LED Fade

Started by 2 of the left, December 12, 2013, 21:42

2 of the left

Recently I've noticed that my trip meter isn't as pronounced as it used to be and I have to really look at the display to get the correct read out - ( Now, before I get the usual - " Should have gone to Specsavers!!) - Is there any way of changing / replacing this LED or is it a full unit replacement?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

OldMan

Quote from: "2 of the left"Is there any way of changing / replacing this LED or is it a full unit replacement?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Uhhh...
I think the odometer is an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) rather than an LED (Light Emitting Diode).
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

dcod

Quote from: "OldMan"
Quote from: "2 of the left"Is there any way of changing / replacing this LED or is it a full unit replacement?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Uhhh...
I think the odometer is an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) rather than an LED (Light Emitting Diode).

... which is lit with an LED?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Joesson

I suggest that the question concerns the perceived reduction of intensity of the illumination source. Irrespective of the type of luminaire can the illumination level be increased by substitution of this single item?

Sorry, I can't answer the question.

carlclarke

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "OldMan"
Uhhh...

... which is lit with an LED?

It is quite possible that it is backlit by a LED - don't really want to take one apart to find out though. If it is a LED then most likely not 'user serviceable'. It might be worth trying to take out the nearest back light bulb when it is dark and see it the display becomes even more dim because Toyota may have just gone for back lighting using light channelled through the clear plastic from the regular back light bulbs in a similar way to the instrument needles.

SteveJ

It's lit by the same bulbs as the rest of the cluster. Definitely no LED involved - got my spare one apart in front of me right now.

Anonymous

You have turned your dimmer switch up to full?

2 of the left

Quote from: "Les"You have turned your dimmer switch up to full?
Of course I have -  but the LCD read out is not so pronounced as it used to be!!   s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Of course I have -  but the LCD read out is not so pronounced as it used to be!!   s:? :? s:?
Do you mean the numbers are lacking contrast (as in they are see-through)? Most likely the bias voltage generator on the board has given up the ghost rather than a fault with the LCD module itself. New instrument cluster time I'm afraid unless you can find a local electronics shop to look at it for you (and I don't mean Maplin!)

carlclarke

What does it look like in daylight? If there is clear contrast in daylight then it could just be that either the nearest back light bulb has become dim or that the clear plastic that channels the light to the odometer needs a careful wipe. I hope it doesn't require a new cluster but SteveJ could be right if you are not getting good digit contrast in daylight.

2 of the left

Quote from: "carlclarke"What does it look like in daylight? If there is clear contrast in daylight then it could just be that either the nearest back light bulb has become dim or that the clear plastic that channels the light to the odometer needs a careful wipe. I hope it doesn't require a new cluster but SteveJ could be right if you are not getting good digit contrast in daylight.
I have decided to live with it - It definitely is the LCD readout that is beginning to fade but I guess it'll have enough life left for a while (fingers crossed!!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MR TWO

Dimmer switch?  Wow my car is packed with things I never knew I had.  Where is it please?
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

cabbydave

What year is your car and how many miles has it done as I've got a couple of speedos spare

2 of the left

Quote from: "MR TWO"

Dimmer switch?  Wow my car is packed with things I never knew I had.  Where is it please?
Right hand side cluster in dash - A knurled vertical wheel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: