simers

Anyone else's dash lights look like this??? Is there something up with mine
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Wabbitkilla

You've got a bulb out there.

From a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

simers

Cheers wabbit... Easy change???

Wabbitkilla

Yeah, order a nee bulb or two.
Knock the steering wheel to its lowest position.
Grab the binacle and pull it off.
Three Phillips head screws and you can lift the instrument cluster out and unplug it.
The bulbs are in holder's you twist 90 degrees to take out.

Nowt scary, easy job.

Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

simers

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Yeah, order a nee bulb or two.
Knock the steering wheel to its lowest position.
Grab the binacle and pull it off.
Three Phillips head screws and you can lift the instrument cluster out and unplug it.
The bulbs are in holder's you twist 90 degrees to take out.

Nowt scary, easy job.

Sound for that mate

Anonymous

Just had a similar problem with my MR2 dash lights - the bulb behind the 7 and 8 on the rev counter went.  Easy enough to get to as described above, then twist the little black Toshiba branded bulb holder that lines up with the dim area of dashboard out of the back of the panel (I used a set of mini pliers to do this, as not the easiest things to get hold of).

The real challenge comes when you get the holder out - removing the tiny bulb from it a real pig - you can't grip it too hard or it breaks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

I used a drinking straw - cheapo 18p/pack ones from Tesco just the right size - pushed it gently over the end of the bulb, then gave it a pull and it popped straight out.  I then used the other end of the straw to put the new bulb back in - simples!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "mrj"I used a drinking straw - cheapo 18p/pack ones from Tesco just the right size - pushed it gently over the end of the bulb, then gave it a pull and it popped straight out.

Brilliant!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

simers

Nice one mate... Haven't had a chance to do anything with mine yet due to starting a new job...

dcod

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "mrj"I used a drinking straw - cheapo 18p/pack ones from Tesco just the right size - pushed it gently over the end of the bulb, then gave it a pull and it popped straight out.

Brilliant!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

+1

Genius.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

pill20

I gave up the other day trying to find and fit in the bulbs so I got hold of some led bulbs stripped them and soldered onto the dash took a while but it dose look way better and much more brighter then a bulb I have to say

simers

Quote from: "pill20"I gave up the other day trying to find and fit in the bulbs so I got hold of some led bulbs stripped them and soldered onto the dash took a while but it dose look way better and much more brighter then a bulb I have to say
Throw up pics mate... I've same problem with my gsr lancer now

Markb

Give the dash a good slap......it sometimes works.

StuC

Quote from: "Markb"Give the dash a good slap......it sometimes works.

If in doubt... be the Fonz!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mavrick007

Quote from: "mrj"Just had a similar problem with my MR2 dash lights - the bulb behind the 7 and 8 on the rev counter went.  Easy enough to get to as described above, then twist the little black Toshiba branded bulb holder that lines up with the dim area of dashboard out of the back of the panel (I used a set of mini pliers to do this, as not the easiest things to get hold of).

The real challenge comes when you get the holder out - removing the tiny bulb from it a real pig - you can't grip it too hard or it breaks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

I used a drinking straw - cheapo 18p/pack ones from Tesco just the right size - pushed it gently over the end of the bulb, then gave it a pull and it popped straight out.  I then used the other end of the straw to put the new bulb back in - simples!

Cheers for the straw tip as got to that bit and gave up as couldnt get the original bulbs out of the holders!! grrr

All connected back up so will buy some straws and give it a go. Do they push in and then pop out?

Looking forward to getting the LED's in

Cheers

Si

mavrick007

Eventually got the bulbs out. I found the straw trick only worked with 1 of the bulbs so I instead I wrapped a thin strip of sellotape around the buld and they pulled out fairly easily.

After replacing them I put everything back together and only 2 of the 10 now work!!

Do the LED holders have to be a certain way round as I am confused as to why 9 of the bulbs worked before I did this??

Getting pretty arsed off with this now

Jay67

yeah you need to get the anode and cathode of the led's the right way round, just pop them out, turn them around and they should work  s:) :) s:)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

mavrick007

Cheers Jason

appreciate that-will let you know how i get on  :-) :-) :-)

mavrick007

Confused.com

I have turned the LED's - some work and others dont. I have then swapped the ED's between different housings and again got random ones working and others not. I then swapped the different housings into different places on the board and got other random results. I can only put it down to a potential issue with the board.

I may just buy a replacement complete instrument set with board, dials, bulbs but not impressed!

I hope the electrics in these are better than the ones I had in my Renaultsport Clio 182!

Jay67

did you just buy push fit led's or holders and led's? I doubt you'll need a new set of dials.
Jason

mavrick007

I pushed the LED's into the original bulb holders..

Jay67

i'd try a few more led's before going down the new dials route, I had a few duff ones when I replaced mine, took a fair bit of firkling to get them working!
Jason

mavrick007

Nice one cheers - I only paid £3.99 for 10 so maybe you are right..Do you get balanced illumination or brighter in certain parts?.I would love very bright all over

Jay67

you will get brighter areas, they don't throw the light out like the standard lamps, I've found some on ebay that have 3 led's on them and they're better
Jason

mavrick007

So whats the pro's of LED's?..I gather its the longevity?..I thought it was the brightness but thinking about it I reckon its the fail factor..

Jay67

I changed mine because of the whiter light, shows the true colour of my custom dials
Jason

Tags: