Facelift spot / fog lights on pre facelift MR2 guide

Started by Andys-N20, October 19, 2013, 16:53

Andys-N20

Did a little google'ing and I cannot find much info on how to wire up the fog's onto a pre-facelift MR2.
Luckily I have access to a facelift spec car that I can dissect and probe with a multimeter. I sketched a theoretical circuit diagram which I replicated on computer.

I then rigged up a fully working circuit using this diagram, and facelift parts. I used an indicator to represent the fog's.
The switch has two bulbs. One that lights up when the lights are put on to help you find the switch in the dark. The other to warn you that the fog's are on.

The circuit works perfect, it only needs to be replicated neatly with the addition of a fuse. No idea where to get the permanent 12V from or 12V when lights are on. I will add the relay to the fuse box under the front bumper (where it is on facelift cars) so I might be able to find some suitable elec-trickery in there.
I can update this later when I get around to modding my car.
This was relatively easy and hopefully useful to others... Next onto getting a fully functional facelift headlight circuit.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

cabbydave

The 3 wires on the other side I worked out to be switched earth and the red and green wire went live when lights were turned on or fog turned on respectfully you can still get the relay to be powered up by a earth though

Andys-N20

Quote from: "cabbydave"The 3 wires on the other side I worked out to be switched earth and the red and green wire went live when lights were turned on or fog turned on respectfully you can still get the relay to be powered up by a earth though

I 'buzzed' out the switch and I found that two of the negative wires were connected to the red wire (only when the switch is pressed so ye, switched earth) and the third (middle of the three negatives) connected to the green wire via the bulb and this does not change state no matter if the switch is on/off.
I just double checked with the facelift car (still intact loom) and my rig and the green wire is live when the lights are turned on. The red wire is live when the fog's are turned on.
There are no negatives at the relay. Only the wires connected in my diagram so the way I see it the green wire puts power onto the relay's coil and illuminates the switch's proximity when the car's lights are put on. However the coil cannot energise as it has no connection to negative until the fog switch is made. When the switch is turned on it uses the red wire to connect the coil to negative via the 'fog's are on' bulb.
Just to put my crazy theory to the test I removed the bulb that warns the driver that the fog's are on and switched it on. And hey, the fog's don't work anymore.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Tags: