Budget Install Options

Started by 2003bluecat, November 15, 2013, 15:10

2003bluecat

Hi all

Currently have a standard double din HU and standard speakers. I think around 90% of music I listen to in my car is on my phone so at the moment I run an aux lead to an FM transmitter which the HU is tuned into. As you can imagine, this is not a set up which produces good sound quality.

Now, I want to try and improve this but, as usual, for a little expense as possible. I know I'm not going to get the best sound in the world on a tight budget, but I'm sure I can make a big improvement to the current set up.

The plan I have currently is to get a new HU with an aux port. This will improve the sound quality as it will no longer be over a poor FM connection. The next step I thought would be to sort out the doors with some of the tape people have recommended from local diy shops. The final thing (probably   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) will be some upgraded component speakers.

Basically I want to know what would YOU spend your money on first. My budget at the minute is around £100, but I can always do one thing at a time as and when the money allows. Do I spend all the budget on a HU or spread it out over a cheaper HU and budget speakers?

Any advice is welcomed.

Many thanks

Karl

P.S I've been looking at the Vibe Slick 6 speakers for £55 and a cheap £50 Sony HU. Would these be okay to improve the current setup?

nathanMR2

Do you have an iphone?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

2003bluecat

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Do you have an iphone?

No Nathan

Got a windows phone currently, although I tend to change quite often. Why do you ask?

nathanMR2

I purchased a Kenwood KDC-BT92SD stereo which plays CD's, radio, MP3's from an SD card, iphone 4/5 can be plugged straight in which was around £150.

It also has a parrot system built in so your phone can link straight up to it.

With an iphone you can control the phone from the stereo.

I had an older higher priced Sony unit prior to this which was top of the range at the time however the sound quaility from the current £150 unit i have massively exceeds it.

The head unit is a good starting point but everything works hand in hand. I poor stereo will give poor results through good speakers. Just as a decent stereo will give poor results through poor speakers. For £150 i really cant complain at the Kenwood. It has a lot of features so if your budget can stretch to this much i would recommend it

2003bluecat

Thanks Nathan.

That sounds good, but I don't think it's going to be worth the money for my needs. Whilst nice features to have the bluetooth, ipod/iphone control and even sd slot aren't features I'll use most of the time. Although I must admit it's a very nice looking HU.

I take your point about having one poor component will bring down the overall quality. It might be better for me to spend a bit more over a longer period of time to get a half decent set up. Or I might just get a cheap set up now then if I feel the need to spend more later I can. I know that might be false economy but having just rebuilt the engine money is tight   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm undecided. I just know the current set up is awful and it's starting to annoy me!

nathanMR2

I cant be dealing with CD's any more, especially in the car so it pretty much covered most things for me. Personally i dont consider its a bad price to pay given how good it sounded in comparison to the £350+ one i had before.

First thing first get a half decent head unit and work around that.

2003bluecat

I can't remember the last time I used a CD in my car. It's all streaming on my phone lately.

I know you're right really, budget is budget for a reason so if I'm going to do it I may as well do it properly.

If I can sell my TTE bar the budget might increase a fair bit. Don't suppose you need one Nathan?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

nathanMR2

You're so local its a shame i dont. Ive not really been overly fussed about them for some reason.

Ill probably be in Kinver some time soon as my sister lives there so if you would like a listen of mine your more than welcome

2003bluecat

I'm not that fussed about them either, I'm sure someone will take it off me eventually.

That would be really good, thanks for the offer. Although I can see this getting more and more expensive! Wouldn't mind taking a look at your lights too as they look very nice.

Let me know when you're about and I can come meet you.

nathanMR2

Yes your welcome. Ill might pop down Sunday but ill let you know

Anonymous

I got the alpine job that in halfrauds for £160 in the van and the Bluetooth sound works very well with my windows phone.

2003bluecat

That's good to know. The more I think about it the more I would like bluetooth, could be a useful feature, and also it seems most the mid range head units come with bluetooth now anyway.

Flipside

What standard head unit do you, is it the sony one?

If so it has an aux in but you need a converter, they are about 35 quid!
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

2003bluecat

No it's the fisher price one! Hopefully I can sell it once I've got a new HU and put that money towards speakers.

Flipside

That's a Shame, you might be able to sell it which will help
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

2003bluecat

Thanks for all the advice, as much as I would've loved the Kenwood one Nathan has it was just too far out of budget right now. However it did make me realise I wanted bluetooth, something I hadn't considered getting before. It shows it's worth discussing these things.

I've gone for an Alpine single din (CDE-173BT) so once I've fitted that hopefully I can sell the factory stereo and upgrade the speakers.

Anyone got any idea what the fl fisher price unit and sat nav box is worth? Can't seem to find the sat nav thing on ebay, is there a product number?

Pavett1990

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165655 m

Cheap as chips £49.. With AUX and USB plus it looks good.. Plenty of choice on halfords website
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

2003bluecat

Thanks but I've already bought a head unit as mentioned in my last post.

Pavett1990

Oops my bad good choice with alpine tho

2003bluecat

I hope so, I've had Alpine before and always thought they make quality head units, even the bottom end of their range.

Pavett1990

Yeah.. Iv had a few but I'm hooked on Sony xplod at the moment great sound and works perfectly with my iPad

James and his MR2

Anyone else wondering about doing this the most cost effective way may be interested in these. Wont be great sound but better than a FM convertor. I had one before buying my single din head unit

m http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-au ... 24201907:s m

You can get much cheaper ones as well £3-5

trickyD

TL/DR.
But, I bought an Alpine Head Unit (72bt) just before Xmas which I feel is bargain of the decade!
It's £75 online or from Halfords if you order online (pick up in store).

It doesn't have CD but who uses those? It plays from aux-in, USB stick or most importantly via Bluetooth!
It works so well from any Bluetooth music enabled phone. The display shows track listing, you can skip tracks direct from the unit and it even shows your phones state of charge!
Sound quality is fantastic, and being an Alpine everything works brilliantly and ergonomics are first rate.

I love it, it even does a good job with the crappy cardboard factory speakers, though £35 on some "edge" components would finish it off a treat.
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

2003bluecat

Mine is the CDE-173bt which is probably identical to yours but with a cd player (which I haven't used yet!). I got it for around £70 2nd hand though, but it really is brilliant, the improvement on the original even with standard speakers is huge.
I'm going to sound deaden the doors then think about speakers. MOT, tax and insurance time in February though so might have to wait until summer!!

trickyD

Yes I looked at that one as well, something like £150 new?
The sound will be awesome

I'm going to do the same with the doors and speakers. I have some old MTX comps to go in but if I didn't, I'd probably go down the well trodden Edge route
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: