Improving headlights

Started by monkeybrain1234, January 17, 2016, 23:39

Bernie

Just throwing another option out there I have changed over the FL fogs for these ring driving light / DRL angel eyes

Have the driving lights wired in to the high beam only to be legal so 2 in 1

m http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... ving-lamps m

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

StuC

Where is that Bernie?

I take it that is Rog's old car in front of yours?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Bernie

New Forest drive to Beaulieu Jap Cars day 2014 Stu
Yep Rogers old car when Josh had it
Shame the donkey's ar5e got in the Pik !
Readers Ride

stewart@boro

Quote from: "bernie11a"Just throwing another option out there I have changed over the FL fogs for these ring driving light / DRL angel eyes

Think that's me at the back, only been driving for 6 hours when that was taken, plenty of get up and go left  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

StuC

Quote from: "bernie11a"New Forest drive to Beaulieu Jap Cars day 2014 Stu
Yep Rogers old car when Josh had it
Shame the donkey's ar5e got in the Pik !
That'll be why I don't remember it then.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

theredone

Quote from: "monkeybrain1234"Have ordered the night breakers ultimate H7 bulbs.....

these are the dipped beam bulbs. I would have thought you would be better to upgrade the main beam bulbs - hb3.
that`s what I`ve done. I have a set of h7`s but they are a bit more awkward to get at so have not bothered with them so far.

CrazySX

Was my reply deleted? Or did I not press the right button?

MOD - Post was deleted having said The Club cannot condone or promote HIDs the post was deemed not permissible
The thread has offered solutions that comply so please respect the Clubs position

shnazzle

Quote from: "theredone"
Quote from: "monkeybrain1234"Have ordered the night breakers ultimate H7 bulbs.....

these are the dipped beam bulbs. I would have thought you would be better to upgrade the main beam bulbs - hb3.
that`s what I`ve done. I have a set of h7`s but they are a bit more awkward to get at so have not bothered with them so far.
Isn't it the dipped you want to change? Unless you drive around with mains all night  s:) :) s:)  
Having upgraded mains is nice for the dark lanes though. Light up the place like Vegas.
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

It's meeee!!  s:) :) s:)  God I miss that car  s:( :( s:(

Think I need another sable   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

Quote from: "Jrichards20"It's meeee!!  s:) :) s:)  God I miss that car  s:( :( s:(

Think I need another sable   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Wrong thread?  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Right thread, just a bit delayed! Its too early in the morning for me to do anything right yet!  s:) :) s:)  Should have bought that really cheap sable that was up for sale last month.   s:( :( s:(  *crying*

Quote from: "Stewart@Boro"
Quote from: "bernie11a"Just throwing another option out there I have changed over the FL fogs for these ring driving light / DRL angel eyes

Think that's me at the back, only been driving for 6 hours when that was taken, plenty of get up and go left  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Quote from: "StuC"Where is that Bernie?

I take it that is Rog's old car in front of yours?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

monkeybrain1234

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "theredone"

Isn't it the dipped you want to change? Unless you drive around with mains all night  s:) :) s:)  
Having upgraded mains is nice for the dark lanes though. Light up the place like Vegas.

H7 for dipped lights is what i am after. It's the normal driving I am trying to improve currently. I may also upgrade the full beams too but I rarely use them. Will certainly keep it in mind about changing full beams too. Let's see how much of a difference the dipped night breakers make first.

Bugster_MR2

+1 for Osram Nightbreakers.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

CrazySX

Quote from: "CrazySX"Was my reply deleted? Or did I not press the right button?

MOD - Post was deleted having said The Club cannot condone or promote HIDs the post was deemed not permissible
The thread has offered solutions that comply so please respect the Clubs position
Fair enough.

Glubux

I fitted Trucklites (100% LED) on my car, it works great !

It's a lot of work, a bit expensive but worth it !

monkeybrain1234

Thought I would update this with the difference.

The Osram Nightbreakers as recommended by many of you.

Fitting them Passengers side with new bulb, Drivers still old bulb.  Even in daylight you could notice a difference.

And a Before and after shot at night.

Huge difference when driving in the dark now.  Thanks for the advice all.   s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

Good stuff. Forgot what a difference it makes
...neutiquam erro.

ash.carr

Quote from: "Glubux"I fitted Trucklites (100% LED) on my car, it works great !

Good lord. I have a thing about lights, its the main thing that made me check out the Leon before I bought it. Veeeeeery nice. But yeah, expensive! I love the retrofit projectors some people have too.
"I have no idea what I\'m doing"

CrazySX

Quote from: "Glubux"I fitted Trucklites (100% LED) on my car, it works great !

Nice to see someone doing something different. Are they legal? And how does the adjustment work on them?

I see what you did now.. good work!

Glubux

Because they are glued on the original reflector, the adjustment works the same as before.
I don't know exactly about the legal concern, HID wouldn't be because of the sprayer every HID headlight should have, however this is LED and some new cars with LED headlights don't have sprayers anymore...

CrazySX

Quote from: "Glubux"Because they are glued on the original reflector, the adjustment works the same as before.
I don't know exactly about the legal concern, HID wouldn't be because of the sprayer every HID headlight should have, however this is LED and some new cars with LED headlights don't have sprayers anymore...

LED fall into the same category as HID.  However looks like the only requirement is to have washer jets.  The self levelling is mitigated in section 1.7 paragraph 9 as can be found here.  m http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT%20C ... ghting.pdf m  So, in brief, make sure they are aligned well and keep them clean and we are good.  I am exploring the option of fitting washer jets, however, they may look ugly aesthetically.  Also, from my experience (on the 200sx), they do very little to actually clean the lights if the lights are covered in dead flies and tar, they actually do very little to even remove normal dirt. But.. if it means an easier life at the MOT station then happy days.  I think i have used the headlight washer jets on the 200sx maybe twice in over 10 years of ownership.  Mostly down to the fact that i like my cars to be kept clean  s;) ;) s;)

Glubux

I think the real purpose of the washer jets is to melt the ice/snow/steam that the lower temp of the HID can't melt, the problem can be worse with LED because there is almost no heat.
The alignement is done correctly , no problems at all with other drivers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bernie

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "Glubux"Because they are glued on the original reflector, the adjustment works the same as before.

LED fall into the same category as HID.  However looks like the only requirement is to have washer jets.  The self levelling is mitigated in section 1.7 paragraph 9 as can be found here.  m http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT%20C ... ghting.pdf m  So, in brief, make sure they are aligned well and keep them clean and we are good.  I am exploring the option of fitting washer jets, however, they may look ugly aesthetically.  Also, from my experience (on the 200sx), they do very little to actually clean the lights if the lights are covered in dead flies and tar, they actually do very little to even remove normal dirt. But.. if it means an easier life at the MOT station then happy days.  I think i have used the headlight washer jets on the 200sx maybe twice in over 10 years of ownership.  Mostly down to the fact that i like my cars to be kept clean  s;) ;) s;)

Just to further comment should you manage to retro fit a washer system hanging your hat on a tester agreeing our 2's fall into this statement mentioned is up for debate !
"It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

So to summarise again The Club cannot sanction or condone the use of HIDs or LED headlights and it's at the owners risk should they decide to fit
Readers Ride

Jock

Would somebody PLEASE look at these improved headlights from the other side   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ?
Go to a floodlit event, watch the action and then take a look up into the lights   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  !
Now look back at the action - the car you dazzled is heading for YOU or the child in the periphery   s:( :( s:(  !

How far ahead can you see?  Bend in the road, no problem!

You might know the road but you do not know what is on the road   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Jock"Would somebody PLEASE look at these improved headlights from the other side   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ?
Go to a floodlit event, watch the action and then take a look up into the lights   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  !
Now look back at the action - the car you dazzled is heading for YOU or the child in the periphery   s:( :( s:(  !

How far ahead can you see?  Bend in the road, no problem!

You might know the road but you do not know what is on the road   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .

I'm with you here, I'm completely pi--ed off being blinded by these nobjockeys driving around with HID in reflector housings not designed for them. About time the police had a purge on them.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: