Footwell sub?

Started by AndyM, January 28, 2013, 20:40

AndyM

Hi,

I was in a mates Porsche Cayman S over the weekend and we were chatting cars (he's a ex-2 owner) and we were talking about the audio in a few of the cars we've had.

It then struck me that the Bose system in his Porsche features an active subwoofer in the passenger footwell. It's sort of grafted onto the centre console side but sticks out a bit into the footwell space, but not enough to make sitting uncomfortable. Obviously is carpeted to match the floot/sides so seamlessly fit in, and the vents are sort of at the top rear to avoid dirt from shoes becoming an issue.

Kinda like this...

I wondered about the possibility of doing something similar in the 2... an enclosure that uses and space behind the centre console (and potentially upwards like the UD sub box) to create a bigger volume, but then allow a larger than 6" driver (with a mesh on) sit next to the passengers feet.

Not having my 2 yet I can't check it myself but just wondered if anyone else had tried/succeeded/failed this approach?

Cheers.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

stargazer30

Theres not that much space behind the centre console, unless you eat into the passenger footwell a fair bit.  The void space where the UD sub box goes is bigger.   I suspose you could make it work if you removed the section under the head unit and built the encloser to be part of that part of the dash.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Tags: