Rear bumper

Started by Barney Bear, April 21, 2012, 10:53

Barney Bear

Well after a secound time at the spray shop my rear is back on the car
first time they managed to get some dirt stuck on the paint   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
well all is fine but the small ledge in the middle is a bit orange peel in its finish I really dont want to loose the car for another week as went stir crazy stuck at home
question being whats best to cut it back tried Tcut but didn't work that well looked on line but suggestions are 1600 paper and lots of different cutting compounds any suggestions from those who may of done their own paint jobs
thank you in advance
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

FGrob

I had a similar problem with the front of mine, I used 1600 grit paper loads of water and just flat it down until it looks smooth enough, best way is to let it dry between each flatting you can then tell if you have a level surface, I then used a machine with some fine cutting compound the paint shop gave me, take your time don't go mad and you should bring back the shine to a good standard with no scratches, once done I did it again with a polish to give it an extra smooth look and finish off with a good wax.

I will say I did wait 4 months before I did it as the paint is very soft, in fact 6 months later I've still not done the final polish and wax on the rest of the front bumper plus the back bumper and bonnet, I just wanted to make sure it was tough enough to take the finish I was looking for.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

G3 compound is good stuff after sanding.

Tags: