My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on February 26, 2018, 16:47
I had some concerns about my voltage so having that visible was helpful.
In the end it wasn't actually too much effort. If I had done it in one sitting it would have taken me 30 mins tops but I spent some time figuring it out.

I like it anyway. Also like that the temp is in 0.00 :)
Well I've gathered up all the bits, pulled the probe out and if I can remember where my glue gun is I'm going to attempt to destroy it all with too much heat from the iron later![emoji23]
I've got some spare odds and sods of switchgear and terminals so what could possibly go wrong???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Very reasonable offer once again with Greenlight so renewed for another year. Only went up by the standard rise in insurance policy rates caused by the ambulance chaser victims
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Also changed my chain tensioner. At about 85k miles it's about time.
It has actually quieted the engine down a bit but who could tell over the noise of the intake and exhaust

EDIT: Now that I've taken it for a spin it's MUCH quieter! I had no idea it could make such a difference. Thanks for the tip @Carolyn
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Bah! Vacuum leak.
massively high fuel trims at idle :(
Wasn't going to stand in the rain and sort it though...
Another day
...neutiquam erro.

MrT

Hi Patrick
Do you have or know the correct fitting procedure for the chain tensioner please? Or where I can find a workshop manual. I've got one waiting for fitment next week with a service.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

MrT

Patrick, Carolynne pointed me to the how to so no worries, the thanks.
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

shnazzle

Quote from: MrT on April 11, 2018, 09:03
Patrick, Carolynne pointed me to the how to so no worries, the thanks.
Didn't even get a chance :)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Well today is not a good day for the sable. Not a good day at all.
No point trying to convince myself it isn't the case, so might as well face the facts and deal with them. Maybe writing it down will help me just put it on paper, make it definite and move on without feeling sick about it.

Head gasket blown

No coolant in tank.
No leaks
White smoke with a hint of sweetness out the exhaust.
Funky sweet smell to oil and looks thin.
Fuel trims at idle very high (which I thought was a vacuum leak, which I tested for and found nothing).

So. Yeah. Head gasket blown.
Good times.
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Very sorry to hear this Mate.

Get well soon!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Bossworld

Sh1t. Hope you can see a way forward.

wotugonado

That's a downer.
It the first time I've personally ever heard of one going so your very unlucky.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

Quote from: wotugonado on April 14, 2018, 15:13
That's a downer.
Well as Helen says, I brought it on myself.
I was convinced it was going to go at some point. And I do drive it hard. And now it has., so I can't whinge about it
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

That sucks. Hope you're back on the road real soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on April 14, 2018, 15:20
That's a downer.
I was convinced it was going to go at some point. And I do drive it hard. And now it has., so I can't whinge about it

Well.  You CAN whinge about it, but it won't make any bloody difference.  Make sure you have that head skimmed, 'cos it will be slightly distorted.  Time to call in a few favours!!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

andyroo104

Sorry to be reading this, hope you get sorted soon.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

wotugonado

That's a downer.
So was there a warning sign it was on its way out or did you just have an inkling that your driving style would eventually bring on its demise ?

shnazzle

Quote from: wotugonado on April 14, 2018, 16:39
That's a downer.
So was there a warning sign it was on its way out or did you just have an inkling that your driving style would eventually bring on its demise ?

Oh I always knew it was going to go the way I was driving it. Its just 15k early is all :) not just driving style but also the piggyback. Modified=less reliable.
No warning signs. But there usually aren't with a gasket failure. They "just go".
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

Well at least it wasn't a complete shock, and I bet the spirited driving put plenty of smiles on your face :)
So what engine swap are you going for  ;)

delhusband

Sorry to hear that, that's crap. Hope you get sorted.
Hate pointy animals

Bernie

That sucks Pat still you have all the right contacts to get sorted and back on the road
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Chilli Girl

Sorry to hear this too Pat and at the wrong time of the year! 
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jonbill

Bummer.
I know many will disagree, but you could try some kseal.

shnazzle

Thanks all. Most certainly is the wrong damn time of the year!
Not going for any quick fixes. I always said it would go and I'd do a rebuild or swap.
Unfortunately it's about 1.5-2 years earlier than  expected so in no position for a swap. So, going to just have to spend some quality time on the drive.

Good excuse to tidy up my garage/garage-styled-closet and make space for me to work on an engine.

Good times....

Trying to think what caused it. Its not high revs. I never really take it all the way to the limiter.
The only thing I can put it to is some dodgy timing I was running for a while on my piggyback by mistake (always double check your answers before handing in your exams kids!). Meaning, excessive pressure from knock delivered the blow.
That's my best guess for now.
Yes I drive it hard but I always warm it up first. I warm it up as if it were a turbo. I always rev-match on downshifts. But I do slow down using gears a fair bit. This puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the block.

So, either piggyback (I really never noticed any form of bad running) or slowing down too hard in gear at times.

Who knows.
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Sorry to hear this Patrick.  :'(

Maybe it wasn't you or anything you've done and that engine was always destined to blow the gasket! All I can say is it's got to be easier than doing a head gasket on a V8!  :o

I'd love to help but got a long list of stuff needed to pass the MOT and havnt got time to do that at the min! ( was even going to ask you for help! )

Hope you get sorted soon.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Tags: