"Roadster" third brake light

Started by shnazzle, May 2, 2013, 15:54

shnazzle

I'm getting some decent feedback (not just on mr2roc) on what I did with the third brake light.

Would others be interested in this?

If so, I could have a peek at doing this for others.

Or happy to provide partial services like a stencil

Any interest?
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

Re:
Think maybe the first step is to clarify whether or not its road legal as there were some possible questions at first a think, probably not the best idea to promote making cars illegal. However does look very good  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

shnazzle

Party pooper.

This is a bit of a tricky one.

Headline: Yes, this fails MOT as it in the picture above. But, depends on leniency of tester.
But...see below...

MOT states that all present brake lights should be tested equally. Two are required (for our cars), but whether you have another 6 after that or just the one, they all need need to adhere to the same standards.
So in this case, this "mod" fails on not showing >= 50% of the brake lamp from behind.

SO... I'm playing with a design that would show at least 50%, from behind.
This would allow me to obscure the top, as this does not count for "from behind".

I think if the text is changed to a wide "MR2 Roadster", it would be 50% or more of the original area.

Conclusion: with a small redesign, it is legal and MOT-safe
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

What about screaming chickens either side of roadster aswell?

I was thinking more being pulled by the police you know how they can be.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

Quote from: "tomaky"What about screaming chickens either side of roadster aswell?

I was thinking more being pulled by the police you know how they can be.

Screaming chicks would be good too! But they're quite skinny so might not get to the 50% coverage.

If cops stop you, pop the rear and unplug. Sorted.
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Re:
Or just leave it as is no unplugging, no being pulled over etc. And the main one is there is one extra light to let the idiot behind you that is on the phone know that your actually stopping.

shnazzle

Nevermind.

Close topic
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Re:
Quote from: "shnazzle"Nevermind.

Close topic

I'm just taking the mick mate. Its good to think of new things.

XI Thomas IX

Re:
I love this! Would be awesome to have one imo!
2001 Silver MR-S TRD Wing Spoiler K & N Induction Kit Abflug Eyelids Toyo Proxes T1-Rs && Cobra Quad

Zonda_

Re:
I like the idea if the Roadster text could be larger. I think having MR2 Roadster would look cluttered.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

shnazzle

Re:
having played around in Paint.Net, I won't take much to have it take up at least 50% of the area, making it both road and MOT legal.

So just spacing out the "Roadster", adding some bars on the right/left, and making the text larger and you're good
...neutiquam erro.

Zonda_

Re:
Cool. Get making them or supplying instructions for how to do it! Numpty proof please!
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Anonymous

Re:
Is there any chance....

you can make a NORMAL middle brake light.. BUT when you press down on the brakes HARD the middle one flashes?  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Is there any chance....

you can make a NORMAL middle brake light.. BUT when you press down on the brakes HARD the middle one flashes?  s:D :D s:D

No. Buy a Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda or Seat hehehee. Granted the feature doesn't seem to e activated on my Seat....
...neutiquam erro.

nathanMR2

I'm pretty sure there are kits for this. Sure i saw something on ebay once
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Reme

Right on there  d!ck  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Treboeth

Re:
As an alternative leave your ligfhts alone and move near Les  l viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43791&p=514265#p514265 l
if you brake/or brake in the fuzz will know  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

OldMan

Re:
The 'third brake light' is a safety feature.
Why diddle with it at the expense of safety??
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

shnazzle

Quote from: "OldMan"The 'third brake light' is a safety feature.
Why diddle with it at the expense of safety??

Hence making it more visible by exposing at least 50% of the light. Which in our case makes it bigger/brighter than most third brake lights on cars.

Having driven behind my wife driving with this mod, it's still blatantly and obviously visible, and will be even more so once I make it bigger.
...neutiquam erro.

Turbotrucker

Re:
I have a 'spyder' overlay on my 3rd brake light, it's never failed an mot test, although I have had an advisory once. Think it depends on the tester.
Looks cool though:)
2005 Sable grey Red edition,2zz by Rogue,Toyota GB skirts and spats.Markiii pipe+k&n Panel, Rogue manifold, Sports Cat,TTE Exhaust, TTE style bar, S2000 Seats, Mongo's;) Red Mohair Roof, Whiteline ARB's.

Cairo

Re:

That I would like, sounds like a nice sports car mod!

As for the topic at hand, I really like the way the third brake light illuminates the air outlet behind it. Maybe I would like your mod more if a bigger part of the brake light remains.
Mr2 TTE Turbo

Jrichards20

Re:
I like that. I have a TRD spoiler which has a brake light on the spoiler. I am unsure what the laws are on having four lights!  s:) :) s:)  so the engine lid one is off at the moment, but if I could have four lights on I would deffo look to do something like that!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

3rd brake light is back to standard (except for the top) following a friendly police officer in Cramlington stopping me and telling me to get rid of it.

Following that...I saw a Fiat punto with a 3rd brake light that said "Punto" in the same fashion... Looked stock. Could be wrong
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

Re:
you always see taky focuses with a chrome bit over the centre light saying focus, them ones look truely horrific!
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Tags: