Twin Exhaust

Started by Anonymous, December 15, 2004, 09:25

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie, and just wanted to say that the site is awesome and I can't get over how nice everyone is and how informative the site is.....Keep up the good work guys, you are doing a superb job!!!!

Just one question before I go....I wanted to put a dual exhaust on my Roadster and teamed with that a great sounding one. Not too loud, but def got some umph to it when you put your foot down. I have seen some guys talking about the H+S Twin Exhaust and tte, but are these easy to fit? How much are we looking at for the exhaust and a garage to fit it? On the twin exhaust, do they have to cut the body work in any way?

Sorry for the questions guys, but am starting out....

Thanks in advance!!

Anonymous

Some cutting on the underside tray may be needed, but its no biggy to be honest, you can do it yourself, or just remove the tray.  No bodywork cutting is needed unless you want to put the exhaust really high up.

As far as fitting, i pad a mechanic a small fortune to fit mine and he messed up right royally, having messes around and basically refitted it myself in order to get it right I suggest you do it yourself, its easy and fun (well maybe not fun).  Couple of screws, some rubber hangers, tape measure to get the tips aligned.

Anonymous

Are they expensive though?? I really want a twin exhaust too... its a shame they dont come as standard yet the MGF comes with it!! .. and our cars are much nicer!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Think all the info on the Hayward & Scott exhaust is here:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... in+exhaust m

I really want a twin exhaust. I was following an Elise this morning and kept thinking that it had a nice exhaust note. Hmph.

Maybe in the New Year. Am feeling rather skint (as always)   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  .

Anonymous

Tell me about it!! Especially as Ive just brought mine! I really fancy a private plate too!! The twins look so good! I saw a gorgeous TVR on the way to work and the exhausts looks good!!

I might just get them in the new year too... I can save all those Christmas pennys!!

Anonymous

Well, I got mine quite cheap second hand, I reckon thats the way to go,

Anonymous

did you find it on e.bay??

Anonymous

From a member on here,

I posted this thread:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0 m

And got a pm offering me the sale.

Anonymous

So if looking on ebay, what would I search for?

I am not sure about doing it myself, can't imagine what damage i'd do especially cutting into the body work! Anyone on here do it??

Anonymous

My other half is a mechanic and is really good at that sort of thing so Im lucky! he did everything on my Polo before I got the 2'
But he is a little sceptical about taking the bumper off.. manily because if he breaks something he will be in for it!!!

Anonymous

Exactly!!!! Thats the last thing I want!

Anonymous

The bumper is really easy to take off; it's just a bunch of push studs and screws.

I have no mechanical know-how believe me, but I got a socket set from halfords and had the bumper of in about 10 minutes, and that was being slow and careful.

The hardest thing for me was attaching the new exhaust to the cat, for some reason my new exhaust was a different fit, you have 2 screws with springs and I had to push really, really hard to get them back in place.  But I think that was just my exhaust.

You really don't have to cut anything if you don't want, most people don't – those that do know what they're doing to be fair, I certainly wouldn't take a knife or heat gun to my bodywork.

For ebay, I always just search for mr2 roadster and see what comes up.

Anonymous

I love this forum! its great!! Everyone is so helpful and its brilliant that you all know where we are coming from! Maybe I should go to Halfords & try and do it myself.. then he would be impressed!!! .. But I will more than likely drive it round there and leave him to do it whilst I go shopping!! ha ha!! But the twins is what I want to do first.. The other half recons remus' are really ghood and sound pretty phat! His exhuast on the FTO is as big as me!!

Anonymous

Welcome to the club

I live up the road from you in NorthFleet so nice to have a new club member close

have a look at  m http://www.elite-design.co.uk/frameset3.html m

the are over the bridge on the old A13,
Good for tyres and pipes and there prices are good aswell

Anonymous

I wonder if there is anyone that lives close to me?? I have seen a few 2's around but not many...

Anonymous

The remus exhaust is the same as the TTE, its just the TTE is repackaged.

Anonymous

Looks like when I actually get round to buying one I will be coming on here for a step by step! You are right Joanna, this site is excellent!

Maybe when you go shopping and leave yours there for him to do, I could sneakily leave mine there.....go shopping! Do you think he'd notice?

Anonymous

Thanks Maxum.....may have to journey on down there one day! Did you fit your own twin exhaust?

Anonymous

Im sure he wouldnt mind!! Normally he is happy working away as long as he has a constant supply of cups of tea!! when im there i tend to put him off because he cant hit things with hammers without me beginning to panic!! He does a good job though I will give him that! fitted my spings and struts to the polo and a neon ( cough ) kit to the polo.. all of which he brought me for christmas and valentines!! how romantic!!

Anonymous

Will you be fitting neons to your 2? Hehe

Anonymous

hmm nah I dont think so! They did look Ace on the polo though cos it was silver too... blue neons... not rubbish halford ones either!!
Plus I think if i fitted them..correction if Ben fitted them I would be booted off the forum!!   s:D :D s:D

dimwit

Hmm, did'nt have to take the rear bumper off mine fitting the duel pipe  s:? :? s:?  
I think it was Perry190 who done a fitting guide for this...

GSB

Quote from: "dimwit"Hmm, did'nt have to take the rear bumper off mine fitting the duel pipe  s:? :? s:?  

Depends how you go about it. If you have a lift, and are confident that you can undo the three manifold to cat bolts without shearing them off and casuing yourself about 4 hours of grief and loud swearing, then you can remove and install an exhaust from underneath.  However, you can also do it without lifting the car, by removing the rear bumper unit, and then removing the actual bumper bar. This invloves very little crawling around on the floor, and means you can leave the manifold to cat joint alone. The exhaust simply lifts striaght out. Having done it both ways a couple of times, I'd say it was by far the easier method of the two, and has far less chance of things going wrong with regards to sheared bolts.

You can see the sort of access you can get here: (note, the bumper bar is still on in this pic, but it comes off by removing 6 bolts, giving you total access.)

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I see... it sounds pretty straight forward... I will sit Ben down and get him to read that before he does it for me!!!   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Perry's guide is pretty good, I half used that, and half used the guide on spydermagazine.

Tags: