Small amp that has decent sound quality

Started by Anonymous, January 27, 2013, 19:25

Anonymous

Any suggestions?

Im looking for something that will fit in the small area under the head unit - where your bin/cigarette lighter is.

I know markii was selling something recently but what was it called?

i only need it for my speakers  s:( :( s:(

Thanks in advance!

stargazer30

Most the amps that small are IC based ebay jobs and they wont sound any better than a HU amp.  How come the amp needs to go there, whats wrong with the rear bin?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Anonymous

I use the rear bins for storing my mrs stuff  s:P :P s:P  

Normally got a lot of bags in the car

StuC

Markiii's was a Blaupunkt thingy, not a current model though
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

AndyM

I need to get my head back into audio again after a few years out of the loop but when I did my SQ install in my '93 Mini Cooper in the early 2000s I used a Helix amp (see below).

They have quite a low profile and didn't get too hot. I had it mounted on the angle of my sub enclosure in the back of the Mini. I'd need to measure it up but in the MR2 I was thinking an amp could possibly go under a seat, or mounted on the angle behind the seats under the rear bins (would depend on how far back you have the seat though). In these instances I think the Helix could be a good option.

Quality wise the amp sounded excellent in my SQ install. Only problem is they are hard to come by (I imported mine direct from Germany) and from what I can see there is no longer a UK distributer so that may be even more difficult with purchasing and any support/parts/repairs.

I also think Alpine have a slimline amp if I remember correctly. Don't know if this would fit in the above places? I think the problem with installing under the HU area is that you just won't get an amp big enough to give you the power you need to get the sub going.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

AndyM

They look awesome in an install as well (I'll try and dig out one of the Mini pics when I get home).

Also as they are perspex covered they are crying out for some cold cathode illumination.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Thanks Guys,

Andy - brilliant write up, never thought of under seat amp! Cant wait to see the pics - if you can find them!

AndyM

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Andy - brilliant write up, never thought of under seat amp! Cant wait to see the pics - if you can find them!

I know I have the Mini dev pictures (lots of uncarpeted MDF and exposed wires) as I was referring back to them last week but I'm not sure if I have the final pictures which is annoying!

I just re-read your post and saw you were only going to be powering your components (oops, my bad). This amp will be a bit overkill for it (4 channel) however I think they do (or did) a 2 channel version which would be interesting to try. Not tempted with an UD sub? With a 6" sub you won't win any SPL contests but if nothing else it'll take the lower end strain off your component drivers and let them stay nice and crisp in the mid range.

stargazer30

I dont think anyone has managed an under seat amp install yet as there's pretty much no room.  Having said that that Helix amp looks really small so it might work?

* edit * something that small would go on the wall behind the passenger seat and not cause any space probs, just don't drill into that bit as the fuel tank is behind it.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AndyM

Quote from: "stargazer30"I dont think anyone has managed an under seat amp install yet as there's pretty much no room.  Having said that that Helix amp looks really small so it might work?

* edit * something that small would go on the wall behind the passenger seat and not cause any space probs, just don't drill into that bit as the fuel tank is behind it.

Fair point. I'll just caveat that I've literally only just put a deposit on my first 2 yesterday so haven't had a chance to really get in there and measure up/try any of this out. The under seat may be a bit optimistic (even though I'm a shorty and therefore have it cranked right up). My main concern is that seat cushions are pretty much perfect as amplifier insulation which could be dodgy. I'd want a inch of clearance really.

The good think on these Helix amps though is that the heatsinks are on the side and the top is perspex so doesn't get hot. One little option might be to install a couple of brushless fans to move the air a bit more under there. It'll all depend on the access/space though.

I'm looking forward to the challenge myself  s:D :D s:D

AndyM

Just to add a bit more info in case you are hunting around...

Managed to rack the old grey matter and remember it was the HXA MK2 range I used. Mine was the HXA 400 Mk2 but I'm 99% sure they did the 200 (2-channel) as well. According to the copy of the spec sheet I found here (http://forum.caraudiovideo.com/caraudiovideo/Materiel-audio/question-cablage-helix-sujet_57016_1.htm) the depth of the amp is only 3.1cm so just over an inch, pretty tight little package.

AndyM

Quote from: "AndyM"I'm 99% sure they did the 200 (2-channel) as well.

Seems I'm 99% wrong   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:( :( s:(  Just done a bit of googling around to see what was out there and I think it was a 4-channel and a 5-channel in that range.

AndyM

As promised...

markiii

Unless you have an smt there is quite a lot of space under the passenger side rear bin floor

I had a genesis profile 4 channel under there way back when
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "AndyM"
Quote from: "dj vinxy"Andy - brilliant write up, never thought of under seat amp! Cant wait to see the pics - if you can find them!

Not tempted with an UD sub? With a 6" sub you won't win any SPL contests but if nothing else it'll take the lower end strain off your component drivers and let them stay nice and crisp in the mid range.

Sure im tempted... if someone wants to fit it for me!  s:P :P s:P

Ive heard their hard to fit so it puts me off really.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Unless you have an smt there is quite a lot of space under the passenger side rear bin floor

I had a genesis profile 4 channel under there way back when

markiii  s:D :D s:D

Can you remember what amp you were selling a couple of months back?

Anonymous

Thanks for the picture andy, looks like the worlds biggest amp to me :p may be flat, but damn it's spread out!

Looking forward to seeing your build in your new 2!  congrats on a deposit

AndyM

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Sure I'm tempted... if someone wants to fit it for me!  s:P :P s:P

Ive heard their hard to fit so it puts me off really.

Just think of the bass...   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  Gotta be worth it. In all seriousness though, when I finally get mine sorted I'll try and give any advice I can (I'll be coming at it green myself though!).

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Thanks for the picture andy, looks like the worlds biggest amp to me :p may be flat, but damn it's spread out!

Looking forward to seeing your build in your new 2!  congrats on a deposit

I know it looks big but the Mini boot and the sub enclosure were pretty small, I think the amp sizes are something like 3cm x 22cm x 30cm. Definitely not the smallest footprint but I'm wonder if it's thin enough to squeeze in somewhere. Also, bear in mine these amps are competition quality which you just won't get out of a tiny alpine or something. Personal preference of course.  s:) :) s:)

I've just discovered a new challenge... crossovers... my KX3's for my old KEF KAR speakers are about 15cmx20cm and there will be one for each door! Not sure how or where I'm going to squeeze those things in!

Good luck in your amp hunt!

Anonymous

Thanks.  My best mate used to compete, had amps and sub crossovers etc the whole shebang!!! But im not that interested in itto be honest

markiii

Blaupunky PA250 from memory, but they don't make them any more
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: