The Mohair roof thread

Started by Mike G, December 7, 2014, 19:59

jvanzyl

Ah phew thanks for that!

Mike - One day I'll get the old leather retrim package  s;-) ;-) s;-)

paulj

Don't worry about the window. He was telling me that when he gets a duff one he scraps it and orders one from Dick Sloan. As long as he is one window ahead of his orders all is well.

Be prepared for the first operation in the job though - removal of your old window with a Stanley knife.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Topdownman

When I took my car in he said straightaway "your heater doesnt work does it", I said no, I thought you put them into the new one but he said no, they make up the roof before you get there. He said he wouldnt be able to reuse my window. I asked him if he wanted anything because of this and he said no, he would offer it to an mx5 owner to replace the plastic ones they normally have.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Other Stu

Yup, he said the same thing to me. Thing is, it still doesn't work.
But I can't really complain, because it never worked in the first place! I've checked the fuse and the cable. Next up, loom..... (doesn't work with the hard top either). Light comes on the button....
No Longer Here

Topdownman

Have you tested the element for cuts in it? I wonder if you could make up a battery/bulb tester circuit and hold a wire to each end of the strips to test for breaks?

Thats why mine was no good as the element had been worn through.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Other Stu

I've tested the elements and they're perfect. But the Swansea supplied one is absolutely A1 condition. Honestly, it could have been new!
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

Quick question folks - is it worth buying a FL frame to take down to Jack's instead of him using my PFL one? I can get the frame for £40... I've no issues with my current frame, but I've never tried a FL one so I've no idea what the difference is...

Tewje

I've just called Jack R.Smith. My roof is in terrible condition and as I'm in Poland and live here I asked about buying just a roof and fitting it by myself (or by local company).
Have you done sth like this? Was it easy?
Jack said that I could have problems with that and he recommended me to buy an easier fit roof from All hoods in Essex ( m http://allhoodsltd.com/product/toyota-m ... od-window/ m ). Do you know anything about them? Could you compare Jacks vs All hood quality?

DrWatson

Booked into Jack Smith last monday and I'm looking forward to the 5am leave tomorrow, thanks to posters in this tread who have shown the good quality hoods that Mr Smith  makes.

The Other Stu

Good time of year to have it done. In the next few weeks, lead time will turn into 3 months or more If last year was anything to go by.
No Longer Here

DrWatson

Well, here it is, another J.Smith special. I'm really pleased with it   s:) :) s:)  

Certainly beats the hole some cretin cut in the soft top   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

[attachment=0:z7u9i9g5] ia0 WhatsApp Image 2017-02-17 at 3.38.23 PM.jpeg ia0 [/attachment:z7u9i9g5]

Dr32

Another J.R Smith, Swansea job!

So a couple of things - His name is Raymond, Jack died 10 years ago but he's had to keep the name because that's what people always search for! His Facebook says permanently closed but he's very much still in business!

The address is 158 St Helen's Avenue - So this is a residential address so you'll need to follow the ally behind these row of houses and there will be a row of garages and you'll rock up to his garage with J.r Smith motor trimmers above the door.

He's a true professional and only charges £300 which is a steal for the quality & craftsmanship, he does any colour you ask for and the fabric (mohair) is quality, you will not be disappointed. Just look at the quality he produced on my soft top - before Red, after black. I need to trim some excess off & it could do with a clean. I travelled 150 miles to get this done which is still massively cheaper than having it done anywhere else and getting ripped off for it.

This is his number: 01792 461022 (he's a bit of a talker - but all round nice guy, don't start talking politics with him when you get there otherwise you'll never be able to leave)

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

darrenjuggins

Hi.

His name is actually Raymond not Roland, possibly his accent got you.

Kindest Regards
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Treboeth

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hi.

His name is actually Raymond not Roland, possibly his accent got you.

Kindest Regards
Darren
He has no accent [emoji12]
It's all you foreigners coming down here taking our Welsh bargains that have the accents [emoji13]

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Dr32

Ah yeah I meant Raymond - Roland must have just came out as I was typing   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  fixed for clarity

TomoMr2

Booked mine in for Tuesday 14th March this afternoon!

Dr32

Ah cool - be sure to upload before/after pics

jvanzyl

Quick question guys... how many days before you can close the roof "easily"? I.e without some serious effort?

The Other Stu

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Quick question guys... how many days before you can close the roof "easily"? I.e without some serious effort?
Straight away?

Genuinely, I had mine down on the way home (as Raymond said that shouldn't be a problem). Yes, it was a bit stiff the first couple of times.
I find it a struggle sometimes to get it down though, but I've got the knack. Push it halfway down, then forward, then it normally goes back.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

Quote from: "The Other Stu"
Quote from: "jvanzyl"Quick question guys... how many days before you can close the roof "easily"? I.e without some serious effort?
Straight away?

Genuinely, I had mine down on the way home (as Raymond said that shouldn't be a problem). Yes, it was a bit stiff the first couple of times.
I find it a struggle sometimes to get it down though, but I've got the knack. Push it halfway down, then forward, then it normally goes back.

Well I can get it down OK.. it's just to put the hood back up is "tight"... as in trying to stretch a cover over a drum!

Oh and I have to sit each seat to get enough leverage to pull it forward!

Topdownman

If you watch Raymond do it, he uses both hands on one side at a time to clip it on so its possible to put it down straightaway if you are prepared for a bit of effort!

I think I left mine up for a week but I think he said to leave it for a few days.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Yeah the guys does have a knack! But it's quite clear that I can't say to my wife "sure put the roof down" knowing that there is no way she is going to be able to put it back up when she needs to park!

So it sounds like the answer is at least a week for the fabric to stretch sufficiently to mean it's not a serious effort to put up?

Topdownman

I guess that after a week its going to settle/stretch as much as it is going to. If its still very stiff she may need to get training with some weights...
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

TomoMr2

All done - seems to be a slight stain in the middle of the roof - probably Raymond's lunch - nothing that can not be sorted,

Looks alot better!

Fitted yesterday - not tried pulling it back yet!

keeper2611

Looks really tidy, I must get mine booked in!
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

Tags: