Rattle like a bag of nails - sorted

Started by Anonymous, May 30, 2004, 00:00

Anonymous

This started some weeks back with a rattle on overrun or changing gear about 2500 rpm, a buzz which was pretty distracting, and definitely not in keeping with the image for the Roadster!
I convinced myself it was something going on inside my TRD exhaust and so got hold of another exhaust ready to put on the car while I had the TRD one off, to be opened up and investigated.
Well, last week on my way home it turned into the rattle of all rattles - from way down under, like I had never heard in my life - people on foot were stopping  200 yards away to see what was coming up the street, while I slid down to get outta sight......After stopping for a while it went away but returned as soon as things warmed up.
After a good search, down at my local friendly sportscar garage, it was discovered that two small welds were broken where the lower anti-grassfire shields are tack-welded to the downpipe. Couldn't believe what a din this caused. I have heard from a friend who works for LandRover how these anti-grassfire shields are a pain in the butt and they have actually stopped fitting them now for the jap market.
Now silent. And I can show my face again!

Tags: