Help with Gauge install - new pics 12oct

Started by stargazer30, August 30, 2013, 13:45

mr-ed_smt

That's the one I wanted, but I'm too impatient to wait for it from Taiwan  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ! I think its the same one that this chap has used:  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39739&p=472789&hilit=gauges#p472789 l  but trimmed to fit, and blended with the dash??
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

stargazer30

Well did my first DIY oil change in years today and fitted the oil pressure and temp sensors.  

First job prepare the sensors and plate.  I used heat proof braid (off ebay) to protect the wiring in the engine bay.

Then jack up the driver side, remove the under tray off the car, and carry out the normal steps for doing an oil change.  ie drain out oil from sump and remove oil filter.  The sensor plate screws onto where the oil filter goes, then the new filter screws onto the sensor plate.

I ran the wiring along the underside of the car to the passenger side then up the engine bay and into the passenger side bin gromet.  3 Wires (next to the large red wire off my amp in the pic).  Ground (blue) and sensor (red) for the temp, and just the one wire (black) for the oil pressure sensor.

Heres the boost sensor tapped off the TTE MAP sensor and ECU, I did a few weeks back.

The 3 sensor wires run across the driver side bin and along the driver side sill to the gauges.

The sensors work well but I have one problem to solve.  I have an oil leak which looks like its comming off the oil temp sensor.  I need to get a 10mm spanner to tighten it up see if it cures it.  I have an adjustable spanner but I can't get enough torque on it without it slipping.  Can you buy any sort of heat proof thread seal for problems like this?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

mrzwei

I've used Granville 'blue' gasket sealant on a number of occasions, resistant to all fuels, withstands high temps. and suitable for metal to metal joints'

m http://www.granvilleoil.com/product_info.php?prod_id=51 m

I'm sure there are other products out there.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

stargazer30

Quote from: "mrzwei"I've used Granville 'blue' gasket sealant on a number of occasions, resistant to all fuels, withstands high temps. and suitable for metal to metal joints'

m http://www.granvilleoil.com/product_info.php?prod_id=51 m

I'm sure there are other products out there.

Do I have to slacken the sensor to use this and put it on the thread?  Its as tight as **** to the point where I rounded it off a bit.  Still weaping when the engine runs   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Or can I put it round the exposed thread at the joint and still stop it.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

mrzwei

Ideally you would have to slacken the thread, I don't think it will work as a filler on the outside.
It is designed for use during assembly really as surfaces should be dry.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

stargazer30

Quote from: "mrzwei"Ideally you would have to slacken the thread, I don't think it will work as a filler on the outside.
It is designed for use during assembly really as surfaces should be dry.

I tried it on the edge and your right its not working.  DAMN!!!!  So now I have to drain off brand new oil just to take the plate off so I can seal it.   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(

stargazer30

Been reading up and apparently you're supposed to use PTFE tape on the threads (like plumbing)  Whoops!  So things that have me worried now;

Once the plate comes off will the rubber seal still work as its been compressed once, do I need a new plate?
Should I used PTFE tape or use the gasket sealer?

mr-ed_smt

You can reuse the oil - just make sure you drain it into something clean. Shouldn't be too difficult to drain it off and refit the sensor?
Useful write-up by the way, thanks.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

stargazer30

Right, what a pita that job was.  Oil drained off, filter off, plate off and sensors out.  Cleaned it all down and used liquid gasket on the threads.  Put it all back together again, refilled it with oil and no more leak on the plate or sensors  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

So big watchout for any one doing this job, put liquid gasket on the sensor and bung threads!

stargazer30

Right its took a month to get it from overseas but the new dash pod arrived this week from eBay.  Much better looking than the UK carbon fibre ones I got first off and almost a direct fit to replace the centre lid once I dremelled off the lip around the edge.   This is still a work in progress as I need some trim to cover the front and some black foam or the like maybe at the back.

Excuse the crappy phone pics, I'll do better ones once its done properly   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

nathanMR2

Looks good mate  s:) :) s:)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Which sandwich plate did you use? I'm looking to do some thing similar

Anonymous

This might be of interest, MWR now make a pod :  m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=2362 m

loadswine

Do they only cater for the left hand drive positioning?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

I'm going to email them and ask actually

Anonymous

LHD only - sorry  s:( :( s:(

loadswine

Ah, looks like we need someone to get inventive on here, and design something similar for us.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Yes indeed. I'm toying with the idea of trying myself. I've got a spare lid and might buy a pod to try and bled it in.

Tags: