Uprated headlight bulbs

Started by aki, April 1, 2013, 01:03

aki

Righty so - another something else done today!

i've changed all the bulbs in the headlights today - Osram nightbreaker gold dipped, ebay xenon type main and philips bluevision sidelight bulbs.

well here's a comparison:

Standard:

All changed:

I don't think the Osram nightbreakers are 90% brighter like they claim....

Anonymous

I fitted osrams too on the assumption they must be good because other people reccomend them... No actual difference to Halfords brightests ones was very dissapointed!

Barney Bear

Fitted the Osrams to my Avensis and while they are a bit clearer at night they have a very short life owned the two for years and not had to replace any bulbs due to blowing but on the third set with the Avensis in 18 months   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

aki

Agree with you there dj vinxy! I've had cars with xenon's before and.... well, it's pretty appalling :/ (might have to do the dirty deed on the headlights!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aki"Agree with you there dj vinxy! I've had cars with xenon's before and.... well, it's pretty appalling :/ (might have to do the dirty deed on the headlights!)

I just read my post again and maybe might not have written it correctly  s:P :P s:P

The osram bulbs were no better than the halfords ones...

If im honest i blame the headlight units themselves - if they had made sensible headlights they would of been much more efficient i think.

Bernie

I've just ordered main and dipped bulbs as below

m http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H1-Rin ... -pair.html m

Will let you know how they perform when fitted
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Wabbitkilla

After recent experience I'm of the opinion that it's worth replacing headlight bulbs every couple of years regardless of make and type. They are always brighter and clearer after being replaced. What I will say about the more expensive bulbs is that the pattern of light is much better than the cheaper bulbs, one ring bulb I tried was truly awful, but I was stuck after blowing a bulb and it served it's purpose ... For a while.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

nathanMR2

I think you notice it a little more when the light actual hits the dark lanes, rather than looking in the light cluster it self. I went for Phillips Xtreme Vision and they appeared better to me and more of a white light which lights the road up better
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Richard41

Definitely more noticeable using nightbreakers living in the sticks, but it's really just a very slight improvement.

mine are 5+ years old so will probably try some more soon.

Tags: