Frozen washers

Started by Anonymous, February 28, 2005, 13:10

Anonymous

Hi all:

For the first time I suffered this morning with frozen windscreen washer nozzles.  I guess the '2 is succeptible to this, with there not being an engine up front to warm them, but I've never had this problem before.  I was surprised because I had only just filled the bottle, which was almost empty, with a really strong screenwash solution, probably about 50/50 because I knew that foul cold weather was on the way.  (Tem, I mean cold for the UK!).  

Does screenwash freeze easier when too strong?  Or do I have some crap screenwash?  

btw, the car was garaged last night and I reckon the temp didn't go more than a couple of degrees below freezing.  

thanks,
Andy

Anonymous

You prob had the old stuff in the lines?

The stronger the solution the less likely to freeze it is normally

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"You prob had the old stuff in the lines?

Either that, or you got some frozen moisture on the nozzles themselves and the fluid itself would be just fine...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"You prob had the old stuff in the lines?  
Good idea, but I don't think so, there was semi-frozen green slush (screenwash green, not slime green!) oozing slowly out of the nozzles.  

Quote from: "bigun007"The stronger the solution the less likely to freeze it is normally
I thought that was the general idea, hence my surprise!

roger

Quote from: "Andy S"there was semi-frozen green slush (screenwash green, not slime green!) oozing slowly out of the nozzles.  

Could it have been as simple as slightly blocked jets? Maybe worth a "pin" tonight.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

My jets froze this morning   s:( :( s:(  . They have been really good all winter but today there was a layer of think ice all over the car.

I know my screenwash is only suitable to -4C so I just figured it had all frozen last night.

Tem

Quote from: "fraz"I know my screenwash is only suitable to -4C so I just figured it had all frozen last night.

You should use stronger stuff which doesn't freeze in the worst case temperatures that you might possibly get. Getting no fluid is no big deal, but freezing can actually break the windshield washer pump (don't ask me how I know  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and it's not the cheapest pump in the world  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Must have been frozen, possibly old fluid right in the end of the nozzle?  Was fine when I left work.

Cheers
Andy

Tags: