My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

The Other Stu

Del, they are a lost cause. Many have tried. None have succeeded.
EIther order them of Hamish (recommended) or get some Prius ones.
No Longer Here

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Attempt number 3 at replacing the front fog bulbs and drying out/sealing the units. Got the front bumper fully removed for the first time. Previously it had been hanging from the bottom (I'd been removing the wrong bottom bolts - 5 bolts that hold the rubber chin on, instead of the 3 bolts behind them which go into the, erm, chassis?).
I managed to shear the head off 2 of the 3 underside bolts.  That's 1 of the 4 top bolts, 2 of the 3 bottom bolts, and 1 of the 5 rubber chin screw heads sheared. I probably should have sprayed with more WD40 and waited a little longer before attempting. Anyway, I'll order up some spare bolts and set about using my dremmel and tap/die set next time and practice removing the stuck bolts.  I reckon drilling/tapping might be an invaluable skill to learn judging by the state of the car underneath
Practicing rubbing down/treating/priming and re-painting of rusty surfaces will be next skill to learn after that.

Once the bumper was off and the cable clips were removed from the bulbs, I had to pry at a some plastic tabs to release the foglights from their housings

There is a black plastic shroud/surround for an adjustment screw, that I had to pry inwards and push through the hole

There was a large tab on one side of the lamp that had to be prised out a bit - once that was loose, the lamp kind of slides and pushes out of the hole at the other side

Once released, I got a good look at the lamp housings which looked very badly corroded.  I wasn't able to unscrew the bulbs to release them, and the 3 x retaining screws on the plastic collar, although looking good on the head, were completely seized within the thread and the driver was just chewing at the slotted head.  Don't like waste, but I'm thinking these are a lost cause.

10 A2 M6 screws and washers £2 from Screwfix, dab of copperslip and Bobs your Uncle..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Quote from: "The Other Stu"Del, they are a lost cause. Many have tried. None have succeeded.
EIther order them of Hamish (recommended) or get some Prius ones.
*sigh* Yeah. Lol! I gave a pathetic little attempt at trying to clean them up with a wire brush (I was thinking if I looked at them long enough I'd eventually figure out a way to fix them up!). Total lost cause  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

The Other Stu

They get water inside and it makes the silver coating corrode and worm.
No Longer Here

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"10 A2 M6 screws and washers £2 from Screwfix, dab of copperslip and Bobs your Uncle..
!! - You must be McGuyver - or a member of the A-team - or pulling me leg?  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

Quote from: "The Other Stu"They get water inside and it makes the silver coating corrode and worm.

Hi Derek, (delhusband), I brought my fogs from Hamish and one was fitted at Shinding on Saturday, it looks good.  It did fit fine although I think the wiring was the wrong way up or something but Stu I'm sure will elaborate further as he made it fit and look easy.  s:D :D s:D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"10 A2 M6 screws and washers £2 from Screwfix, dab of copperslip and Bobs your Uncle..
!! - You must be McGuyver - or a member of the A-team - or pulling me leg?  s:) :) s:)
Nope. 10 x 16mm A2 stainless for 50p, 10 washers for £1.50. Unless you want penny washers then you're talking big money!
If you're feeling really saucy you can get 100 screws for £2.50...

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Nope. 10 x 16mm A2 stainless for 50p, 10 washers for £1.50. Unless you want penny washers then you're talking big money!
Sorry, my bad, I'm an idiot - I thought you were talking about something for fixing fogs (I'm being really slow this evening) - are you talking about these being replacements for the bolts I sheared? If so then that sounds like a good idea - wasn't sure about the thread sizes, was going to check - cheers for that  s:D :D s:D
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "delhusband"!! - You must be McGuyver - or a member of the A-team - or pulling me leg?  s:) :) s:)
Sorry, my bad, I'm an idiot - I thought you were talking about something for fixing fogs (I'm being really slow this evening) - are you talking about these being replacements for the bolts I sheared? If so then that sounds like a good idea - wasn't sure about the thread sizes, was going to check - cheers for that  s:D :D s:D
Nah mate, you're not an idiot, I tried to insert it into the relevant section of your initial post and failed dismally so I'm as bad!
All the ones that screw into the frame/chassis are 6s, assuming they're original and not tapped out to 8s like some of mine [emoji23]. The machine screws that go into the plastic panel clips are a bit harder to get hold of, I usually fill my socket set with them when I get the chance at the scrappers!
Almost filled it with a pair of seats out of a Celica on Sunday but the driver's was a bit too far gone.

The Other Stu

Quote from: "Chilli Girl"
Quote from: "The Other Stu"They get water inside and it makes the silver coating corrode and worm.

Hi Derek, (delhusband), I brought my fogs from Hamish and one was fitted at Shinding on Saturday, it looks good.  It did fit fine although I think the wiring was the wrong way up or something but Stu I'm sure will elaborate further as he made it fit and look easy.  s:D :D s:D
Derailing the thread somewhat, but I've PMed Hamish  s:) :) s:)

Back on track, fwiw, most of my bumper is held on with tie wraps. I know I'm not the only one.
No Longer Here

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "The Other Stu"

Derailing the thread somewhat, but I've PMed Hamish  s:) :) s:)

Back on track, fwiw, most of my bumper is held on with tie wraps. I know I'm not the only one.
It's the 3 plastic pegs holding the rear bumper up to the underside of the slam panel that really annoy me, next time it's off I'll be fettling an alternative but I'm not sure I can get my rivnut fitting tool up in their.

delhusband

Shinding looked really good, just seen some pictures  s:) :) s:)  Mind me asking what Hamish was asking for, for a set? I'm not really in too much of a rush (I'm not sure, but I don't think front fogs not working would be an MOT fail, would it? If they would be a fail, then I've got a while anyway)
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "The Other Stu"Derailing the thread somewhat, but I've PMed Hamish  s:) :) s:)
Don't mind in the slightest, I like a blether, it's good company on here  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Shinding looked really good, just seen some pictures  s:) :) s:)  Mind me asking what Hamish was asking for, for a set? I'm not really in too much of a rush (I'm not sure, but I don't think front fogs not working would be an MOT fail, would it? If they would be a fail, then I've got a while anyway)
Fronts no, rears yes...

2 of the left

Del, My fogs still shining but tonight, ordered Halo / DRL/LED fogs from Hamish - £109.99- Chilli girl put me onto him His Forum name is hamspeed Hope this helps
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

delhusband

Quote from: "2 of the left"Del, My fogs still shining but tonight, ordered Halo / DRL/LED fogs from Hamish - £109.99- Chilli girl put me onto him His Forum name is hamspeed Hope this helps
Spot on, cheers for that, maybe Sept payday then - already got plans for next payslip  s:) :) s:)  - PM me if you're selling
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

Selling??? Which one??? The two fogs in situ have water and crud on the inside hence the refit!!

delhusband

Quote from: "2 of the left"Selling??? Which one??? The two fogs in situ have water and crud on the inside hence the refit!!
Ah, no worries, thought you were swapping out for cosmetic reasons when you said they were still shining   s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

Refitting because the lamps will finally blow!!

Chilli Girl

Think I paid £50 for my pair of fogs from Hamish, not DRL's tho.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

The Other Stu

Yup, I think that's what they cost there Jane.

Del, which one do you need? I have a pair sat outside my back door. One of them is good, I can't remember which. ISTR it's the passenger side.
No Longer Here

delhusband

I'm Scottish, the cheapest please  s;) ;) s;)  

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk
Hate pointy animals

The Other Stu

No, I mean which one of yours is knacked?
No Longer Here

delhusband

Both are bust  s:( :( s:(

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

Del- I have PM'd you

Tags: