Uprated clutch questions...

Started by Slacey, January 17, 2005, 14:28

Slacey

I'm on the lookout for a clutch upgrade for when my stocker gives up the ghost with all that extra power running through it, but I am having trouble deciding what to go for.

As per an earlier thread, TTE reccomend the use of a T-Sport clutch from the 2ZZ derived Celica / Corolla - while this is the cost effective route (parts are less than £100 from dealer), I'm not convinced it will do the job, as lets face it just about all of the aftermarket turbo kits put out more power than the TTE one (if it ever appears).

So, what would those that have upgraded recommend? I've looked at the RPS, Exedy and the new SPEC range, but can't decide which of the four (including the T-Sport) would be the best choice. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for these as well?

Finally, how hard is it to install said clutch (and flywheel) for the home mechanic? Although Toyota are cheap for the parts, they aren't cheap for the install!

TIA  s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

You can get hold of an RPS clutch from Envy (here), for about £250.

A lot more expensive than the Toyota one, but if it holds the power better then it's got to be worth it.

mph

Quote from: "Slacey"Finally, how hard is it to install said clutch (and flywheel) for the home mechanic? Although Toyota are cheap for the parts, they aren't cheap for the install!
The book time is about 7hrs. Toyota charged me for 10, but actually took 13hrs. It's not a difficult job, just a lot of slog to get to it and reassemble afterwards.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

I've got a ACT clutch and i know Daz put one in his SMT, but he imported it from over the pond. I've had mine for over a year now sat in it's box, waiting for the stock to give up,but it is is still holding after nearly 2years turbo'd.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Doesn't really help you choose but it's another make to consider.

Slacey

Thanks Ian. I intend to run the stocker until it goes anyway, I just want to get the stuff in ready, although two yers on the stock clutch sounds like I might have a bit of a wait!

Tem

Love my TRD clutch, but can't really compare it to anything else...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

Tem,

Don't you find the TRD clutch too hard.  I have it fitted in Kerries and there is a very short biting point its like having an on/off switch.

To get a good pull away you have to give it some throttle and bring the clutch up quite fast.

Are all performance clutches like this?

It was the same in my 93 turbo as well.

markiii

having gasped in astonishment at how long changing the clutch takes to change, I was exploring teh manual further.

In addition to the actual clutch plate there appears to be a number of other bits that may or not need to bre replaced;

Release bearing
Clutch cover (containing Diaphragm spring)

does anyone know which clutch kits include all of these,

i.e does teh T-sport, TRD, RPS

and are they striclty necessary?

Theymay as well be done while in there but having had a £100 quote for the T-sport clutch I have to ask just what is included for teh price.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Every single time I've changed a clutch, and I have changed quite a few, they come complete with the release bearing, and the cover/spring assembley.

Personal best for a complete clutch change... 25 minutes.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Mark, the £100 T-Sport was for the clutch plate and release bearing, the cover was another £80 or so. As far as I know, the SPEC range of clutches come with everything, and I think most of the RPS ones do, but I have seen them advertised as not including the bearing / cover.

markiii

interesting, I would have expected that the diaphram spring was specific to teh clutch?

i.e you need a new cover as well, or do people think that as long as it's in good nick the oem will be fine?

Grant if you can change this onein 25 mins onsider yourself volunteered  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"interesting, I would have expected that the diaphram spring was specific to the clutch?

i.e you need a new cover as well, or do people think that as long as it's in good nick the oem will be fine?
That was my line of thinking, but what I know about clutches can be written on a fag packet (10 pack at that)

markiii

yep clutchs are a bit new for me as well.

oh well the funs in teh learning

Anonymous

Slacey.  FWIW, when I had the 1ZZ clutch and the 2ZZ clutch side by side they seemed to me 100% identical.  The motors share about the same torque numbers so I have a suspicion that the stock clutches are identical.  Pressure plate and release bearing where also 100% the same...at least from what I can remember.

If I where you I would go with an aftermarket kit which should have clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing.

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"i
Grant if you can change this onein 25 mins onsider yourself volunteered  :-) :-) :-)

Only if you intend to turbocharge a mk2 Vauxhall Astra. Easiest job in the world, you dont even to split the engine and box!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Tem,

Don't you find the TRD clutch too hard.  I have it fitted in Kerries and there is a very short biting point its like having an on/off switch.

To get a good pull away you have to give it some throttle and bring the clutch up quite fast.

Not at all. Once you get used to it, you can easily get the car rolling from idle with just the clutch, never even touching the gas pedal  s8) 8) s8)

I wonder if you got the metal clutch? That's pretty much on/off at least in Corolla. I have the Sports clutch myself and I feel the car should've come with that  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/d_clutch.html m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

I suspect Adam, you have a paddle clutch again.

very easy to stall

Tags: