ipod connector

Started by kanujunkie, November 11, 2004, 10:00

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

I doubt it, as the US head unit is different,  plus teh UK is made by Matsuhita so a Fujitsu changer wouldn't work.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

cheers Mark,

it was only a chance, i thought it may fit as it said it fits a Rav4 and i thought theirs was the same as the fischer-price unit
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Darth Paul

Possibly would, but it's nearly £200!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Try this (my Xmas pressie... hopefully)

http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/ICE_Link_Car_Connectors_for_iPod.html

Seems exactly the same for ALOT LESS dosh.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

agreed  s:D :D s:D  thanx for the tip

but will it work with the fischer price h/u
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Darth Paul

Going back to this... those of you with the post 02 Fisher Price head unit might find this useful.

http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/ICE_Link_Car_Connectors_for_iPod.html

To quote the site:

ice>Link:iPod Car Side Connection for Toyota (Stock Code -1546)
Tight integration of the Apple iPod and iPod mini with your vehicle.
This version of Dension ice>Link:iPod is compatible with all head units used in the Yaris, Corolla, Avensis, Picnic and RAV4 that utilise a Fujitsu Ten autochanger, and is the ultimate car kit for your iPod or iPod Mini.
Available for all Apple iPods from the original 5GB model right through to the very latest iPod mini. If your iPod has a dock connector, you can use the attractive Dension-designed active cradles, or, if you prefer to leave your iPod in a protective case, a cabled connection to the dock connector is also available. A remote control connector cable is available for 1st and 2nd generation iPods (select your connection from the options below).
ice>Link:iPod routes iPod audio through the CD changer port and translates head unit key presses into remote control commands for the iPod giving access to FF/RW as if the iPod was an integrated component of your car stereo.
Self installation or fitting service available through Car Phone Warehouse or UniCar (click links for details).
Please note: To avoid compatibility issues, please enter the Make, Model and Year of your vehicle, plus the make and model of your stereo head unit, in the special instructions field when ordering on-line.

Back to main ice>Link page...
Price:   £110.00 £129.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

markiii

but the post 02 doesn't use a fujitsu changer!
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Darth Paul

I just assumed that as Toyota no longer use Sony, then this must be the new h/u.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I just assumed that as Toyota no longer use Sony, then this must be the new h/u.

It IS the same HU used in the Yaris / Avensis etc - IIRC the SatNav module is the same as the one in the other cars too.

markiii

it's a matsushita head unit.

It may work work with a fujitsu changer but I'd expect it to be Panasonic

Anonymous

Sorry to resurect this one, but those IceLink cables suggest they work just fine with Sony headunits, as in pre-03 ones (like mine).  Anyone any experience, or know whether they're likely to work or not?

Darth Paul

Quote from: "phil4"Sorry to resurect this one, but those IceLink cables suggest they work just fine with Sony headunits, as in pre-03 ones (like mine).  Anyone any experience, or know whether they're likely to work or not?

Hope so, as my wife has got me one for Christmas...  s:? :? s:?   But I won't know whether it works till after Christmas.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

We could both be in the same boat then  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Denison have just brought out a new version of the Icelink.... Icelink Plus, that allows amongst other things, song titles to display on head unit.

http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/ice_Link_Plus_Car_Connectors_for_iPod.html

Still no idea if this will work on Pre-03 Sony headunits, as haven't tried.

Darth Paul

Bloody typical!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   I'll have to see if Bev can send mine back...

crankshaft

Quote from: "phil4"Sorry to resurect this one, but those IceLink cables suggest they work just fine with Sony headunits, as in pre-03 ones (like mine).  Anyone any experience, or know whether they're likely to work or not?

Well I won't bet my life on it, but (unlike the Alpine) sony have always used their 'Unilink' protocol for comms between devices, so almost certainly whatever Sony head unit you have will work.

Alpine changed to the AiBus from Mbus and there's no compatability at all between them.

Cheers

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Darth Paul

As the Ice Link only has a 90 day (faulty) return policy and as it was sat in Bev's wardrobe, yet to be wrapped for Christmas, she decided to let me install it.

Took ages.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  There is NO room in the passenger footwell! That is the side that the autochanger port is on. My back is killing me now.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   The two phono sockets are on the driver's side of the H/U and are a little more accessible.

Still, I succeeded in plugging the bloody things in, and, IT WORKS!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   It's ace! I've yet to mount the active cradle (will do tonight at home) but it's sooooo nice to be rid of the iTrip. (The iTrip was good for what it was, but it had many drawbacks – aerial always up   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  , hissing sound quality, mobile phone interference, and de-tuning as you move about the country.)

Now I have volume control, ff/rr function and skip function – all via the stalk on the steering column. I still need to access the iPod for album/playlist choosing. I've just emailed Denison to see if there is a way to upgrade to the Ice Link Plus. I wait for a reply.

Anonymous

That's good to hear.  I hope Denison are accomodating.

Anonymous

FWIW at present the IceLink Plus will not feedback mp3 titles to the Sony head unit.   Dension state they only support a couple of headunits at the moment.

Anonymous

Not sure if you guys are still interested in this but I have just found a news article about an iPod connector that goes into the tape deck.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/griffin_smartdeck/

Not actually on the market yet but they think it will be available by Q2 this year. You can get more info from:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smartdeck/index.php

Slacey

I installed my ice>link at the weekend and it took in total about half an hour (including the cradle), but I have a single DIN aftermarket Sony, so access was a breeze - I didn't even have to remove any plastic parts.

As Paul said above, sound quality is faultless, and I can control it with my Sony card remote  s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Slacey"I installed my ice>link at the weekend and it took in total about half an hour (including the cradle), but I have a single DIN aftermarket Sony, so access was a breeze - I didn't even have to remove any plastic parts.

As Paul said above, sound quality is faultless, and I can control it with my Sony card remote  s:) :) s:)

I had problem with mine the other night... or so I thought. I'd just installed the Focals the weekend before, and coming out of the cinema I put the iPod in the cradle and put the music on. No sound from my door!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   Only the speakers in the passenger door were working. I turned the music off in disgust and thought about what a ball-ache removing the door card would be....

Next day (in the light) I noticed that the iPod wasn't completely seated in the cradle. So I pushed it in, turned the sounds on, and voila! Stereo service had been resumed!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

So watch for this one – push the bugger in properly!

Anonymous

They are really good.  I didn't read the installation instructions, so did plenty of stuff either in the wrong order or when I shouldn't have.  And it all still works (miracle).  

That said the IceLink Plus still seems to be at an early stage of Dev, with them squashing bugs with new firmware quite often, and plenty of strange behaviour, problems with installs and limited support for text display.

For what it's worth you'll find a support forum for it over at:

http://support.dension.com/forum

kanujunkie

my ma and pa have bought me the Alpine/Ipod connector for my birthday on sunday, and with the alpine headunit the wifes bought me and the 700w(rms) of amps(3) to the 11 speakers, this is going to sound like the doggies doodahs!!, problem is i'm gonna need a very big shoehorn for all this gear.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

so.simple

Quote from: "kanujunkie"11 speakers
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   and   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I am speechless.   s:) :) s:)
Carlos

Tags: