Pics of your double din stereos pls

Started by Suzz381, March 31, 2014, 10:01

nadeemxb

Cheers for the tip!  Wish I'd checked that out before fitting mine!

Jay67

I'm all for the easy option  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

StuC

Quote from: "Jay67"I'm all easy  s;) ;) s;)

Fixed that for you fella.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Jiff Lemon

Quote from: "ayresyboy"Jiff, that is uber cool. You get it from a Yaris?

Yup, came from a Yaris, but had to get a GPS cable from the states as the seller forgot to include. Looking at adding an ipod/aux input to it soon, but the USB is good enough for now!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jay67"
Quote from: "nadeemxb"If you do go ahead I'd recommend fitting a microswitch to allow video playback at any time. Look on eBay - they're called "handbrake bypass switches". I actually found it easier to fit than connecting to the actual handbrake which in honesty I wasn't sure on how to do.

all you have to do is connect the handbrake cable to ground, no need for a switch
Fitted a rocker switch in the coin holder on mine,  easier to click the switch than turn the u it off should any legal eyes be watching    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Suzz381

Quote from: "nadeemxb"Don't want to complicate the decision but I've had an AppRadio in my car for a year now and it has its pros and cons. When it works its great. When it doesn't its very annoying. Sometimes have to reconnect several times. It pops a safety warning up that has to be dismissed every time you turn it on and most of the apps are very buggy. Find myself regularly reaching for the phone to accept some sort of on screen prompt to launch an app. There's no setting to make the phone trust the AppRadio and always launch without approval on the handset. Not Pioneer's fault - bloody Apple! If you do go ahead I'd recommend fitting a microswitch to allow video playback at any time. Look on eBay - they're called "handbrake bypass switches". I actually found it easier to fit than connecting to the actual handbrake which in honesty I wasn't sure on how to do. Oh and be careful on the excess costs of getting the cabling if your phone is an iPhone with the lightning port.

Anyway, here's a pic of mine fitted:

It looks great but appreciate your honest opinion. Certainly a consideration as constant pop ups on the phone will be irritating, especially after spending so much money. Did u fit it yourself? What parts did u find u needed for this particular model?
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

carlclarke

Quote from: "Suzz381"
Quote from: "nadeemxb"Don't want to complicate the decision but I've had an AppRadio in my car for a year now and it has its pros and cons. When it works its great. When it doesn't its very annoying. Sometimes have to reconnect several times. It pops a safety warning up that has to be dismissed every time you turn it on and most of the apps are very buggy. Find myself regularly reaching for the phone to accept some sort of on screen prompt to launch an app. There's no setting to make the phone trust the AppRadio and always launch without approval on the handset. Not Pioneer's fault - bloody Apple! If you do go ahead I'd recommend fitting a microswitch to allow video playback at any time. Look on eBay - they're called "handbrake bypass switches". I actually found it easier to fit than connecting to the actual handbrake which in honesty I wasn't sure on how to do. Oh and be careful on the excess costs of getting the cabling if your phone is an iPhone with the lightning port.

Anyway, here's a pic of mine fitted:

It looks great but appreciate your honest opinion. Certainly a consideration as constant pop ups on the phone will be irritating, especially after spending so much money. Did u fit it yourself? What parts did u find u needed for this particular model?

The safety warning only needs to be clicked once per start up and the AppRadio app again only needs one click per start up. It is annoying but not so bad. My OEM satnav in my main car needs one click per start up too so maybe we should blame the blame and liability culture rather that Apple.

Once running it is pretty good, the Pioneer touch screen is not as responsive as the iPhone but being able to run apps such as Dash Command, Pioneer's Navigate Drive and the now quite good EC Touch on the head unit screen is nice. The whole experience feels a bit poor compared to the native iPhone UI but there is no other real alternative at the moment. Mine is a 2 year old AVH 4600BT which is a pretty good stand alone head unit so the iPhone features add to the existing functions. It would be nice if Pioneer could make it seamless like the new Apple CarPlay but until then it is a good enough 'second best' for me.

nadeemxb

True about the once per start up but when you've just stopped for 2mins to fill up the car or (and I've never done this in my life   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) stalled the car, having to click it again seems badly done. Also one or two of the apps do/did in fact require further input on the phone - Waze (excellent nav app) being one of them until just a few releases ago. Maybe app devs have sorted this all now. Its definitely not "constant popups" so don't worry about that. Truth be told, I rarely enter AppMode now. Not because I don't like it but because on a typical journey the built in iPod and radio are all I use - and they look great.

Don't get me wrong based on my earlier post. I love my AppRadio but I just find a few of the minor issues slightly spoil what could be an excellent system. They've nailed the Bluetooth Phone, I've had zero problems with it. The mic supplied is excellent and call quality is great. The iPod (don't need to launch AppMode for this) works well and the radio, although without DAB, is great. Equaliser settings are all there and customisable enough for me. I agree with Carl that it's the best solution out there at present.

I bought only:
the AppRadio 2 itself
A plastic adaptor set (that's the two spacers you can see either side of the unit to fill the gap left from the wider Toyota unit)
ISO wiring harness
and the mentioned handbrake switch which we now know isn't needed   s:x :x s:x

You might find some black elec tape useful to tidy up the cabling afterwards. Failing that a few people on here have made some carpeted panels to install in the footwell to hide the cable clutter behind the head unit. Worth checking out.

I haven't bought or installed a reverse camera.

I fitted the unit myself - there was a very useful general guide on here. I'd suggest dropping or removing the ashtray during install - seen a few cars with scratches on top of theirs from swapping the head unit. Also I left the breaker in the USB cable somewhere handy so that the phone section of the cable could be swapped with a USB stick to install firmware updates easily. Only had to do that once though!

Got £80 for my immaculate original unit on ebay which helped offset the cost - not sure what the current going rate is. Think I did better than most.

Suzz381

Hey, thanks for your comprehensive review, really helps and i'm going to go ahead after payday next month! SOLD  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Suzz381

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-AVH-X26 ... B00G5AI6DW m

Found this one which I am going to order, anyone know if it will fit before I buy??
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Jay67

it'll fit but if you want to connect an iphone and use all the features you'll need another lead, if you've an android phone you won't be able to use any of the apps, have a look here   m http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/landing/produ ... ility.html m
Jason

Suzz381

Quote from: "Jay67"it'll fit but if you want to connect an iphone and use all the features you'll need another lead, if you've an android phone you won't be able to use any of the apps, have a look here   m http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/landing/produ ... ility.html m

Thanks for your reply. Yes Would be for an iphone connection. What wld i need as well as iphone lead? Fascia etc?

Thanks

Suz
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Jay67

Quote from: "Suzz381"
Quote from: "Jay67"it'll fit but if you want to connect an iphone and use all the features you'll need another lead, if you've an android phone you won't be able to use any of the apps, have a look here   m http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/landing/produ ... ility.html m

Thanks for your reply. Yes Would be for an iphone connection. What wld i need as well as iphone lead? Fascia etc?

Thanks

Suz
this kit should cover it   m http://tinyurl.com/nedg49d m
Jason

Suzz381

Ah brilliant, i'll order that kit straight away in that case. Could I be cheeky and ask if u could link which IOS cable i'd also need please? It's an iphone 4
I'll order the head unit, above fascia kit and IOS cable tonight and Stu has kindly offered to fit it. Can't wait and thanks loads for the advice/help.
Will post a pic once installed  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Jay67

this one should allow you to use app radio and all ipod functions  m http://tinyurl.com/phcszwo m   s:) :) s:)
Jason

Suzz381

Quote from: "Jay67"this one should allow you to use app radio and all ipod functions  m http://tinyurl.com/phcszwo m   s:) :) s:)

You are good like! Are you going to ding day?? If so there will be a drink on me waiting for u   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Jay67

don't think I can get there this year, working that weekend and can't get out of it....yet  s:( :( s:(
Jason

StuC

Quote from: "Jay67"don't think I can get there this year, working that weekend and can't get out of it....yet  s:( :( s:(

Is the wrong answer!!  s:-( :-( s:-(
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Suzz381

Oh no! We may have to swing by and kidnap u along with MR2 for the day, surely work couldn't complain if it was out of your control?!!
Stu, yes defo the wrong answer!
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Suzz381

Well, that's it ordered.
Bought the pioneer avh-x2600bt from amazon and bought the fascia kit and iphone cable as linked by jay

Can't wait,!
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

connorap

Quote from: "Markb"

Sony WX GT90 BT.......nothing too fancy but a really good quality unit....bluetooth music streaming+ calls (comes with mic for calls)......usb....remote....changeable colour display.....was half price in Halfords @£129,think its up a tenner since i bought it in January.....fitted myself in the dark ,first time with an MR2  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  took around an hour,could easily do one now in half the time.

Im looking at buying one for mine, did it just fit straight in or did it need any adaptors?

Markb

Quote from: "connorap"
Quote from: "Markb"

Sony WX GT90 BT.......nothing too fancy but a really good quality unit....bluetooth music streaming+ calls (comes with mic for calls)......usb....remote....changeable colour display.....was half price in Halfords @£129,think its up a tenner since i bought it in January.....fitted myself in the dark ,first time with an MR2  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  took around an hour,could easily do one now in half the time.

I'm looking at buying one for mine, did it just fit straight in or did it need any adaptors?

You will need the adaptor wiring lead for a facelift car,not sure if needed for a pre facelift as it has a Sony unit as standard?......depending on whether your car is facelift or or not you will need the side fillers as in my pic for use with the facelift surround......pre facelift,your original surround should be fine,no need for the fillers.

You also need the brackets from your old unit.

Fin

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, just a quick question for Jay:
How/where did you do your dials? I love that look!!
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Jay67

Quote from: "Fin"I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, just a quick question for Jay:
How/where did you do your dials? I love that look!!
got them from here   m http://bit.ly/1in7I1t m    s:) :) s:)
Jason

Suzz381

Finally got the stereo installed, a mate at work was very kind and did it last wk. Very pleased with it so far. Easy to use and looks very neat
Only thing is that I think I prob need to buy some sort of adapter for aerial to pick up DAB signal?

2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Tags: