Anyone got a dash cam/rear view mirror cam fitted?

Started by Suzz381, May 12, 2014, 22:15

Suzz381

I'm a bit of a gadget nerd and fancy buying a dash cam to protect against accident claims etc.
Been looking at rear view mirrors which double up as a cam.
Just wondering if anyone has fitted one to an MR2/what the quality is like?
The mirrors I've looked at on amazon etc are 30cms long which I think wld be way to long for mr2 and prob stop the sun visors being lowered.
Plus I'll be able to film the approach to ding day   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

StuC

The question if ask you here Suzz is...
How much do you actually use your sunvisors? They are pretty small and most find that they are never in the right place. Besides that's what sunglasses are for.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
ROC even have some blanking plugs for those that elect to remove the sunvisors.

How do the mirror cams you have found so far attach to the car?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Suzz381

Aye fair point stu! Good excuse to buy some new shades  s;-) ;-) s;-)
The one I'm looking at has clips which clip over the current mirror in car. Therefore even I cold install it!
However, I think it'll look far too big for the cabin but can't seem to find a good quality cam for a reasonable price that is also smaller

Looking at ones similar to this:

m http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/abeo- ... hdvr-180c/ m
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

StuC

I like how you have instant playback on a small screen within the mirror. It's like driving the car in a video game, but with real world consequences!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I am sure there are small discreet cameras up to the job. Much like the cyclists and bikers wear.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

loadswine

The best camera that I have seen for the money and image quality is the Mobius camera, costs about £60 basic and proper HD 1080p. Compact, the size of a matchbox. i have one installed in my car and it works well. ( okay, that's not a Roadster, but its small enough to fit easily.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Suzz381

Ha Stu, like a real life grand theft auto without the hi jacks!
Loadswine that cam looks tiny! Going to do some further research into it but certainly looks a contender. Thanks for the reply  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

tricky1138

Quote from: "loadswine"The best camera that I have seen for the money and image quality is the Mobius camera, costs about £60 basic and proper HD 1080p. Compact, the size of a matchbox. i have one installed in my car and it works well. ( okay, that's not a Roadster, but its small enough to fit easily.

Liking the look of that one too. Nice and discreet.

I'm after something similar but was wanting a dual camera setup. Anyone have any recommendations for that?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

shnazzle

I've just ordered an eBay special  s:) :) s:)  see how it goes
...neutiquam erro.

loadswine

Just one quick pic of my cam. Its mounted under the housing of a bank of sensors for auto wipers, lights, lane assist and stuff.

P5104194 by loadswine, on Flickr

Suzz381

Very neat, does it have to be hard wired or can it run off a battery? Also is it easy to transfer footage onto computer?
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Suzz381

Quote from: "shnazzle"I've just ordered an eBay special  s:) :) s:)  see how it goes
Let us know how u get on  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

loadswine

It can be hard wired if you want, but mine runs from a usb/charging socket hub that I popped in last week. It will run on the battery for a couple of hours I think. It uses a micro Sd card, so file transfer is dead easy.
My bits came from a site joovuu.com. They have all sorts of bits for this, including wider angle lens version. Youtube has some good reviews of the cam. Techmoan is pretty reliable for a reviewer, should be easy enough to search on there.

Anonymous

I use mine in the car and my truck, not too intrusive and good quality playback, I can't recomend it though as they changed suppliers and although the cameras look the same they are absolute rubbish   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Not in the way..........

[youtube:3bmuaia5]grgS-BHVGxg[/youtube:3bmuaia5]

Suzz381

Quote from: "loadswine"It can be hard wired if you want, but mine runs from a usb/charging socket hub that I popped in last week. It will run on the battery for a couple of hours I think. It uses a micro Sd card, so file transfer is dead easy.
My bits came from a site joovuu.com. They have all sorts of bits for this, including wider angle lens version. Youtube has some good reviews of the cam. Techmoan is pretty reliable for a reviewer, should be easy enough to search on there.

Perfect, this is certainly shaping up as the number one contender at present.
Good quality vid les
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

loadswine

Cool, I'll see if I can pop up a short clip from it tomorrow, if it helps.

Suzz381

Quote from: "loadswine"Cool, I'll see if I can pop up a short clip from it tomorrow, if it helps.

Yes pls   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

loadswine

[youtube:3olqb1by]a2yS44z3EY8[/youtube:3olqb1by]

Just a little clip at only 720p, but you should get the idea. Also still trying to beat the reflection from the top of the dash.

Wabbitkilla

Lovely quality Nigel
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AndyM

Looks good Nige. Almost tempted myself  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Suzz381

great quality!
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Suzz381

Just ordered this little number from fleabay

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261460004892 m

Only £23 so not a lot lost if no good. Will post here once it arrives and I have it installed
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Ripley

We got one of these from Amazon last week. Great picture quality and easy to use. My question is, has anyone hard wired one of these cams (or anything for that matter) to the interior light? It seems the easiest place to take power from.

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I ... UTF8&psc=1 m

loadswine

Mine is semi hard wired to an ignition live in my car. When I turn the ignition on, it starts recording and turns off when I turn the engine off. I have the Mobius running to a little USB hub, that I wired in. It has worked really well over the last few days of my Euro trip down to the Dordogne region of France. Captured some super footage so far.  s:) :) s:)

Ripley

Quote from: "loadswine"Mine is semi hard wired to an ignition live in my car. When I turn the ignition on, it starts recording and turns off when I turn the engine off. I have the Mobius running to a little USB hub, that I wired in. It has worked really well over the last few days of my Euro trip down to the Dordogne region of France. Captured some super footage so far.  s:) :) s:)

Sounds like a good solution. Where did you wire it too?
One option would be to conceal the wires along the windscreen and down the pillars. I don't want to take the pillar trim off as I believe it's a bummer to put back. Any info much appreciated, thanks

Suzz381

Ok, mixed feelings re the cam I bought.
Footage is good. However, as I initially feared I think it's too big for the cabin. It also shakes about loads - so much I took it off.
It's a good concept but needs to be refined so that it replaces your rear view mirror and isn't just a clip on.
Will bring it to ding day on sat and show u  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Tags: