PFL Sony stereo into FL Roadster?

Started by wafers, July 24, 2015, 14:23

wafers

I don't like the look of the FL stereo in my FL MR2, and was given a standard PFL Sony stereo when I bought my car recently.
Main question is, what sort of harness am I going to need to buy to convert my FL Toyota loom into a PFL Sony one?
I had a quick look on the Halfrauds website but can't see an obvious solution. Evilbay doesn't seem to offer one either.
The main thing is that the only connection on the back of the PFL Sony stereo is a 16 pin plug hole. The Toyota loom on my car isn't ANYTHING like it at all!
For now, after taking out my FL stereo and weighing it all up, I've refitted the same one once again, until I get an obvious solution.
Any eBay or Halfords links, or indeed general suggestions would be massively appreciated. Cheers   s:) :) s:)

Markb

At a guess i would say its the same as fitting an aftermarket Sony unit.......try PC2-17-4 plugged into a  PC3-433(to plug into the headunit,and would be supplied with a new Sony unit) on ebay,see if it looks right.....don't think they have changed much over the years.

You will have 2 or 3 plugs left over and unused when replacing the facelift unit.

wafers

Cheers for the info. In the end on went on eBay and bought a Sony 16 pin connector with loom, and a Toyota loom. Cost me just under £10 all in, so pretty pleased with that. I fitted the Sony head unit this afternoon - does seem weird having spare plugs left over in the car's loom! I had to be a bit inventive with the mounting plates from the FL stereo as they didn't line up properly on the PFL stereo. All sorted now though and the Sony definitely has the edge with looks and sound. What were Toyota thinking of when they fitted the FL stereo?!
I just need to find myself a PFL stereo surround now. Anyone got a spare?

Tags: