Short Shifter ????

Started by Peter Wright, October 4, 2004, 09:01

Peter Wright

Anybody got one of these ??
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW m
Any thoughts, problems etc

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

spit

Hi Pete.

These are on Ebay every week. I was bidding a few times but they went upwards of £28.50 (not worth it IMHO).

I finally bought one last week for £14.99 from "2fast2cool2" on EBay. He also has these from time to time - exactly the same product but fewer bidders cos his picture is usually a bit naff!

Anyhoo, It arrived Wednesday and I fitted the thing last Thursday. Fitting takes about an hour. There are a few niggles to overcome, but nothing major. If you PM me I can talk you through.

The result is a very tight, close shift. However, because the new shifter is straight, the "H" is offset to the top-left hand side of the boot. I do like it, though.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

MRMike

I have that exact one, and I paid £28.50 for it so I must have just beaten you spit!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   And IMO it's worth every penny of that.  It really is exactly the same linkage as the B&M, the only thing you have to miss out on compared to that set is, there is no replacement knob, and there are no spare parts.  Ie there is no push nut, and there are no spare linkage cups. I would buy a spare push nut before you start, just in case.  m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... t=push+nut m  

You have to removed the cups from your old linkage to use on this one, which is a little fiddly, but no problem really.

And don't be put off how it feels initially, I hated mine at first, but absolutely love it now, just need some bushings for the back to make it perfect.

Again if you need any help give me a shout, there is a great tutorial on spydermagazine.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

spit

You're probably right Mike - in comparison with B&M or TRD it is a bargain. I'm obviously just very tight (in the fiscal sense!!).

Good advice about getting a new push-nut. I managed to get mine off in one piece and re-seat it tightly, but its a hit-and-miss affair.

Just out of interest, has anyone used this on a 6-speed box?

MRMike

Yes mine is on a six speed box.  Works fine, unlike the TRD one which Hanslow tried. My only very slight gripe with it is, its harder to engage first when entering a tight, fast corner.  But no dout some end bushings will help.
Spit are you interested in some gearbox end shift bushings?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

spit

Worth a punt Mike - I'm 5-speed but even so, still a bit notchy engaging first. I wasn't aware that play at the gearbox end could be tightened up - I just put it down to the natural slack that you tend to get in cable-run shifters.

BTW, I don't think I've ever engaged into first on a fast corner - too scared of seeing the gearbox come flying Alien-style out of the back!

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"engage first when entering a fast corner.

NUTTER!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Bongo

Quote from: "MRMike"Spit are you interested in some gearbox end shift bushings?

I'd like some as well to go along with my TRD shifter  s:) :) s:)

Jap GT300

Solid Brass Bushings:

m http://www.speed-source.net/ m

BTW. I have an MR2 TRD 5 speed in my celica 6 speed box.  It all works fine apart from a slightly forceful 1st gear as well.

From what I have found out Celica and MR2 cages from both 5 & 6 speed are identical.  (not including revision changes)

spit

Useful link JapGT thanks (and soz to Pete for drifting slightly off the original topic, but the consensus seems to be "get a short shifter"!).

Any moonlighting MR2ROC machinists out there? I'm sure these bushes could be knocked out on a lathe with a length of brass rod. If we get a bit of interest, it might be worth setting up a group buy.

MRMike

Seeing as they're are a few people interested in the bushings i'll do a GB in a week or so.  I'll see what sort of a discount we can get.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

spit

cheers matey!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Hi
Any news on a group buy? Has anyone fitted new bushes yet?

Dom

Tem

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"Has anyone fitted new bushes yet?

I wonder if you mean the short shifter bushings or the cable bushings. I've had the shifter bushings for two years and the cable bushing for a year now. I'm sure many others have them as well, why did you ask?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

Dom-Greg: Heard nothing from MrMike about his plans for a GB. I'd forgotten all about it, but don't expect we'd get much discount on an item that is $26 shipped!

Tem: The thread drifted into talk about the bushes that tighten up play at the gearbox linkage end (à la "cable bushing kit" seen on  w www.speed-source.net w ). Is this what you added a year ago? Do you think its a worthwhile addition to the short shifter & cage bushings mod?

MRMike

Sorry guys my plans for a GB went out the window when i bought the 350.  I didn't have a reply from speedsource though...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "spit"Tem: The thread drifted into talk about the bushes that tighten up play at the gearbox linkage end (à la "cable bushing kit" seen on  w www.speed-source.net w ). Is this what you added a year ago? Do you think its a worthwhile addition to the short shifter & cage bushings mod?

Yeah, that's what I added and yes, I think it's certainly worth the (little) money  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: