Another aerial fault question

Started by adscan, June 17, 2012, 09:02

adscan

The aerial mast on my mr2 won't go down and I am unable to push it down by hand. It won't collapse and it just jams up on itself. Should I be able to push it down by hand?
When I turn the engine off u hear the motor spinning away but nothing happens.  Is this likely to be a motor fault or the aerial mast itself?

Anonymous

You are new so before you start a load of threads that have already been asked a million times before(there is very little that hasnt been covered before) just put some key words in the search box in the top corner and see what comes up,if you don't find what you are after then start a new thread.Here's a couple of links to get you started.
 l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21983 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36869&hilit= l

adscan

I did a search but could not find a specific answer to the mast being jammed.

Anonymous

Just putting in the word aerial brings up 35 pages of results,surely you would find your answer from there?

adscan

I found lots questions about removing and replacing the standard aerial, fitting a bee sting etc etc. But That is not what I am asking.  would like to know if my problem is going to be from the mast or the motor.

Maybe someone else could offer some advice?

Anonymous

Ah so you want.....

AckersMR2

Hi adscan,

Sounds like something has broken in the motor housing of the aerial causing the jam and also become disconnected explaining the motor spinning?

I think your only option is to get in there, take it out and dissemble it to see what's going on.

See if this helps at all?

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30031
My only car is a Ducati 

adscan

Many thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Hi adscan,

Sounds like something has broken in the motor housing of the aerial causing the jam and also become disconnected explaining the motor spinning?

I think your only option is to get in there, take it out and dissemble it to see what's going on.

See if this helps at all?

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30031

If only this was in the second link I posted.....oh wait it was.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Steve Green

The aerial system is quite simple, pretty much any problem will require a new stem, a new motor or you have an electrcal problem at the radio end.
If the problem you describe is not exactly the same as someone else, maybe it's just the way you describe it.

Follow the links and ye shall find.

It's gotta come out one way or the other.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

adscan

Shoul the mast be able to go down by hand? When I push it down it just jamms. It souls like the problem is with the mast rather than the motor.

Steve Green

Only way forward is to have the whole thing out and apart.
If its the motor - replace it, if its the mast - replace it. There is no other alternative and the only way to find out is to look.

If you read and understood any or all of the posts that you have been directed to, you would would be able to work it out for yourself.

So apply the knowledge you have gained, and sort the problem.

We are at the other end of a computer screen and keyboard. Send us a pic or better still a video of the problem and it might help more. But its my guess that there are already enough pics of the antenna mechanism on the forum already and we wont see anything new..
2003 Facelift SMT

adscan

I am not asking anyone to solve the problem for me. I am simply asking this..

Should the mast go down by hand?

If you don't know the answer to this question don't reply and don't put up links to threads that don't answer this question.

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome.

SteveJ

If you had read the threads LoB had taken the time to find for you, you would understand how the mast is connected to the motor assembly and why it WON'T go down if the motor is not running and the toothed flexible shaft is not engaged with it properly  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Or maybe it's 'cause you don't have enough water in the washer bottle   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Steve Green

Quote from: "adscan"The aerial mast on my mr2 won't go down and I am unable to push it down by hand. It won't collapse and it just jams up on itself. Should I be able to push it down by hand?
When I turn the engine off u hear the motor spinning away but nothing happens.  Is this likely to be a motor fault or the aerial mast itself?

Just how much explanation do you need? These basic questions have been answered elsewhere in detail.

If you push hard enough it will go down. If you pull hard enough it will go up. Some jam up, others jam down, some even jam midway, some will move easily, some wont.
If the motor is spinning, its either a motor fault or the mast itself. -- If you have read anything, you would have learned the common answer to that.

The only way to find out for sure is to take it apart and have a look. You will have to do the same thing whether it's the motor or mast.

I have another option. Cheapest of all. Leave it alone, probably your best option as you seem to be unable to read. If you want it up, leave it alone, snap it off if you want it down. Or spend some time and money and mend it so that it goes up and down automatically.

We really dont understand your question as it is clearly not working properly and the answer is to be found on this forum.
2003 Facelift SMT

trevsmr2

Quote from: "adscan"I am not asking anyone to solve the problem for me. I am simply asking this..

If you don't know the answer to this question don't reply and don't put up links to threads that don't answer this question.

No it wont go down on its own ,if the plastic worm to the mast has broken, it wont go down because the rest of the worm is still inside
if you can hear it spinning its not the motor
the problem is either the mast has lost its tail ,or the pastic cogs inside have worn down ,so not connecting on the mast

adscan

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "adscan"I am not asking anyone to solve the problem for me. I am simply asking this..

No it wont go down on its own ,if the plastic worm to the mast has broken, it wont go down because the rest of the worm is still inside
if you can hear it spinning its not the motor
the problem is either the mast has lost its tail ,or the pastic cogs inside have worn down ,so not connecting on the mast

Thanks for your helpful advice.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

adscan

Got a replacement aerial mast fitted now. All sorted.

Steve Green

Wow, easy wasnt it!
2003 Facelift SMT

mrzwei

The 'Search Police' don't bother to read the question, but heh, you got a sensible answer in the end, glad you got it sorted.

(Oh no, what have I done   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  , feel free to delete ref).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

adscan

Quote from: "Steve Green"Wow, easy wasnt it!

yep. youtube was very helpful.

mrzwei

Quote from: "adscan"
Quote from: "Steve Green"Wow, easy wasnt it!

yep. youtube was very helpful.

How to make new users feel at home. QED
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

AmeR

Guys,
I think the point made by some of the forum members that there is plenty of info on the site particularly pertaining to broken aerials was a good one, even if it was not deemed to be put across in the best way.
On the other side, I see that the OP was wanting an answer that they may or may not have found elsewhere, but would have liked an urgent response to! Either way, it's good to see that you managed to repair / replace your aerial and I hope it adds to the enjoyment of your 2.

But... I think the "tit-for-tat" approach is a bit childish and unnecessary. Can we knock it on the head and maybe mods can lock / delete this thread as I don't see anything of significant use within it, and only expect it to get sillier.

mrzwei

I agree with that but I think that there is a more fundamental issue that underpins it and this is probablly not the best area to debate it.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Tags: