centre dash.

I hope you get some help at the weekend... idea of you being someone slave will make some people   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Good luck!

Richard41

Decided my car really needs a new stereo so about to get the JVC & wiring adapter etc, were you able to get the aerial to activate only when you wanted it to?

Doesn't really matter that much, just curious.

Anonymous

rich, theres a simple solution, look up ariel mod on forums  s:) :) s:)  

if you can't find anything pm me. I've done it on my car and it works great.

Tip : I installed a new switch - i didn't use an existing one.

Richard41

Radio should be going in this eve if the other bits arrive, happy to install that but would appreciate some help - did see your post and pics and I like the idea of a switch.

Looks simple enough but not so keen on snipping wires   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  presume if i decide to sell at some point its something that can easily be reversed if you leave enough wire to play with?

once it's in and working I'll decide about the aerial and pm you, ta.

Anonymous

I wasnt keen on snipping it either, I was in the same boat as you!

What part of herts you in? as i live in befordshire - sandy, - work in harpenden come from stevenage.... so maybe i could pop in some day and help you out  s:) :) s:)  

Rich

Richard41

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Few miles from Stevenage but happy to come to you.

need to find some sort of blanking plate replacement for the coin holder to fit the switch into, would prefer not to have a hole so if i can find something suitable will probably do it, really like the idea.

Edit: got a blanking on order will let you know, which switch did you use?

Anonymous

oooh where did you get the blanking? I want one! and i bought one from maplin on way home from work one night. Ill fetch you a switch if you order me a blanking plate? :p

I got the wire and soldering iron etc

Just let me know whats best for you  s:) :) s:)  and when you would like to do it.

Richard41

From Toyota, if it's right part number is  55539-32010-C0 which seems to be from pre facelift, but from what I read they're the same size but in facelift it was changed to coin holder.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21443&p=286173 l

Picking it up sat when I go for test drive, if it fits ok will order another.

Anonymous

do you mind me asking how much the blanking plate costs? If its more than a couple of £ then dont worry...

So do you have ur MR2 yet? or you looking at buying one? I see your new to the forum

Richard41

Can't remember exactly, approx £3 + vat.

Going to try GT86, have an 03 MR2 & a Focus which is practical but too big, heavy and very boring, got a good deal on a low milage car but really don't like it, MR2 is more economical on a run   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Not really interested in buying new i plan to wait for a second hand car in a few years, popped in to have a look at the auto and they offered a test drive when the manual was available this week so seemed rude not to    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I drove the GT86 last week, its a complete dog... wasnt as fast as i was expecting. Milton Keynes have a stunning black one tho...

The car is georgeous, but as fast as an MR2.

Richard41

Does look great but decided long ago i was not having another black car, too much like hard work trying to keep it looking nice.

let me know if you a want a plate before sat, I'll grab a switch on the way home as will need to make sure it'll fit. HU arrived today but no cable or trim bits   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

ooh nasty, fitting the head unit will probably be quite a job.

If you wouldn't mind grabbing me a plate I would be grateful.

this is the switch i got, 12v! i got the round one in mind of drilling a hole in the plate

m http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-illuminated ... tch-218983 m

Richard41

Got the old unit out without too many problems so think it should be easy enough to get the new one in, wasn't as bad as i  thought.

Round unit says 20mm cut out, maybe too big? but will check against the plate, rectangle on the link looks like a better bet at 13mm wide but cutting it out could be tricky.

Can the switch be fitted without pulling it all out again?

Anonymous

getting the plastic surround to fit my head unit was a disaster!

ah ok. well if u wana grab a switch get the rectangle one and 2 drill holes could be made and then cut the rest of the plastic with a knife so the switch fits? Im sure we can sort something out.

Anonymous

but yeah, it is probable a bit too big.

Richard41

Quote from: "dj vinxy"getting the plastic surround to fit my head unit was a disaster!

Realised today it is too big and won't clip neatly over the new one like the original, until I have all the bits I haven't had a proper look at getting it back on yet but have seen images of a similar HU (JVC KW XR811) looking ok with the stock surround, there will be a small gap around the unit but shouldn't be too visible.

Will call tomorrow and ask for 2 plates.

Anonymous

ah i got a single din

Richard41

Got the all the bits this morning, trim adapters hold the stock surround in place with only a small gap top and bottom but won't be visible, looks great.

Will pm you when you I've got the plates and switch.

Edit- does the aerial still retract when you switch off the ignition if you forget to use the switch?

edit 2 - success!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

but not without a struggle, the rear part of the adapter pieces were catching so didn't go in easily, was about to dismantle it and hacksaw them off (not really needed) and it finally popped into place. really nice unit with masses of options. Photo shows how scruffy cig lighter surround looks, think the previous owner must have been blind.

Richard41

picked up bits this morning but broke one putting it in the vice to drill it out, sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

if you want to get one from Toyota they're £3.50 inc vat, part number i posted is right.

second one i did most of it with a small file which took a long time but less risk of breaking, seems quite brittle. only really got 15mm to play with to fit the switch due to the design of the back, is possible but getting a 20mm switch in would be tricky.

got this one from amazon...

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rectangular-Roc ... 409&sr=1-1 m

13mm wide and fits perfectly.

will pm you when I've got some time to wire it in.

had a blast in the GT86 first thing, nice car but a little disappointing, great gear box & steering but a bit under powered. Had a nice clear slip road getting onto on the A1 so put my foot down & although you get a nice noise it just seemed a bit sluggish & too heavy. Center console needs a bag put over it with some holes cut out   s:P :P s:P  overall just not exciting enough for me, was glad to get back in the MR2.

Tags: