What is the OEM dash bulb?

Started by Zzepa, November 15, 2015, 19:10

Zzepa

Hi, I've done a search and although I can find a lot of literature on people doing all sorts of things to their dash lights, I can't seem to find a straight answer to the question - What is the OEM dash bulb?

People have suggested that it's a 504 capless 1.3w, a 286 (T5) capless 1.2w and a 3w and I want to be certain.

I guess whilst I'm here I might as well ask - say the answer is... 504 capless 1.3w, would increasing the wattage to 3w cause any issues?

Thanks.

Ardent

do not know the answer to your question. I went to local dealer pulled parts diagram shown him which one and he went and got one.

where the fuel guage was unlit it is now brighter than al the others hey ho.

twitchers

I replaced some recently, I used a 286 Capless Dashboard Blub 12V 1.2w W2/4.6d 5mm. Same brightness / size as the other bulbs.

Jock

Being daft here   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
Are the originals bulbs or wedges   s:? :? s:?   ?

Jock

Ok maybe as dim as my lights but:
I have removed the V 2 holder which contains an LED wedge - not a bulb.
Perhaps Ardent could throw some light on this and confirm if his "one" was a bulb or an LED ?
Could this be the problem with the rheostat and an LED    s:? :? s:?

Ardent

Looked like what Twitcher refers to.

To my mind I would class it a bulb rather than an LED.

Remove the holder from the dash. Pull out the bulb from the holder. No twisting. Just pull, maybe a wiggle, and you have one of these.
 m http://www.amazon.co.uk/286-Capless-Das ... B002BB53IU m

Jock

Thanks Ardent.
Somebody in the past has replaced my bulbs with capless wedges:

For anyone else interested the above slot into the holder and are 5 x 5 x 20mm.

Enjay

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have a link to an Amazon or somewhere listing with LEDs that are a simple 1 for 1 swap out for the original dash bulbs?  My dash is very dim with a particularly dull spot beside 60MPH on the speedo and I'm hoping to up the brightness a bit.  

I've had the dash out and there is no bulb missing in that particular area, it's just dull.  I posted some time ago that I have a bit of a weird dash (  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52667 l  ).  My car is an import and I think that the dash was modified simply by replacing the face of the kmh one with a mph one but I'm just getting around to doing something about it.  If it used the standard layout, I might have bought one of those electroluminescent ones but I can't find one compatible with the layout of my dash.  There's no problem with incompatibility with a rheostat or anything because the lights on my dash are not dimmable.

I do have a UK spec dash in my garage somewhere and I've been meaning to plug it in at some point to see what happens (and compare the indicated speed to a sat nav) but, again, I haven't get around to it.

Tags: