Double din ideas

Started by amz91, May 23, 2016, 21:30

amz91

What ones would you lovely lot suggest, I'm after a double din that's as simple as can be for our 2's but not too pricey.... Ask a guy at halfords the other day about fittings etc.
£8 for the wires
£30 odd for fittings

Is there any that wouldnt need the new fittings?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

The Other Stu

Quote from: "amz91"What ones would you lovely lot suggest, I'm after a double din that's as simple as can be for our 2's but not too pricey.... Ask a guy at halfords the other day about fittings etc.
£8 for the wires
£30 odd for fittings

Is there any that wouldnt need the new fittings?

I fully intend to document the process (I know others have done it, but there are a lot of things that were assumed)
If you have a unit in there already, you don't need any fittings. The radios are standard DIN holes - you simply need to take the brackets off the side and they will go straight onto a new unit.

Now, the fact that I had to drill 4 of them out because they were in so tight, they either threaded or snapped one of my screwdriver heads!

Fortunately, I have one of those special drill toolsets for doing just this - even then, it took ages for it to bite and pull the screw out.

I bought a cheap chinese Android based one. Just over £100 delivered from Europe.
No Longer Here

amz91

Sorry,  yeah I have the standard pfl double din at the minute, wow so iv been told different stories by a few different people then (probably none of them have ever own a 2).

You have any pictures?

Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

The Other Stu

Quote from: "amz91"Sorry,  yeah I have the standard pfl double din at the minute, wow so iv been told different stories by a few different people then (probably none of them have ever own a 2).

You have any pictures?

I don't at the moment, but I will do.
I used this guide to get at the radio. It's really not that hard.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17670
Particularly, when you look at this picture

You'll see the top "ears". There are bottom ones too.
4 m5 screws on each side hold that bracket on.

I know this is a FL, but the centre console is the same I believe, so I doubt it will be any different with the Sony (?) Radio.

Why not take at least the plastic sides off? It's a 2 minute job.
No Longer Here

Thetroublemaker

I would suggest:

Order the fittings off ebay for half the price or less.

Go to armour automotive's website and get the numbers from their online catalogues.

I would also advise that a Pioneer double din would be the best bang for buck - they have the best onboard amps in the budget end (sub £300) of the market.

Tags: