Short journeys

Started by Liz, December 18, 2004, 12:18

Liz

Changed jobs in the last few months and instead of doing a 52 mile round trip everyday on nice A roads, I now do a 4 mile stop/start round trip...fantastic on the petrol stops, 1 and a bit a month opposed to every 5 days..but does this has a detrimental effect on the car???

Should I use the lack of use of the car now as an excuse to take it out now and again to "stretch its legs".

Not causing any problems at present - but just something I was pondering the other day.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

if my Mum's old mini is anything to go by then yes. She only uses it on short journeys and when i've borrowed it in the past it's been sluggish and maxed out at 65mph! after a week of running it to heathrow when mine was in the garage, it would manage a further 15mph and felt as though it was no longer trying to push it's way thru treacle. don't know if  newer technology has made a difference on this sort of thing, maybe it has?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Should I use the lack of use of the car now as an excuse to take it out now and again to "stretch its legs".
Definitely, for your own well being if not the car. I don't believe it is healthy for a spyder owner to drive only 4 miles a day.
As to the car, I did 15 years in the same situation with a couple of Datsuns and a Triumph Spitfire. On the Datsuns I was replacing exhaust systems every 2 years because they never got hot enough to get rid of the condensation in the exhaust pipes, other than that no problems. The Spitfire had a lot of problems - but that was British Leyland, not the short drive.

Tem

Fairsport already mentioned the condensation...another thing is that the battery might never really charge fully with short drives. You may also get carbon buildup in the engine, if you're just driving short distances in traffic. Kanujunkie probably was talking about this though...

So you have three reasons for longer drives  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

As others suggest, I would give it a decent long run and use all the revs, maybe once a week, or fortnight.

Anonymous

I concur with the carbonisation concern. You'll want to bring the car up to full operating temp and high revs from time to time in order to avoid various substances in various places from building up and causing trouble.

Once a week, take the "long" way home. As if you needed an excuse!

Liz

Thanks guys, I always make sure I go home down a country lane nearby where we get up rather quickly to the National speed limit, I have noticed that I can feel the speed alot more now as I don't get to drive it fast too much these days...but more of a thrill now!! No cheap jokes thanks!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: