Improving headlights

Started by monkeybrain1234, January 17, 2016, 23:39

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Jock"Would somebody PLEASE look at these improved headlights from the other side   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ?
Go to a floodlit event, watch the action and then take a look up into the lights   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  !
Now look back at the action - the car you dazzled is heading for YOU or the child in the periphery   s:( :( s:(  !

How far ahead can you see?  Bend in the road, no problem!

You might know the road but you do not know what is on the road   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .

Exactly this. Putting HID lamps in projector / reflector systems designed for halogen bulbs will produce too much off pattern light causing excess glare for oncoming drivers. The pattern is often poor too, with hot spots actually reducing effective illumination. LED sources are a very different shape to filaments and produce a poor pattern. It's just very inconsiderate to do these conversions.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Glubux's led is one I would entertain as it was designed to replace the lamp on a defender and uses a specific built in reflector.

shnazzle

I've ranted about this before... It's driving me to disparity.
However, I must say, the absolute worst car on the road for this at the minute is the new Nissan Qashqai. Perfectly aligned, auto-leveling, etc etc. Blinds the living s*** out of you!

Is there somewhere an official complaint can be logged?
...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

Yes i agree Glubux's conversion is excellent imho, totally replcing the reflector with a unit designed to work with the light source.
I have seen a S1 Elise conversion to HID which completely replaces the headlight too which seems to work, but i won't be swapping mine out.

Patrick i feel all 4x4's should be banned from using HID since their lights sit hight than normal cars they're simply unsuited to that type of headlight source imho
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

Yes, but they are a necessary part of the outside lane bullying apparatus, so often utilised by Range Rovers and similar.
Roar up to your bumper at silly speed with as much illumination as possible, so people move out of the way.
Chav pushy to pass!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

If you seen the new land rover defender then their lights will do you a favor so you can't see the abortion that they have made it with the new model.

StuC

Quote from: "rbuckingham"If you seen the new land rover defender then their lights will do you a favor so you can't see the abortion that they have made it with the new model.
I take it your not a fan then rich?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"If you seen the new land rover defender then their lights will do you a favor so you can't see the abortion that they have made it with the new model.
I take it your not a fan then rich?

Could anyone be a fan?

StuC

There are quite a few at JLR that like it.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuC"There are quite a few at JLR that like it.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Is it time we get you committed Stu? Have you finally lost it?

CrazySX

Quote from: "bernie11a"
Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "Glubux"Because they are glued on the original reflector, the adjustment works the same as before.
I don't know exactly about the legal concern, HID wouldn't be because of the sprayer every HID headlight should have, however this is LED and some new cars with LED headlights don't have sprayers anymore...

LED fall into the same category as HID.  However looks like the only requirement is to have washer jets.  The self levelling is mitigated in section 1.7 paragraph 9 as can be found here.  m http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT%20C ... ghting.pdf m  So, in brief, make sure they are aligned well and keep them clean and we are good.  I am exploring the option of fitting washer jets, however, they may look ugly aesthetically.  Also, from my experience (on the 200sx), they do very little to actually clean the lights if the lights are covered in dead flies and tar, they actually do very little to even remove normal dirt. But.. if it means an easier life at the MOT station then happy days.  I think i have used the headlight washer jets on the 200sx maybe twice in over 10 years of ownership.  Mostly down to the fact that i like my cars to be kept clean  s;) ;) s;)

Just to further comment should you manage to retro fit a washer system hanging your hat on a tester agreeing our 2's fall into this statement mentioned is up for debate !
"It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

So to summarise again The Club cannot sanction or condone the use of HIDs or LED headlights and it's at the owners risk should they decide to fit
I understand this, I was just saying if done properly and aligned there should be no issues. I have fitted HIDS to a few cars of mine and done it properly and even passed MOT.  I agree that lots of people who don't know what they are doing fit them badly and give everyone esle a bad name. I know the club doesn't condone or sanction HIDS.  I am a 36 yr old man who, regardless of being part of a club has made my own decisions from a very early age.  To this end other adults on this forum i presume would do the same. This thread was about improving headlights and opinions on HIDS too. So I gave mine. What the OP decides to do is their decision.

ash.carr

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "Glubux"Because they are glued on the original reflector, the adjustment works the same as before.
I don't know exactly about the legal concern, HID wouldn't be because of the sprayer every HID headlight should have, however this is LED and some new cars with LED headlights don't have sprayers anymore...

LED fall into the same category as HID.  However looks like the only requirement is to have washer jets.  The self levelling is mitigated in section 1.7 paragraph 9 as can be found here.  m http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT%20C ... ghting.pdf m  So, in brief, make sure they are aligned well and keep them clean and we are good.  I am exploring the option of fitting washer jets, however, they may look ugly aesthetically.  Also, from my experience (on the 200sx), they do very little to actually clean the lights if the lights are covered in dead flies and tar, they actually do very little to even remove normal dirt. But.. if it means an easier life at the MOT station then happy days.  I think i have used the headlight washer jets on the 200sx maybe twice in over 10 years of ownership.  Mostly down to the fact that i like my cars to be kept clean  s;) ;) s;)

The washers on my Leon might as well not be there. And that thing is full LED from DRL to main beam, not a single bulb.

Aftermarket HIDs with no levelling, in reflective housing, or misaligned projectors are the worst. When done properly they are perfectly fine. I think Seat did a good job with mine, I've had plenty behind and in front and suffer no issues. People don't tend to flash either. Issue is, nobody does them properly. I find even the 3 year old mercs, especially the E class to be terrible. And yeah, high vehicles need them buggers angling down.

Its surprising how much a set of lights go for the '2 in case you bone a DIY job. I plan on osrams, as alternatives that I've seen such as retrofits are either hideously expensive, or most likely dazzling unless you nail the set up.
"I have no idea what I\'m doing"

CrazySX

For anyone wanting night breakers,  euro car parts have 50% off right now!

m http://beta.eurocarparts.com/upgrade-he ... +Day+(BULB m )&_bta_tid=3.AIdk.CkYxXw.E3JN.Aq6blA..A2vHQA.b..s.Ah6P.n...r26blQ

Jrichards20

Quote from: "CrazySX"For anyone wanting night breakers,  euro car parts have 50% off right now!

m http://beta.eurocarparts.com/upgrade-he ... +Day+(BULB m )&_bta_tid=3.AIdk.CkYxXw.E3JN.Aq6blA..A2vHQA.b..s.Ah6P.n...r26blQ

Oh bloody hell. I'm trying not to spend any money.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

ash.carr

Quote from: "CrazySX"For anyone wanting night breakers,  euro car parts have 50% off right now!

Thaaaankyou very much!
"I have no idea what I\'m doing"

Tags: