My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

Joesson

Coincidence!
I 've just used a link from another member to an article about rustproofing and te following I borrowed from that:

"Plastic undertrays are employed by car manufacturers mainly for aerodynamic reasons and they can be as frustrating to
remove as wheelarch liners. They can also hold water against metal and promote corrosion, especially on subframes."

smarty72

Quote from: shnazzle on March 23, 2019, 09:36
Quote from: Joesson on March 23, 2019, 09:33
@shnazzle -
I've said previously that I believe manufacturer's do things for a reason. I can't see why Toyota would put the three ( is it in total) under trays on the 2 if there were not valid reasons.
The "concerns" that you have are likely among the "reasons".
Exactly. They can't just be cosmetic.

What I do find ridiculous is the pointless oil draining "port" in the mid nappy. It's far too small so it just goes into the nappy and causes a massive mess and you can't get to the oil filter. Why would you drain oil without changing the filter.
So, on that note, Toyota designers can sometimes get it very wrong.

I believe they also got the oil control ring design a bit wrong too [emoji848].

Not saying you are wrong, and I can't give you any science about downforce / airflow etc (although never had any issues with handling on trackdays without one).

But what I would say with regard to corrosion is there's plenty of people that have bought cars with nappies on that were masking gaping holes in the subframe.  There's plenty that have (apparently) scuppered the MOT tester who gave them a clean bill of health too.

Mine didn't go back on as a couple of the bolts were made from soft cheese and sheared off and I like regular oil changes...
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Joesson

I suggest that the reason the nappies are removed and not replaced is because is the nappy has not been regularly removed previously and the metal fixings have corroded in place over time and break off when they are removed.
This nappy removal and refitting,with cable ties or whatever, then becomes a chore!
The retapping of the tray fixings was one of my first jobs on my 2. I replaced all the steel fixings with stainless.
My tray is removed once a year, it allows easier access for oil and filter change and importantly a good look around at what is occurring in a relatively clean and dirt and road debris protected area.  The tray is then replaced, in not many minutes, to carry on with whatever it was intended to do.

shnazzle

Just realised AC isn't working... Great just before summer.
A/C clutch kicks in fine and it's spinning but no cold air.
I had it regassed not that long ago (a year or so). I have noticed it hasn't been particularly chilly air for a while, always just thought I didn't have it on long enough. Which is stupid as that's not how it works..

Not a DIY thing either so unfortunately off to a garage for the first time in years.
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on April 20, 2019, 10:16
I had it regassed not that long ago (a year or so). I have noticed it hasn't been particularly chilly air for a while, always just thought I didn't have it on long enough. Which is stupid as that's not how it works..

Not a DIY thing either so unfortunately off to a garage for the first time in years.

Very happy to recommend the guy that sorted mine, knows his stuff inside out.

Graham Stobbs - http://www.coolauto.co.uk

I know he was having issues with emails through the website last summer

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on April 20, 2019, 20:42

Excellent, thanks Joe.
If possible, do you mind PMing/messaging me what you paid? Just so it can go on the budget spreadsheet :)
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on April 20, 2019, 21:33
Quote from: Bossworld on April 20, 2019, 20:42

Excellent, thanks Joe.
If possible, do you mind PMing/messaging me what you paid? Just so it can go on the budget spreadsheet :)

Sent you a text. Hopefully you don't need a new condenser

shnazzle

Not sure how much longer my roof is going to be waterproof  :'( :'( :'( The symmetrical holes on both sides are getting bigger.
Trip to Wales is definitely not in the budget anytime soon.
Might be a job soon for  @dick2ski

Did order some stuff to fix some issues; an oil catch can, some windscreen adhesive for the engine mounts and copper brake like repair kit for my knackered front hard lines. Oh the fun times ahead
...neutiquam erro.

StuC

Quote from: shnazzle on May  2, 2019, 21:32
Trip to Wales is definitely not in the budget anytime soon.

Other than the one later this month!? ;)

I feel your pain RE: leaky roof.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

Fore and aft engine mount filling done today to try to resolve the slop a bit.

Lifted the engine a fair bit so that it was centered in the mounts (slightly higher actually to allow for some sagging) and then got filling.
Used sikaflex 255fc. Went for that as it had a Shore rating of about 55A, which should be a good balance of firmness and compliance.

That is nasty stuff! I had to bathe my hands in white spirit to get it off. Gloves heavily recommended. Dries rather quickly as well. Seemingly much quicker than Tiger Seal.

Hopefully that'll stop some rocking. But, I think I might save for some new mounts. Especially for how easy it is to replace them.

Engine damper fitting was a fail as I couldn't get the bracket to line up. Will have to investigate further.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Engine damper is now in and very pleased with the results. A bit of vibration in cabin but gear shifts are even more seamless now. Winner. There is an odd "clunk" when I first start reversing though so something is moving.

Also this arrived

...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Never mind the catch can, what the hell is in the Sesame street mug??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  8, 2019, 19:14

My severely over-milked tea in my favourite Cookie Monster cup
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on May  8, 2019, 19:17

The mug is forgivable, the tea...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  8, 2019, 19:18
Quote from: shnazzle on May  8, 2019, 19:17

The mug is forgivable, the tea...

I know. I usually have it rather dark :(
I make Helen's tea, then take her teabag and put it in mine with a fresh one and leave it until a nice little film forms :) Then a tad milk. Sorted :) 1 sugar on a rough day
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Much hilarity fitting the catch can.
Got some ebay hoses; "reinforced", oil and fuel safe hoses. Fitted the lot (easier said than done for that pipe on the intake mani!). And went for a drive to check for  vacuum leaks.

No leaks but on return, the "reinforced" hoses had well and truly collapsed! Message sent to seller.

Then later I thought, I wonder if they expand again under atmospheric pressure. So, opened engine and revved it.
Yes! Haha! The pipes "pulse" into life with each opening of the throttle.
Proper pikey catch can setup.
14 quid catch can and 4 quid ebay hoses. But, it works!

Not happy with the location so it's getting moved to the strut tower soon. There's a nice little property - made hole in  it.

...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

New rear tyres arrived. Good stuff. Little less urgent now with the sudden increase in temperature.

I opened up my catch can, just out of curiosity.
Already a healthy film of oil on the baffle and one drip in the can. I'm surprised, that's just after a couple of days.
I'm glad I fitted this :)
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on May 14, 2019, 16:34
New rear tyres arrived. Good stuff. Little less urgent now with the sudden increase in temperature.

I opened up my catch can, just out of curiosity.
Already a healthy film of oil on the baffle and one drip in the can. I'm surprised, that's just after a couple of days.
I'm glad I fitted this :)

Reminds me of the old juice loosener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viejY6UZ5Bk

(Delete if too off topic)  :-[

thetyrant

Looks good :), although as mentioned on other thread i would move the catch can above the breather outlet on rocker cover or it will fill much quicker as oil can drain down into it, also use proper hoses that dont collapse under vacuum or its kind of pointless and engine cant breath :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

Quote from: thetyrant on May 15, 2019, 12:03
Looks good :), although as mentioned on other thread i would move the catch can above the breather outlet on rocker cover or it will fill much quicker as oil can drain down into it, also use proper hoses that dont collapse under vacuum or its kind of pointless and engine cant breath :D
Yes the pipes definitely need replacing. Still not sure how it would fill quicker being where it is. Can you explain? The valve cover isn't filled with oil that just spill out of the pcv :)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on May 15, 2019, 12:50
Quote from: thetyrant on May 15, 2019, 12:03
Yes the pipes definitely need replacing. Still not sure how it would fill quicker being where it is. Can you explain? The valve cover isn't filled with oil that just spill out of the pcv :)
Also interested on this one, bearing in mind the standard pipe runs downhill to the intake?

thetyrant

Ive always found it best practise to have it higher up as recommended to me by an old tuner that used to work on my car, mainly on boosted engines though which of course can breath a bit heavier so maybe more of an issue there. I guess you could try a back to back run it for awhile lower down and same with it higher up see what happens.

To be honest on one of these cars in NA form for it shouldn't really be needed anyhows, but its nice to have a clean intake :D 

Call the midlife!

Quote from: thetyrant on May 15, 2019, 13:49
Ive always found it best practise to have it higher up as recommended to me by an old tuner that used to work on my car, mainly on boosted engines though which of course can breath a bit heavier so maybe more of an issue there. I guess you could try a back to back run it for awhile lower down and same with it higher up see what happens.

To be honest on one of these cars in NA form for it shouldn't really be needed anyhows, but its nice to have a clean intake :D
Having it higher makes sense, no argument there, just wondering why Toyota do it the other way? Unless as discussed with Patrick earlier it's to help avoid condensate potentially getting back to the head and contaminating the oil.
All I know is I don't want it all going through my shiny, new TB and clean intake manifold.

shnazzle

It'd be very very impressive if condensation made it through the filters of this catch can. But in any case, pcv is one way, no nowt is going to get back in that way and the intake spends a lot of time in vacuum state (idle and overrun) which would draw far more oil vapour in than condensation would ever do.

But yes, could very easily do back to back and you're also right in that they're usually mounted higher up.

Just can't think why

Edit: a brief Google tells me that it only needs to be mounted higher if you have a drain-back setup. Which we don't :)
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

A lot of the time on big power tuned cars they are fitted onto non factory breather outlets, so a big - fitting drilled into the rocker cover as an example, this isnt always baffled like the oe ports so oil can get flung into the breather by spinning camshafts etc and then its essential to have it mounted higher up, most case fitted to OE breather port that should have a baffle plate to separate flying oil it shouldn't matter too much either way i guess, also remember Toyotas design is based on a perfect engine not one with many miles and possible heavy breathing.

There is mixed opinion when you start looking into but i just stick with what i know works, i quite like this article -  https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/engine-breather-system.html

Tags: