CHE rear control arms spherical joint won't fit?

Started by steve b, September 22, 2013, 16:58

steve b

Have today been fitting my new rear subframe and all new CHE arms BC cool overs etc.  all well until trying to get the CHE rear control arms on, the spherical joint is too fat for the subframe it would need to be about 1.5mm smaller diameter to fit with put fouling the subframe.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Rather irritating if I have to put the old arms back on when everything else is new.  s:-( :-( s:-(
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Wabbitkilla

Mine needed lubricating with red rubber grease and the persuading into place with a rubber mallet.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

FGrob

What coating have you put on the chassis ??
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

steve b

Only way the control arms would fit is grinding the  casing of the spherical joint, you can't get the bolt to line up by quite a margin as it hits the subframe.

To add to the annoyance the trailing arms don't fit either - with them the spherical joint metal sleeve / tube through the middle is 3mm to wide, I thought - started to try and persuade them to fit with a mallet but it was going to deform the mount in the car to much for my liking.

CHE = Crap it seems.

Will be sending some pics to Monkey Wrench to see what they have to say.

Regards new subframe, silks flexed every seem and hole after ACF50ing the inside, then a coat of hammerite.

Really annoying the cHe bits as would have had the whole job done today.  s:-( :-( s:-(
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Ikrana

Steve,

Send the parts back and have a refund, then contact Battleversion.com and buy the stuff they have,
I have all of their stuff and they have great customers service and the parts are incredible!

steve b

That's for the suggestion Ikrana.  So disappointed with the CHE stuff, I hope monkey wrench will take the two sets of arms back.  Will have lost the import duty though.

Ikrana

Quote from: "steve b"That's for the suggestion Ikrana.  So disappointed with the CHE stuff, I hope monkey wrench will take the two sets of arms back.  Will have lost the import duty though.

I have a set of Che arms that i did use before i was in contact with Battleversion, and i was not happy with the quality at all, after one season of 2 months they already was coverd with rust :/

the quality of battleverions parts are so great, I actually had a insident with one of BVs arms, one did sieze up, so i ciuld not adjust the lenght anymore, i contacted them and they did send me a new one for free the day after, great service.

hope MWR can give you a  refund of the parts.

Wabbitkilla

I have to admit that I have had Che arms fail on be because they lacked any weather protection, the pillowballs seem a bit hit and miss with quality.
Then I thought the new design would be better because it has those rubber protectors, but if they just don't fit when what's the point?

I adjust mine to required length and then leave them alone for years, and I have actually threadlocked mine and told anyone who touches the geometry not to adjust from there. The main benefit i get from them is the pillowball mounts.

Looking at battleversion.com i think I'll be getting any replacements from there in future.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Sonner34

You can claim all import duty tax back, see government website if unsure!
2004 Silver MR2, For Sale, low mileage and pretty standard

Ikrana

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Looking at battleversion.com i think I'll be getting any replacements from there in future.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

trevsmr2

Just curious ,but what sub-frame have you had done and fitted ? was it a replacement ,or the original

steve b

I bought a new subframe from CTP, so Toyota original equipment.  Original had rusted through in two places.

trevsmr2

Reason i asked is the subframes differed between early and late cars ,just wondered if you had bought the wrong one ,but if its new should be ok

I dont know what the differences were, but thought that might be the reason

Wabbitkilla

The differences between pfl and fl frames has nothing to do with the positioning or size of the mounting points of the suspension arms. This just sounds like the new version Che arms aren't fit for purpose.

carlclarke

If this is the same set that I bought from topspeed on the internet (Toyota MR2 MRS Spyder 00-05 Adjustable Rear Suspension Arms / Track Toe Trailing) in orange, Matt fitted to my PFL last year. I don't think he experienced any big problems with them. Maybe get in touch with Matt?

Tags: