My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

shnazzle

Looks like a good article, will give it a read
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Saw this link to a video that confirms that my catch can is a pretty darn good copy of a very expensive Mishimoto, for a 10th of the price.
https://youtu.be/T-B4VRxAtbw

So far so happy, it seems to be catching a fair bit of blow-by even just after a week.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Thanks for sharing.

The ´couple of days´/ ´couple of weeks´ , translates to how many kms/miles?

I put an akin catch tanks on several previous cars but those were turbo diesels with manual boost valve tweeking the pressure.
On an NA it is usually not necessary although it doés keep the inlet cleaner*.
The Spirit MR-S does have one fitted but that is on a tuned 2ZZ with a lot of blow-by and the can has a drain back to the sump.

*For those shocked by the oily residue going through the intake: The catch tank cools ánd separates the oil which is in  vapour/mist in the crank case fumes from the cam covers. It does not separate like this in the inlet but is simply sucked in with the thousands of litres of air/ minute, going through there at high speed: It is not like thís in the inlet.

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 18, 2019, 08:59
Thanks for sharing.

The ´couple of days´/ ´couple of weeks´ , translates to how many kms/miles?

I put an akin catch tanks on several previous cars but those were turbo diesels with manual boost valve tweeking the pressure.
On an NA it is usually not necessary although it doés keep the inlet cleaner*.
The Spirit MR-S does have one fitted but that is on a tuned 2ZZ with a lot of blow-by and the can has a drain back to the sump.

*For those shocked by the oily residue going through the intake: The catch tank cools ánd separates the oil which is in  vapour/mist in the crank case fumes from the cam covers. It does not separate like this in the inlet but is simply sucked in with the thousands of litres of air/ minute, going through there at high speed: It is not like thís in the inlet.
Spot on. It's not like "sludge" is pouring through your valves all the time. It's a very fine mist.
It's worth noting that the catch can is not necessary on the stock 1zz, but it does keep things a bit cleaner. On a 2zz,personally I would put it as a matter of course. And turbo+supercharged cars of course.

Another point is that catch cans really prevent damage and poor running mostly on direct injection engines where the only thing that hits your valves is air and the oil/fuel vapour. This is when you see those pictures of coked up black valves. Especially mixed with EGR in modern diesels, it's just a recipe for disaster.

On our port injection engines where fuel is mixed with air before it hits the valves, its less of an issue as the valves are cleaned by the fuel. This is why I run vpower fuel. Not because it's superior fuel but because it has good cleaning agents which keep the valves and injectors nice and clear.

Now with the catch can, the vpower doesn't have to clean off oil residue anymore :) And my fuel mixture isn't dirtied by oil mist,making for a cleaner combustion which always helps MOT.

The pic above was after about 250 miles. I've done about 50k miles since I bought the car. So that gives me an impression of how much oil has been in my combustion cycle over that amount of time.
I would say that is about 10ml. 50k/250= 200 x 10 = 2000ml. It's very minor but it's still 2 liters of oil dirtying my intake tract and piston crowns.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

No difference of opinion there AT ALL Patrick.

Nevertheless, the residu after almost 400 kms is realy not a lot.
Will be cleaning the pcv valve in a moment (and checking the shock gaiters) but not adding complications with the catch tank. As the valve is one way anyway, would prefer to fit a filter and plug the inlet  ;)

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 18, 2019, 10:27
No difference of opinion there AT ALL Patrick.

Nevertheless, the residu after almost 400 kms is realy not a lot.
Will be cleaning the pcv valve in a moment (and checking the shock gaiters) but not adding complications with the catch tank. As the valve is one way anyway, would prefer to fit a filter and plug the inlet  ;)
Think of the children!! The CHILDREN!

Following on from not wanting to complicate things... As usual the caveat to any mod other than the exhaust manifold mod is.... Stock is best. :)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

As we intend to do my valve clearances at Ding Day (spoiler alert!), one of the prerequisites was for me to measure the clearances beforehand to save time.

So I did that and I'm very pleased to say all but two are within tolerance. But all are on the high end of tolerance (particularly exhaust side). So to make it all quieter we're going for it at Ding Day.

Results:
1I = 0.216,0.210
1E= 0.330,0.305
2I = 0.229, 0.200
2E = 0.356,0.330
3I = 0.216,0.216
3E = 0.330, 0.356
4I = 0.203, 0.229
4E = 0.330, 0.330

Tolerances are:
Intake: 0.15mm - 0.25mm
Exhaust: 0.25mm - 0.35mm

Added bonus is that the head looked very clean indeed.

...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Why does your fuel rail look a bit pink?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 24, 2019, 15:39

Partially the lighting but all of the rails I've seen have some pinkish hue to them, if not green/goldish
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Ah right... Think mine is a goldy green..

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on May 24, 2019, 15:51
Quote from: jvanzyl on May 24, 2019, 15:39

Partially the lighting but all of the rails I've seen have some pinkish hue to them, if not green/goldish
Mine is black, black as the blackest night in a very dark place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

You're going to take the cams out in the carpark on Saturday? Admire your bravery there..[emoji851]

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 24, 2019, 15:57
You're going to take the cams out in the carpark on Saturday? Admire your bravery there..[emoji851]

With Carolyn's support! And, we decided to do it then as it's a great learning opportunity for others
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on May 24, 2019, 16:11

With Carolyn's support! And, we decided to do it then as it's a great learning opportunity for others
It is that! I've got a part can of RTV lying around, remind me to bring it if you want a couple of squirts on the day.

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 24, 2019, 16:27
Quote from: shnazzle on May 24, 2019, 16:11

It is that! I've got a part can of RTV lying around, remind me to bring it if you want a couple of squirts on the day.

Not going to say no :) Cheers!
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Why 'bravery'??  What's the RTV for?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May 24, 2019, 17:18

The RTV/FIPG is also in the manual, the little globs where the timing chain cover meets the block.
I purposely didn't remove the existing FIPG.
At Ding Day I'll remove and replace
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

The two little squirts where the timing chain cover meets the block, as per the instructions?

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May 24, 2019, 16:11With Carolyn's support! And, we decided to do it then as it's a great learning opportunity for others

I would be there with eyes on stalks if I lived on the chalk Island  :D

jvanzyl

Let's crowdfund petrus to come attend?

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 24, 2019, 17:34

The two little squirts where the timing chain cover meets the block, as per the instructions?

Really only needed if the timing cover has been off...... 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May 24, 2019, 17:47
Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 24, 2019, 17:34

Really only needed if the timing cover has been off......
Not-so-mechanic: don't question manual. Do as told. Spend ages doing work.
Mechanic: use knowledge to save time.

One step further towards us being mechanics :) hahaha. In the faaaaar future
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Worth changing the gasket too if you haven't done so before.

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on May 24, 2019, 21:47
Worth changing the gasket too if you haven't done so before.
Already done
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

New rear tyres fitted, AD08R as usual.
Lost locking wheel nut key. Luckily mobile tyre fitter dude had a very handy brass tool that had them off in seconds.

New pipes fitted for catch can to PCV. Much better.

...neutiquam erro.

Tags: