New Hood fitted !!!

Started by ducatiross, June 22, 2014, 23:42

ducatiross

After waiting what seemed like ages for our booked appointment to come around, me, the mrs, and my '2 (Pearl)  took a trip to Jack Smith's in Swansea on Saturday to give her a new soft top (Pearl, not the Mrs.)

This is what the old one was like - in quite a bad way.

When we arrived, Raymond, who owns Jack Smith's, got to work, cutting out the rear window, and dismantling all the rear plastics :-

Within 20 minutes, there was just a pile of plastics on the ground :-

At this point, Mrs. DucatiRoss and I went for a walk along Swansea's lovely beach front and then took lunch in a nice Italian restaurant, enjoying the gorgeous, baking sunshine.

About 4 hours later, we returned to find Pearl had been transformed !

To say I was delighted is a total understatement - I was thrilled to bits with the fantastic job Raymond had done, making the hood from scratch and doing all the fitting, for only £300 all in !

If you are thinking about getting a new hood, don't think twice, book in with Ray. He'll do a totally brilliant job and is a lovely, really funny bloke too.

I'm made up ! Hope you guys like it too.

Only trouble is, it make the seats look really bad, so I just suppose I'll have to get them recovered now too !

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

StuC

That looks great.  :-) :-) :-)

Just checking... Is it a replacement vinyl roof?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Treboeth

Very nice  s:D :D s:D  
As for the seats I think you know who will do those for you too.

ducatiross

Quote from: "StuC"That looks great.  :-) :-) :-)

Just checking... Is it a replacement vinyl roof?

Roof is red mohair fabric, I think Raymond uses fabric from BAS hoods. Lovely quality.

ducatiross

Quote from: "Treboeth"Very nice  s:D :D s:D  
As for the seats I think you know who will do those for you too.

You are not wrong !!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just saving up now ! But colour and fabric options are causing some difficulty. Red leather with black fabric inserts ?? What do people think ?

StuC

Red leather bolsters and black alcantara centres. That's the way forward.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

mr mr2

That looks fantastic
Excelsior

Two's Company

Nice work. What are you going to put on it to keep it protected and clean?

Theburns1

It's amazing how it's mad the car look 10 times newer! Red hood on the silver looks awesome too

cptspaulding

Looks great. I'm now very jealous.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Anonymous

Wow what a difference. Perfect for the car. Congrats, looks brilliant (an great value)

ducatiross

Quote from: "StuC"Red leather bolsters and black alcantara centres. That's the way forward.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

That's what I was thinking StuC, but the upholstery man said "alcantara is rubbish and I won't work with it"! Back to the drawing board then ...

Thanks so much for all your positive comments. I too can't believe how it makes it look a different car altogether !

moorx

That looks beautiful   s:D :D s:D  

Can I ask why not just plain red leather seats?

tomaky

More reassurance that the blue hood Ray is fitting on july 29th will be a cracking deal!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

ducatiross

Quote from: "moorx"That looks beautiful   s:D :D s:D  

Can I ask why not just plain red leather seats?

Thanks moorx !

I was thinking about :-
- full leather getting too hot when car left parked with hood down
- leather also being a bit slippery when driving 'enthusiastically'
- contrasting colours may add a little extra something

But open to suggestions !

tomaky

I find my celica leather seats hold me very very well even when driving very enthuisastically  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tomaky

guessing the fit is good? did he give any advisories of use?
ive got 305 miles to travel to get mine done hope its a good day as i might get a tan out of it hehe
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

ducatiross

Quote from: "tomaky"More reassurance that the blue hood Ray is fitting on july 29th will be a cracking deal!

It certainly will - he was finishing off a Honda S2000 with a blue hood when I arrived and it looked lovely !
It'll be worth every one of those 305 miles, tomaky !

Mind you, he doesn't rate MR2 hood mechanisms ! Doesn't like how they operate and finds them quite tricky to make and fit a hood on.

How different are celica seats to MR2 ones ? Do they fit in MR2's ?   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

The fit is really good - very tight at the moment and much harder to get the catches done up. Just needs a little stretching !

Be careful on the tanning front - I only spent a couple of hours walking along the Swansea beach wall and got third degree burns, so pack your sun-tan cream !

tomaky

oooh  s:) :) s:)  total milage going to be 610 :O long long day!

Aii think he said to me he cant understand why they made it so it nips the shoulder causing a tear. They certainly do, with some medling  s:) :) s:)  somewhere in my project thread (in my signature) theres a picture of them. Basically what you have to do is fit your mr2 seat rails to the celica seat, not too hard of a job. im lucky that my celica seats came with a set of mr2 rails for me to fit.

Sounds good  s:) :) s:)  

you can adjust the clatches a touch to make them initially easyer to reach the clasp.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

StuC

Quote from: "ducatiross"the upholstery man said "alcantara is rubbish and I won't work with it"!

I couldn't disagree more. I had a car with half leatehr half alcantara and those seats were awesome. Good level of grip, looks great. Having an alcantara centre also means you dont burn/freeze your ass (depending on season).
Also... Toyota thought it was so rubbish that the TF300's have half and half

Perhaps he has had bad experiences working with it. Doesn't mean it is rubbish.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "ducatiross"

Never thought that a red hood would look as good on a silver as it does on the Sable Red Edition (my favourite combination) - But that has changed my mind - And for only £300 - Very tempted to trek to Swansea now!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

tomaky

quoted me 280 so all in with petrol im looking 380-400 depending on my right foot hehe
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

ayresyboy

Fantastic value! I paid 400 second hand just for the hood material. Then I fit it myself. So definitely a great buy there. Well done.
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

tomaky

just had idea as it seems hoods are becomnig more common to replace prob going to start a thread hoods the lot, as i know people have gone for different companies, for differerent prices and in different colours.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Richard41

Looks great, think mine will be making a trip to Swansea next year.

is in reasonable condition but having spent a lot of time cleaning & treating the hood with all sorts of products nothing ever makes it look good for more than a week or so, and never folds down properly due to tears where the ears strap should be.

Tags: