Front fog install - where take power?

Started by Anonymous, February 24, 2013, 08:29

Anonymous

I have an early Mk3 with no front fogs and I want to install some.  I have run the signal cable to the frunk to a new relay, but where can I take the power/load from under there.  Presumably there's a hefty cable going to the front fuse/relay box, but which one do I splice?

Any help much appreciated.  s:) :) s:)

Pavett1990

If I was you I'd try running it to a live like the ciggy lighter with a fuse in lay.. Obviously with a switch to go on and off.. But the ciggy lighter is 12v and goes on and off with ignition so if you forget to turn off it will go off anyway with key..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

nathanMR2

I'd personally run a positive feed from the battery and fuse it. That's what I did with mine anyway.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I'd personally run a positive feed from the battery and fuse it. That's what I did with mine anyway.

what route did you follow then please?

nathanMR2

Took an in line fused wire from the positive on the battery and a switched feed wire from one of the side lights in the front. The fogs then run off a separate switch in the cabin. This means they will only operate with the minimum of the side lights being on

Anonymous

cheers, but I meant physically where did you put the cable fo back to front?  s;) ;) s;)

through the main loom bung behind the battery/passenger seat, under the centre console... then how did you get through the front bulkhead?

cheers

nathanMR2

From the battery, through the bung in the firewall passenger side (you need to removed the bins and go through this way into the engine bay and pull the cable through into the bay).
Down the passenger side sill (plastic needs to be removed, it should pull off)
Through the passenger kick panel (plastic needs to be removed, it should also pull off once and small plastic nut has been removed.
Pull the carpet back on the passenger side floor and you'll see another smaller bung.
Lube up your wire and poke it through with the rest of the wires into the front.
You will need to remove the front plastics and the front bin.

Anonymous

cheers.  I have found that bung.  just need to sort out my wiring - don't want to fry the cables!

6x65watt = 390 watts.  At 12v that's about  35amp is it?  SO a 50amp wire should be ok right?

(yes 6 lamps  s;) ;) s;)   )

markiii

Three a bus bar in the front fuse box, just tap a fuse off that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: