Mini supercharger on 1zz

Started by Carolyn, February 26, 2016, 19:14

lamcote

For the first test run it would be very helpful to have two different SC pulley sizes to allow us to identify differences in performance between the two boost levels. Perhaps 120mm and 110mm would be safe ones to use. This should give about 4.5psi and 5psi. Is this enough of a difference? Might not be, but don't want to melt the pistons...
We will need a wideband o2 sensor to monitor AFRs and a boost guage. Is there anything else anyone can think of, bearing in mind we won't have a sophisticated ECU for data logging?
How do you monitor the knock sensor with just the standard ECU on the engine?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

lamcote

Could you mount the engine temporarily without building a full subframe. This would allow us to test the engine and get some idea if it might work, without you going to the trouble of designing and building the full subframe structure? It's up to you, of course.

Jrichards20

Can anyone translate this into English for me please?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Carolyn

I can hear when an engine is knocking.  Perhaps you can start sourcing the pulleys?  Boost gauge is no problem.

I'm going to build the subframe and the exhaust manifold.  That way we do a real-world test.  It's got to have a complete exhaust and it's got to move at some point.

There's no reason why we can't be lining things up in the meantime.  More haste...

We're going to make it work.  I'm the one taking the risk, and I'm happy with that.  

You can drive yourself mad thinking up problems before we get to them.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Carolyn

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Can anyone translate this into English for me please?

What would you like translated?

lamcote

How many ribs and what belt width am I looking for on the pulleys?

Presumably a crank pulley / water pump pulley etc of the right size would do? Are any of the other pulleys on the car the right size by chance?

shnazzle

Quote from: "Carolyn"I can hear when an engine is knocking.  

I wouldn't dream doubting your expertise, you know that, but wouldn't at least rigging up a strobe or something to the knock sensor be a good idea? I was always under the impression that if a knock can be heard, you  should have caught it sooner.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

I think it's the ignition timing that may be the biggest problem. We have no way of varying the ignition timing in response to boost levels, unless the adjustable vane MAF would allow us to alter this by tricking the ECU. So maybe we do need it?
My research suggests that "a supercharged engine requires a different advance curve from that of a naturally aspirated engine". This is because it is a "variable compression ratio" engine and as the effective compression ratio increases you need more ignition retard. The standard ECU won't deliver this unless it is modified or tricked to do so.
It is suggested that compared to a naturally aspirated engine, we may need 1-2 deg of ignition retard per 1psi of boost. We need to work out how to deliver this using the standard ECU.
Is there such a thing as a cheap piggyback control unit just for ignition timing control, reacting to boost levels? Could a Raspberry Pi be wired in to the system to achieve this?

Anonymous

The pe uses a 5 psi turbo with stock engine including ecu and injectors but they moved the maf upped the fuel pressure

lamcote

Sorry for ignorance, what is pe?

Sounds promising though, thanks. Maybe 5psi is within tolerance for standard systems? We're just going to have to try this and see what happens.

lamcote

Could we use 1zz injectors with increased fuel pressure? What pressure increase is achievable and can it be variable over the rpm range?
Also what is standard 1zz injector size at 43.5psi? I can find no good info on this, everything from 230 - 290cc all over the place!

Anonymous

280 from memory a pe stands for power enterprise. They lifted the fuel a bar to 3 bar I think have to double check but 3 rings a bell. Stock system will correct within reason.

Personally if it was me I would pay the money and get an emerald ECU fitted and run a map system.

Carolyn

Patrick: you're over complicating things.

If it doesn't work, we'll get an ecu

Carolyn

Quote from: "rbuckingham"280 from memory a pe stands for power enterprise. They lifted the fuel a bar to 3 bar I think have to double check but 3 rings a bell. Stock system will correct within reason.

Personally if it was me I would pay the money and get an emerald ECU fitted and run a map system.

£700 for an emerald.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Carolyn"Patrick: you're over complicating things.

If it doesn't work, we'll get an ecu
Hehe I like how the variable MAF valve was simple but hooking up a strobe or led while tweaking is too complicated  s:) :) s:)  

Have to wonder though, once this kit is done and there are any  x solutions to get around a piggyback, wouldn't it be a better idea to just get the piggyback? It is a bit more, I'll give you that, but surely someone must have an ultimate we can borrow for a few months?

Having said that... A map should be unique per car, where mechanical isn't
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Wrong Patrick  not you - Lamcote.  Hooking up a strobe ain't a bad idea.  I'm going to try for mechanical first.  If I have to get an ecu, I will.

lamcote

Hmmm, I suspect that rebuke was aimed in my direction, I am Patrick too!

Just getting carried away again!!

lamcote

Ahh, yes, thought so. (Sorry I was writing my last post when yours arrived so missed it.)

Carolyn

No Patrick '2' not aimed at you.  I'm doing my best to follow the KISS principle, in combination with 'I am not rich' reality.

Carolyn

To make it clear: Shnazzle, no rebuke.  Lamcote: slow down, we'll get there.

lamcote

Lamcote rebuked, Shnazzle in the clear, but watch your step!

shnazzle

Haha. Noted. As already stated, I do often fall foul of the KISS rule

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Sorry guys.  A bit tetchy this afternoon.  Took the exhaust off the blue car, then my hand slipped attempting to remove the idler pulley and took a huge chuck of skin off my arm.  Went into a bit of a shock reaction...  just recovering...

shnazzle

Damn murderous car. Call it a day and sort recovery with a stiff drink

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Oooh dear, hope you're OK and not in pain.

Just so you know, I have no objection to a timely rebuke, heehee, it's all good fun.

Tags: